Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 332587 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1395 on: August 14, 2021, 07:54:53 pm »
Removing ethanol from petrol .
After initial trials the cleaned fuel burns better and stores better, things like brush cutter, chainsaw and small gennys  and  power sythe all start with ease and run smoother.
Theres nothing worse or frustrating cursing and swearing at a generator ala Basil Fawlty in minus double digit temperatures when the power goes out again.
Time consuming yes , but in my opinion worth it. Its a shame that ethanol free fuel isn't available in our area( Esso Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97  ) and Aspen is now about £5 a litre .

( If you hear a bang and low rumble from the Aberdeenshire direction It may have been Me !! )
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 07:58:05 pm by Rupert the bear »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #1396 on: August 14, 2021, 09:34:22 pm »
After initial trials the cleaned fuel burns better and stores better, things like brush cutter, chainsaw and small gennys  and  power sythe all start with ease and run smoother.
Theres nothing worse or frustrating cursing and swearing at a generator ala Basil Fawlty in minus double digit temperatures when the power goes out again.
Time consuming yes , but in my opinion worth it. Its a shame that ethanol free fuel isn't available in our area( Esso Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97  ) and Aspen is now about £5 a litre .

Tell me, once one has removed the ethanol, how/where does one dispose of it ?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1397 on: August 14, 2021, 10:17:10 pm »

Tell me, once one has removed the ethanol, how/where does one dispose of it ?

I makes a very good cleaning agent / degreaser / sanitiser, although it has a wiff of petrol about it ! good for lighting the bonfire, I dont get a lot at the moment as its only 5% in petrol and it soon gets used up, and I'm not desperate enough to use it in home brewing :)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1398 on: August 15, 2021, 10:23:13 pm »
How do you remove ethanol from petrol?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #1399 on: August 16, 2021, 12:37:25 am »
[member=75709]Buttermilk[/member] it involves adding water to petrol (!!), shaking and waiting a bit of time for the ethanol in the petrol to attach itself to the water and then draining-off the heavier ethanol/water mix from bottom of the mixing tank.
Plenty of YouTube guides.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 01:00:09 am by arobwk »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1400 on: August 16, 2021, 12:59:16 pm »
Here's a  youtube video of the basic process   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCG7mIprfE   In addition I filter the finnished result in a "MR Filter"  that removes any remaining water.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS