Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 312397 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1320 on: June 27, 2019, 01:41:40 pm »
Sorted and washed a lovely Leicester longwool fleece :) :)
Ooo nice,any pictures ?
Of the sheep?  It belongs to Hampton Paddock and stables of Sledmere house, there may be pictures of Victor on their facebook/web pages.  Members of the York Guild of Weavers, Spinners & Dyers have been asked to spin their fleeces at an open day on 8 September.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1321 on: June 27, 2019, 11:58:23 pm »
Went to Birmingham ( and back ) , coming back up it was so nice to see so much hay being made, in places the smell of drying grass was quite pervasive , through Cumbria we saw an old chap on a power major turning a field alongside the motorway , I had my driver give a couple of toots,I waved and he waved his cap back in return !

The pointy shoe'd suits in the back didnt understand, sad having to explain how and why hay is made and the reason "costabucks" dont sell it with or without sprinkles. ( And it wasn't the aircon that made the car chilly after that  :D :D :D )
I like my retirement, but do enjoy the occasional tasks ( well paid ). But I am more and more concerned at the lack of knowledge and appreciation of farming and food production.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #1322 on: August 03, 2019, 08:26:51 pm »
Today i have been mainly looking after the 400 piglets born in the last two days. One lovely sow kindly gave us 21 of those. Suffice to say i am now sitting down and relaxing with a lovely coconut rum and coke. Just to help relax.... honest  :innocent:
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1323 on: August 03, 2019, 11:14:39 pm »
Today i have been mainly looking after the 400 piglets born in the last two days. One lovely sow kindly gave us 21 of those. Suffice to say i am now sitting down and relaxing with a lovely coconut rum and coke. Just to help relax.... honest  :innocent:
21 ! thats good , enough milk or are some swapping round going on ?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1324 on: August 04, 2019, 12:42:04 am »
And moments after my last post the heat detector in the steading goes off.A few large hay bales have heated up quickly, and have been dragged out into the park.the rest have been probed ,so far at a safe temperature.

But hay making this year done by someone else, I’m in two minds as to start doing it myself again.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1325 on: August 04, 2019, 09:50:28 am »
These have been outside for over 2 weeks, so thought to be safe to store. Moving them has been a struggle not having the equipment any more  :(   made worse with my lack of mobility nowadays .
I've been checking the remaining bales  :-\ :-\ :-\    this what happens when you are at the mercy of others.

Meanwhile I have started a shopping list for the future, I have seen an Abbriata mini square baler I like the look of , a mower , new pair of Heavy Duty  legs ( only allowed 25kg with these ones ) a turner , oh and an improved sense of humor...............

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1326 on: August 04, 2019, 11:45:18 am »
I wouldn't consider the mini round for hay too slow to make , and poor for stacking and of course the density / weight ratio , ideal for haylage though.
As for self powered balers, there are many, even a standard super hayliner baler with engine on top , belt drive to flywheel, very popular with the Amish farmers, the alpine farmers have lots of self powered stuff too, but its all abroad .
I rang the dealer about the Abbriata* small baler as its by forfar , its 3yr old and he wants more than the new price €8750 inc tax it sells for in Italy !!! ( transport from Italy non urgent groupage as long as its delivered by 04/20 is €400 ).
I will no doubt call again if its still for sale out of season.

* very low power requirement 20hp

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #1327 on: August 04, 2019, 04:34:22 pm »
21 ! thats good , enough milk or are some swapping round going on ?

We normally only leave a sow on max of 13. That is to reduce fighting over teats and to help stop crush deaths. So we removed 9 piglets from her and placed them on other sows who had less.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #1328 on: August 09, 2019, 09:06:21 am »
So I am now fighting the weather a bit but have finally started making progress on some land management. The hedges have had a cut back as it was getting to the point that I couldn't get the cars down the track. The old topper has now been replaced by something a bit more cooperative and the first field is looking good after a cut and water (courtesy of the rain storms). I've got a couple more fields to do and the over grown scrub land areas around the yard so here's hoping that the weather forecast is a bit kinder than expected in Swansea this weekend!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1329 on: August 09, 2019, 07:20:07 pm »
I've got a couple more fields to do and the over grown scrub land areas around the yard so here's hoping that the weather forecast is a bit kinder than expected in Swansea this weekend!
Hate to tell you, you can top in the rain  :gloomy:
sorry.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #1330 on: August 10, 2019, 11:42:16 am »
Yeah, sadly I know. I was being overly optimistic that the forecast was very wrong. Looking out the window this morning however I think the tractor will be staying in the barn this weekend.

I should have known really, it's like buying a new bbq if you want to guarantee the worst summer ever!

Oh well if it stops raining for long enough I might go and sort through the junk piles left by the previous owner.

Have a good weekend all

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1331 on: August 23, 2019, 08:30:15 am »
This morning I discovered that it's very difficult to get a quarter of a tonne of pig to go anywhere it's not interested in going.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1332 on: August 23, 2019, 10:17:26 am »
This morning I discovered that it's very difficult to get a quarter of a tonne of pig to go anywhere it's not interested in going.
Try pointing it in the opposite direction. I find this works,with "executives". Same thing in my experience  ;)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1333 on: August 23, 2019, 02:46:01 pm »
Collecting wasps in my kitchen.  I opened the windows to let a breeze through and am now working out how to evict a hundred or so of the bleeders.

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #1334 on: August 23, 2019, 04:15:53 pm »
Topped my wildflower meadow. Give it a few days to dry and drop seed, and I'll rake the cuttings off to the side.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS