Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Herd dynamics : 2 mares and a tiny tup  (Read 12880 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Herd dynamics : 2 mares and a tiny tup
« on: November 04, 2023, 08:08:47 pm »
Flo is Boss Mare, Floss is a follower and always Bottom Pony (except when the herd was one gelding and several mares, when Floss was allowed to be Bottom Mare But Still Above The Gelding.  When it was just her and him, she was Bottom Pony to him - except if she was cycling of course.)

Anyhoo, I always put hay out in at least 3 piles, far apart, so that not-Floss can only realistically guard 2 piles and there's always a pile Floss can munch at. 

Except today, Floss turned away from the second heap I threw over and went back to the first.  Flo's ears went back at Floss, but Floss had spotted that our tiny polled Shetland tup Nigel was munching alongside Flo, and Flo was grudgingly letting him.  Floss just positioned herself with Nigel in the middle, and peaceful hay sharing ensued.

I've noticed before that Nigel's legendary work ethic seems to cross species... Notably when he took time out of his busy life to beat up the enormous uncastrated boars when we brought them through that field on their way to the abattoir.  Anyone else with testosterone not to be tolerated, clearly, whether they weigh 4 times what he does or not. 

Anyway, here's a pic of the Little Big Man with his harem of mares at feeding time

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Herd dynamics : 2 mares and a tiny tup
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 02:30:17 am »
Well of course, he's a wee Scots hard man  :hugsheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS