Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 312413 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1305 on: May 03, 2019, 11:45:07 pm »
I first fed swallows a few years back,it takes a while but they get it in the end . Crumble dried mealworms add water to make a sloppy gruel in a shallow dish,easy bit done. I first put dish on floor but soon realised too vulnerable and not in line of flight.
Find somewhere in the flightpath near a favoured entry/exit point.mine is on the top of an old dresser by the end door of the steading,keep it wet ,best placed/checked when they aren’t looking/asleep .It may take awhile for them to get used to something new leaving some handy nest building material (tumble dryer fluff) can help too.
Leave them to it,in the cold it will last 4/5 days before it needs changing any left goes to the blackbirds at the other end of the steading , try not to let them see where it’s come from,honest it they find the dish it will get mobbed.

At one time we had an insec o cutor light that attracted insects that was popular  those that didn’t get zapped got caught ant the fried ones tipped out on a plate.
Give it a try they do learn eventually

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #1306 on: May 04, 2019, 01:02:43 am »
Thanks, will see what i can do. We have a big insect o cut or in the barn, don't think it got cleaned out before winter though  :yuck:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1307 on: May 04, 2019, 11:50:47 pm »
Spent the day at Harper Adams University https://www.harper-adams.ac.uk/ as they had a Field to Fork family festival. Absolutely great day out for everyone. Lots of information about farming and food production suitable for all ages. Plenty to keep little ones engaged, including a large model cow for them to try their hand at 'milking'. and lots and lots of food. I tried plenty of samples. We didn't need dinner when we get home.  :roflanim:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1308 on: May 14, 2019, 10:33:46 pm »
Got ambushed
Come for a coffee says ex work mate.
So I did, cakes too.halfway through our bitchfest the boss turned up
Slap on back followed by “doing much these days ? I hear
Xxxx company was looking for you “ Uh oh thinks I,
Lots to do at home ,dunno how I had time to work etc etc
I trot out.
So, I’m off to Dundee in the morning,it’s a one off as favour
And to get the use of a truck to move straw !!!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1309 on: May 15, 2019, 06:08:31 pm »
yep ! went to Dundee,we looked at the river looked at the port operations,looked at a lunch, pointed out stuff and came home ,will compose a plan in due course .

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1310 on: May 15, 2019, 11:19:05 pm »
I've been making the most of the lovely weather to get out in the garden, getting my veg beds productive.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1311 on: May 26, 2019, 06:14:47 pm »
Road mending in the rain , filling the winters potholes the roman way, big then medium then small stones then dust.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1312 on: May 31, 2019, 03:11:34 pm »
I just paid for our borrowed tup last autumn; £5 per live lamb born. The trouble is, what do I categorise it as in the accounts?  It's not livestock purchase and it's not veterinary......

I settled for "tool and equipment hire" in the end  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1313 on: June 01, 2019, 12:30:14 am »
My goat shed and yard area is now converted into an area of raised beds and pots of flowers. I'm calling it my flower terrace as we already have a patio. Today I sat in there with my crochet and enjoyed the sunshine. Yes, I still miss keeping goats but it helps to have something completely different in their place.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #1314 on: June 20, 2019, 02:07:42 pm »
Chocolating, cutting, sticking, jamming and icing various cakes for the tea tent at local gala on Saturday.  (Doune, Stirling if anyone fancies a selection of Homemade cakes  ;) )  Brownies are doing the teas, well myself (Tawny Owl) and Brown Owl are making the cakes and dishing out the teas, complete with fancy dress.  Something involving a sieve and forensic type all in one suit I’m lead to believe!
Got a few meetings tonight then more cake icing tomorrow and more shuffling of boxes in the fridge to get everything in......

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #1315 on: June 22, 2019, 07:54:39 am »
After another day of icing cakes and reshuffling tubs I managed to get what needed to go in the fridge and even better keep the fridge door shut  :excited:  lots of tubs and cool blocks scattered round the coolest parts of the flat and an ever so slightly (not!) panic that I’d forgotten to make something as I still had spare tubs  :thinking:

A new day dawns and having loaded everything except cakes into the car I’m off to set up the tables after the ceilidh last night ....... no I didn’t go to that, I was asleep before 9pm !!!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1316 on: June 22, 2019, 12:06:23 pm »
Sorted and washed a lovely Leicester longwool fleece :) :)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1317 on: June 26, 2019, 08:56:00 pm »
listening to the swallows and standing/sitting guard in the sun outside the steading.
tomorrow however..............

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1318 on: June 26, 2019, 10:21:56 pm »
Sorted and washed a lovely Leicester longwool fleece :) :)
Ooo nice,any pictures ?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1319 on: June 26, 2019, 10:30:58 pm »
I stole a rabbit today.

Then I had to make a run for it.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS