Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 331982 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1350 on: April 12, 2021, 10:42:31 pm »
.... sitting for an hour in my daughter's car on a tour of Falkirk, looking for the Community hospital, then waiting for two more hours to be tested for glaucoma.  Then I spent the afternoon waiting for my eyes to settle down after the drops they put in to examine them.  Thankful I'm borderline so am on one drop in one eye per evening. Spent the evening pottering in the garden and putting in some veg seeds
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1351 on: April 12, 2021, 11:20:05 pm »

[member=26320]doganjo[/member] - are you ok now?  Was this a routine check, or is there something up that made you go and get checked out?

Bit late [member=2128]Womble[/member]

I know, I know. In my defence, it was snowing at the time, therefore still winter. My dream is that one day I'll have time to do farm jobs at a time of my choosing, or even when they need doing, rather than forever chasing my tail  :(

TBH it's all really depressing. At the moment feels as though more effort is needed in every area of life - but I just don't have enough time or energy for any of it  :gloomy: .

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #1352 on: April 13, 2021, 04:41:11 pm »
No, my eyesight is fine, thanks, David. I get tested every year, and just got new specs. Specsavers picked it up last year when I had my eyes tested as normal.  Put in a referral and I've only just been able to take up the appointment now due to covid restrictions. Because of the eye drops I wasn't allowed to drive there, but luckily schools are on holiday now so Sarah was able to take me.  No big deal, just means a drop in that eye every night for the rest of my days.

Today I finished making the gothic house in the photo, and the furniture too.  Only problem is there's too much furniture for that house so I'll have to buy another one.  Story of my life  :innocent:  Still have to do teh soft furnishings so I need to rake around the cupboards for bits of material

But the sun is shining and it's not cold so I've been planting out the wildflower plants I grew from seed last year.

Next item on the list is Missy's walk, but she's a wee bit tired at the moment.  That mouse that managed to climb 14 feet up the brick wall to my balcony has been chased from one end to the other a zillion times. :roflanim: :roflanim:

After Friday though, we can travel outwith our counties so she'll get a good run at one of the RunFree fields soon,

The second picture shows a wee raised bed I made out of offcuts
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:42:58 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1353 on: April 14, 2021, 01:27:35 pm »
The snow has gone, just a frost first thing and a clear blue sky with no breeze so quite warm,  a morning for sitting in the sun, to make my day the swallows have arrived , I heard them first then there they were. Better than any medication the NHS can supply !!  :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine:

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #1354 on: April 14, 2021, 04:00:30 pm »
Its also a beautiful warm sunny day here - definitely time for sitting in the garden but not me, I have to go and  ruin the day by planting potatoes! 
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #1355 on: April 14, 2021, 07:03:19 pm »
... watching nothing happen.  (As of today, it's lambing time here, but the girls are apparently in no hurry...)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1356 on: April 14, 2021, 07:46:35 pm »
94 lengths swimming today, along with a lot of s**t shifting off the winter loafing area for the equines.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #1357 on: April 15, 2021, 11:02:18 am »
94 lengths swimming today, along with a lot of s**t shifting off the winter loafing area for the equines.
Show off  :innocent:

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #1358 on: April 15, 2021, 08:04:29 pm »
What a lovely house, doganjo!  :thumbsup:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #1359 on: April 16, 2021, 12:14:47 am »
Does anybody know the required cover depth when encasing a council building control officer in concrete?

Asking for a friend.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #1360 on: April 16, 2021, 08:53:11 am »
Does anybody know the required cover depth when encasing a council building control officer in concrete?

Asking for a friend.
Depends on whether Its a one or two storey extension..
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #1361 on: April 16, 2021, 09:30:25 am »
It's actually only a gutter water drainpipe. But you wouldn't believe the hassle it's causing.

HappyHippy

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #1362 on: April 16, 2021, 11:30:02 am »
It's actually only a gutter water drainpipe. But you wouldn't believe the hassle it's causing.
Having dealt with building control, yes I would! You have my sympathies.

I have been stripping out old fences and getting things ready for new ones going in, thinning out wayward hazel and ash trees and generally trying to tidy up. It's amazing how much difference a bit of sunshine makes  :sunshine:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #1363 on: April 16, 2021, 12:21:35 pm »
What a lovely house, doganjo!  :thumbsup:
Thank you, it's been fun making it.  My friend does a lot of sewing and she has offered me scraps of material for curtains, bedding, flooring etc.  Only problem is that the kit with the furniture has just too many pieces for that house, so I'll have to buy another one  :roflanim:  Great excuse, but the sun's out and the garden calls so it'll have to wait for autumnal weather  :innocent:

wildandwooly

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #1364 on: April 16, 2021, 12:24:38 pm »
I've been laughing at the thought of covering a council officer in concrete  :roflanim:
Also picking up bits of 'rooed' Shetland sheep fleece ( they're probably just thrown by the sudden warm sunny days and no snow at last :D)
Also planting carrot and bean seeds in the greenhouse and making blueberry muffins  :yum:
At least I can sit outside with my cuppa and a muffin in the sun and just listen to the birds. Bliss. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS