Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild garlic  (Read 950 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
Wild garlic
« on: April 02, 2022, 06:27:29 pm »
Hey

I planted some wild garlic last year and itís all coming through now. I wondered if I should leave it alone for this year to get established before our king some leaves to make some lovely salads and wild garlic butter.

Thoughts?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Wild garlic
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 06:51:24 pm »
I left my plants for the first year. Now have loads. It does spread well.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 10:29:49 pm »
Is it worth all the fuss? Is wild garlic so different to cultivated?  I have never tasted it so this is a genuine question.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 06:34:22 am »
it's milder. The young leaves go in salads or make pesto of whatever. I've never tried the wild bulb but it's small.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: either over-crowded or villages left half-empty.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 08:09:14 pm »
Hey

I planted some wild garlic last year and itís all coming through now. I wondered if I should leave it alone for this year to get established before our king some leaves to make some lovely salads and wild garlic butter.

Thoughts?

Wild garlic or 3-cornered leeks ?  [Wild garlic has broad leaves (bit like the poisonous snowdrop and tulip) while 3-cornered leek has triangular stems and long narrow leaves (with leaves bit like the poisonous daffodil and wild lily).]
Both are very prolific, but the leek is the worst of the two and you might come to regret starting your own patch - of either - I'm sorry to say !  (I do a very very thorough clean of any tools I've used in gardens with either being present!)
All parts of these two are edible.  Never bothered much myself although I have sprinkled a few leek flowers through a few salads. Once had to politely try to make some way into a bowl of "chefy" wild garlic soup at a posh restaurant: ghastly, but it wasn't an occasion to make a fuss!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 10:15:53 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 01:11:54 pm »
We have 3 cornered leek growing in our strawb bed.  I want to move it to a distant hedgerow but Mr F wants to keep it where it is  ???   Oh the small compromises we have to make  :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 10:52:16 am »
Is it worth all the fuss? Is wild garlic so different to cultivated?  I have never tasted it so this is a genuine question.

Flavour similar, preparation and use quite different - it's leaves rather than the bulb.  Yummy :yum: free food, easy to harvest and use, fab in salads, sandwiches, quiches etc, makes fab pesto.... What's not to love? (Apart from remembering to pick from the middle of the patch to avoid dog wee...  :tired:)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 12:06:03 pm »
We once made clover wine.  We had sent our boys out to pick the flowers. The resultant wine tasted just like dog  :raining:   :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 01:13:14 pm »
We once made clover wine.  We had sent our boys out to pick the flowers. The resultant wine tasted just like dog  :raining:   :roflanim:

:tired:   :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

wild garlic

Started by sabrina (13.18)

Replies: 5
Views: 2226
Last post May 04, 2010, 01:50:07 pm
by dizzy1pig
Wild garlic

Started by happy larry (13.18)

Replies: 3
Views: 1691
Last post June 06, 2012, 07:49:54 am
by Sylvia
Wild garlic alert!

Started by Wellieboots (13.03)

Replies: 3
Views: 2750
Last post March 25, 2009, 09:12:37 am
by Wellieboots
Garlic

Started by CameronS (6.98)

Replies: 6
Views: 2934
Last post June 21, 2010, 06:46:33 am
by romeo
Garlic

Started by suziequeue (6.98)

Replies: 7
Views: 3059
Last post August 23, 2010, 08:53:59 pm
by smallholder in the city

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2022. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS