Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deer fencing for an idiot  (Read 4644 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Deer fencing for an idiot
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 07:56:22 am »
Thank you

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 09:02:12 pm »
A number of years ago I had the task of culling the deer in a fenced woodland that was approx 100 acres.

I was putting the hours in and after several months it appeared that even when everything appeared to be going as planned, there were still deer appearing.

The noteworthy point was a lot of them had healed leg injuries.

What was happening, and this was a 2 metre high fence, was the roe deer were running around the outside, finding a high spot and using it as a point to jump from.

I saw roe jump the fence twice and was almost as surprised the second time as I was certain it would have been a one of the first time.

I suppose the point I'm making is we build fences, but nature always finds a way.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2021, 12:26:20 am »
I have goats not deer but I put in otter net fencing 6' high with buried panel. I also use stand off electric to stop them climbing it.  Works well to keep the goats in and the deer out.

If you're looking for recommendations and honest advice on what you need contact Alistair Smart at GP Smart for the fencing materials and Shane at SR Agri for the actual fencing work.  You'll find them on Facebook and I would recommend both highly.

In terms of prices for fencing... is it temporary or permanent?  If permanent, spend the extra to put in quality posts that will last 30 years rather than having to re-fence again in 5 when the posts rot!

Good luck!
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS