Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Allotments - your opinions please  (Read 1293 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Allotments - your opinions please
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 09:06:40 am »
All this waiting list stuff is interesting..

I was on a waiting list for 6 years for my first plot and ended up getting another plot in the next village quite quickly.
I left my name on the list to get a closer to home plot.    Anyway I was a bit suspicious of a few new plot holders but just assumed there was a long list.
I decided to kick up a bit saying that i had been on the list a long time and where was i on the list and miraculously I was the VERY next one.  I got a plot within a few weeks.

Having seen the way plots are let at my current site it is not straight ( forward ) at all..

You cant have a plot if you are not on the list unless you can.
You cant jump up the list unless you can. 
You cant be shown a vacant plot if its untidy unless you can.
You cant leave an oversized shed on your new plot unless you can.
Current policy states you can only have a 5 pole plot unless it doesnt

It goes on..

Anyone remember Mrs 40 metres from my other thread?

If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 12:40:30 pm »
In a thread in 'Crafts' we have been discussing growing flax and today there is a report on the News of a small group of people in Blackburn who are growing flax on waste ground to make local linen, as an alternative to importing cheap, oil-based fabrics and cotton (very unsustainable) clothing from overseas, with large carbon footprints.
I'm wondering how the allotment committees would look upon flax being grown on plots - it looks really scruffy when it's growing, especially so when it's developing its seeds.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 09:20:05 am »
Had family take on a friend to help out with their plot, when they decided to pack it in and move they requested the plot went to the guy whod been sharing with them as otherwise hed have gone back to the bottom of the waiting list. Heard of this sort of thing happening several times, doesnt help the people patiently waiting on the list. Its a shame there cant be an extra couple of plots subdivided so that new entrants could at least start with something, a few beds, maybe help out others with unruly plots while waiting to get theirs properly. Then theyd get a better idea of what was expected and the community of it.

Im in a group trying to establish a Community Supported Agriculture group in Brechin. Itll hopefully allow everyone whos interested an opportunity to come and grow some food. Ill report back once its up and running!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 12:21:29 am »
I'll look forward to hearing how that goes Steph  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 11:02:59 am »
Its a shame there cant be an extra couple of plots subdivided so that new entrants could at least start with something, a few beds, maybe help out others with unruly plots while waiting to get theirs properly. Then theyd get a better idea of what was expected and the community of it.
Exactly! I spoke to some neighbours who were discouraged as they only wanted a tiny plot to grow some veg and flower with the kids - the whole plot was way to large for them to manage - they could have divided it into 2 or 3 smaller plots for people who prefer that
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Allotments

Started by DenisCooper (9.08)

Replies: 3
Views: 1663
Last post May 26, 2017, 12:41:17 pm
by doganjo

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS