NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 190131 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1350 on: May 31, 2019, 03:11:34 pm »
I just paid for our borrowed tup last autumn; £5 per live lamb born. The trouble is, what do I categorise it as in the accounts?  It's not livestock purchase and it's not veterinary......

I settled for "tool and equipment hire" in the end  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett
Voss Electric Fence

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1351 on: June 01, 2019, 12:30:14 am »
My goat shed and yard area is now converted into an area of raised beds and pots of flowers. I'm calling it my flower terrace as we already have a patio. Today I sat in there with my crochet and enjoyed the sunshine. Yes, I still miss keeping goats but it helps to have something completely different in their place.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #1352 on: June 20, 2019, 02:07:42 pm »
Chocolating, cutting, sticking, jamming and icing various cakes for the tea tent at local gala on Saturday.  (Doune, Stirling if anyone fancies a selection of Homemade cakes  ;) )  Brownies are doing the teas, well myself (Tawny Owl) and Brown Owl are making the cakes and dishing out the teas, complete with fancy dress.  Something involving a sieve and forensic type all in one suit I’m lead to believe!
Got a few meetings tonight then more cake icing tomorrow and more shuffling of boxes in the fridge to get everything in......

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #1353 on: June 22, 2019, 07:54:39 am »
After another day of icing cakes and reshuffling tubs I managed to get what needed to go in the fridge and even better keep the fridge door shut  :excited:  lots of tubs and cool blocks scattered round the coolest parts of the flat and an ever so slightly (not!) panic that I’d forgotten to make something as I still had spare tubs  :thinking:

A new day dawns and having loaded everything except cakes into the car I’m off to set up the tables after the ceilidh last night ....... no I didn’t go to that, I was asleep before 9pm !!!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1354 on: June 22, 2019, 12:06:23 pm »
Sorted and washed a lovely Leicester longwool fleece :) :)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1355 on: June 26, 2019, 08:56:00 pm »
listening to the swallows and standing/sitting guard in the sun outside the steading.
tomorrow however..............

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1356 on: June 26, 2019, 10:21:56 pm »
Ooo nice,any pictures ?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1357 on: June 26, 2019, 10:30:58 pm »
I stole a rabbit today.

Then I had to make a run for it.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1358 on: June 27, 2019, 01:41:40 pm »
Ooo nice,any pictures ?
Of the sheep?  It belongs to Hampton Paddock and stables of Sledmere house, there may be pictures of Victor on their facebook/web pages.  Members of the York Guild of Weavers, Spinners & Dyers have been asked to spin their fleeces at an open day on 8 September.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1359 on: June 27, 2019, 11:58:23 pm »
Went to Birmingham ( and back ) , coming back up it was so nice to see so much hay being made, in places the smell of drying grass was quite pervasive , through Cumbria we saw an old chap on a power major turning a field alongside the motorway , I had my driver give a couple of toots,I waved and he waved his cap back in return !

The pointy shoe'd suits in the back didnt understand, sad having to explain how and why hay is made and the reason "costabucks" dont sell it with or without sprinkles. ( And it wasn't the aircon that made the car chilly after that  :D :D :D )
I like my retirement, but do enjoy the occasional tasks ( well paid ). But I am more and more concerned at the lack of knowledge and appreciation of farming and food production.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #1360 on: August 03, 2019, 08:26:51 pm »
Today i have been mainly looking after the 400 piglets born in the last two days. One lovely sow kindly gave us 21 of those. Suffice to say i am now sitting down and relaxing with a lovely coconut rum and coke. Just to help relax.... honest  :innocent:
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1361 on: August 03, 2019, 11:14:39 pm »
Today i have been mainly looking after the 400 piglets born in the last two days. One lovely sow kindly gave us 21 of those. Suffice to say i am now sitting down and relaxing with a lovely coconut rum and coke. Just to help relax.... honest  :innocent:
21 ! thats good , enough milk or are some swapping round going on ?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1362 on: August 04, 2019, 12:42:04 am »
And moments after my last post the heat detector in the steading goes off.A few large hay bales have heated up quickly, and have been dragged out into the park.the rest have been probed ,so far at a safe temperature.

But hay making this year done by someone else, I’m in two minds as to start doing it myself again.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1363 on: August 04, 2019, 09:00:40 am »
And moments after my last post the heat detector in the steading goes off.A few large hay bales have heated up quickly, and have been dragged out into the park.the rest have been probed ,so far at a safe temperature.

But hay making this year done by someone else, I’m in two minds as to start doing it myself again.

Mine always sit out for a fortnight to 3 weeks before coming in... I'd be interested if you did start again. I'm desperate for small bales but the contractors never do what they've been asked and always have some excuse and a promise to return to rebate them that never happens.  It's killing me trying to shift the big ones by hand... I guess I'm not as young as I once was.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1364 on: August 04, 2019, 09:50:28 am »
These have been outside for over 2 weeks, so thought to be safe to store. Moving them has been a struggle not having the equipment any more  :(   made worse with my lack of mobility nowadays .
I've been checking the remaining bales  :-\ :-\ :-\    this what happens when you are at the mercy of others.

Meanwhile I have started a shopping list for the future, I have seen an Abbriata mini square baler I like the look of , a mower , new pair of Heavy Duty  legs ( only allowed 25kg with these ones ) a turner , oh and an improved sense of humor...............

Is there something about today?

Started by Lizmar

Replies: 7
Views: 2376
Last post August 12, 2009, 08:35:04 pm
by northfifeduckling
Who can top this today?

Started by cameldairy

Replies: 16
Views: 4936
Last post October 05, 2009, 03:24:18 pm
by sandy
What did you do today?

Started by valr

Replies: 37
Views: 8851
Last post July 18, 2010, 08:31:42 am
by Wizard
So what did you do today?

Started by bloomer

Replies: 24
Views: 6442
Last post September 05, 2010, 11:51:43 am
by ballingall
what did you do today?

Started by northfifeduckling

Replies: 52
Views: 13429
Last post October 24, 2010, 09:43:04 am
by ballingall

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS