NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 184968 times)

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1365 on: August 04, 2019, 10:55:30 am »
There's a mini round on eBay at the moment for <5k.  I don't have a tractor though and it seems pointless to buy one just for doing hay.  I don't understand why no one makes a "self drive" baler that the quad or truck could tow... there's a definite gap in the market for us smallholders and it surely wouldn't be a difficult conversion to put an engine on instead of a PTO (same with turners). I'll maybe have a word with Pete Murray next time I see him and see if it's something he'd consider doing a conversion for me before he retires...  At least I won't be asking just before the Highland Show like I usually do!!!

By my reckoning there's a few of us smallholders that could buy the various bits between us and then "mob" the properties in the area to cut turn and bale in good weather... like an old fashioned cooperative and not one where if you've got less than a 50Ha field you're on the list after the rainstorm because the machinery ring has bigger fish to fry.  Ooh, and the other advantage would be less likely having to do a bunch of fencing once the contractors leave because they've failed to negotiate the gates despite there being a minimum of 3 foot of clearance....

I don't think the sense of humour needs renewal though!
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.
Voss Electric Fence

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1366 on: August 04, 2019, 11:45:18 am »
I wouldn't consider the mini round for hay too slow to make , and poor for stacking and of course the density / weight ratio , ideal for haylage though.
As for self powered balers, there are many, even a standard super hayliner baler with engine on top , belt drive to flywheel, very popular with the Amish farmers, the alpine farmers have lots of self powered stuff too, but its all abroad .
I rang the dealer about the Abbriata* small baler as its by forfar , its 3yr old and he wants more than the new price €8750 inc tax it sells for in Italy !!! ( transport from Italy non urgent groupage as long as its delivered by 04/20 is €400 ).
I will no doubt call again if its still for sale out of season.

* very low power requirement 20hp

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1367 on: August 04, 2019, 12:41:04 pm »
I'd certainly prefer square for stacking and if the  :goat: :goat: :goat: get up on top there's no risk of them falling through the gaps - half killed me last time I had to try to lift the buck out from 3 bales down... not sure he was impressed by me trying to lift him by the horns either!  Unfortunately, it was the middle of the stack so there was no way I could kick bales down to let him get out.  I do my best to keep a "face" so they can't get up there but if I have the Christmas trees stacked on top and mistakenly leave a door open it doesn't take them long to work out a way of getting into mischief.

I love the Amish videos with their self powered machines being towed by mules!
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #1368 on: August 04, 2019, 04:34:22 pm »
Today i have been mainly looking after the 400 piglets born in the last two days. One lovely sow kindly gave us 21 of those. Suffice to say i am now sitting down and relaxing with a lovely coconut rum and coke. Just to help relax.... honest  :innocent:
21 ! thats good , enough milk or are some swapping round going on ?

We normally only leave a sow on max of 13. That is to reduce fighting over teats and to help stop crush deaths. So we removed 9 piglets from her and placed them on other sows who had less.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #1369 on: August 09, 2019, 09:06:21 am »
So I am now fighting the weather a bit but have finally started making progress on some land management. The hedges have had a cut back as it was getting to the point that I couldn't get the cars down the track. The old topper has now been replaced by something a bit more cooperative and the first field is looking good after a cut and water (courtesy of the rain storms). I've got a couple more fields to do and the over grown scrub land areas around the yard so here's hoping that the weather forecast is a bit kinder than expected in Swansea this weekend!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1370 on: August 09, 2019, 07:20:07 pm »
I've got a couple more fields to do and the over grown scrub land areas around the yard so here's hoping that the weather forecast is a bit kinder than expected in Swansea this weekend!
Hate to tell you, you can top in the rain  :gloomy:
sorry.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #1371 on: August 10, 2019, 11:42:16 am »
Yeah, sadly I know. I was being overly optimistic that the forecast was very wrong. Looking out the window this morning however I think the tractor will be staying in the barn this weekend.

I should have known really, it's like buying a new bbq if you want to guarantee the worst summer ever!

Oh well if it stops raining for long enough I might go and sort through the junk piles left by the previous owner.

Have a good weekend all

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1372 on: August 23, 2019, 08:30:15 am »
This morning I discovered that it's very difficult to get a quarter of a tonne of pig to go anywhere it's not interested in going.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1373 on: August 23, 2019, 10:17:26 am »
This morning I discovered that it's very difficult to get a quarter of a tonne of pig to go anywhere it's not interested in going.
Try pointing it in the opposite direction. I find this works,with "executives". Same thing in my experience  ;)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1374 on: August 23, 2019, 02:46:01 pm »
Collecting wasps in my kitchen.  I opened the windows to let a breeze through and am now working out how to evict a hundred or so of the bleeders.

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #1375 on: August 23, 2019, 04:15:53 pm »
Topped my wildflower meadow. Give it a few days to dry and drop seed, and I'll rake the cuttings off to the side.

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1376 on: August 28, 2019, 11:18:27 pm »
spent a lot of today in hospital with my OH who has just had a total knee replacement. He's in a lot of pain but says it will be worth it in the end.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1377 on: August 29, 2019, 06:59:53 am »
Friends who have had knee replacements all say the same thing.  Do the exercises and get as much work into it as you can.  The ones that did not now regret not doing so.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1378 on: September 01, 2019, 08:18:32 pm »
been up on the steading roofs clearing the gutters in readiness for the winter

spent a lot of today in hospital with my OH who has just had a total knee replacement. He's in a lot of pain but says it will be worth it in the end.
Lucky chap hope he heals well , just a little jealous I needed two but its not to be  :'( 

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #1379 on: September 08, 2019, 11:28:39 pm »
Friends who have had knee replacements all say the same thing.  Do the exercises and get as much work into it as you can.  The ones that did not now regret not doing so.

My aunt is one of those. She didn't do the exercises and now has a twisted knee. He's been in too much pain to do any since he came out but he has physio tomorrow so that should help.

Is there something about today?

Started by Lizmar

Replies: 7
Views: 2343
Last post August 12, 2009, 08:35:04 pm
by northfifeduckling
Who can top this today?

Started by cameldairy

Replies: 16
Views: 4857
Last post October 05, 2009, 03:24:18 pm
by sandy
What did you do today?

Started by valr

Replies: 37
Views: 8709
Last post July 18, 2010, 08:31:42 am
by Wizard
So what did you do today?

Started by bloomer

Replies: 24
Views: 6325
Last post September 05, 2010, 11:51:43 am
by ballingall
what did you do today?

Started by northfifeduckling

Replies: 52
Views: 13265
Last post October 24, 2010, 09:43:04 am
by ballingall

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS