Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finally  (Read 4287 times)

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Finally
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 11:24:19 pm »
You'd not go far wrong with a Hampshire Down tup.
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 11:29:08 pm »
Would it be an idea to buy some ewes in lamb with singles at a later date for fostering purposes?. Hoping I don't end up with too many multiples :innocent:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 07:47:36 am »
Charmoise would be ideal for ewe lambs or a charollais if you cant get hold of a charmoise

Most (well nearly every farmer I know of) who run suffolk mule ewes put a charollais tup onto them, this complements the ewe very nicely, as she has loads of milk and she is growthy and with good length and shape, also the charollais then gets rid of the black face and produces either a nice store lamb or fat lamb, very versatile!

Zwartbles would not be a good idea if you want to start a good commercial flock, they DO eat loads and loads and the people who say they dont have loads of grass/time/feed for them anyway...

Also I found when crossing them they seem to concentrate of growing legs legs and more legs, and we all know that those are chopped off and not paid for at the end of the day.

Use something that will complement your sheep! suffolk mules have loads of milk, so put something on that will grow on and flesh out on loads of milk!! :) :)

Goodluck!!

I am putting a charmoise tup to a load of welsh mule ewe lambs and crossbred ewe lambs this year and also some welsh mules shearlings, I think its 58 to the tup in total this year  :thinking:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 08:21:36 am »
Any of the Down breeds would do a good job and not produce lots of leg in preference to carcase.  Better fleece on the lambs than the Charollais, less lambing assistance than the Texel or Beltex.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 08:31:37 am »
I have a charollais ram that was born in January this year and put outside at 24hrs old,
never been indoors since and never creep fed, tough as nails, so I think lack of fleece may not be a problem anyway

Down breeds do tend to have a heavy amount of bone and wide heads, so I would not put a down breed onto ewe lambs especially ewe lambs that are half down breed themselves, shearlings are different,
but basically the aim of farmers who put a tup to ewe lambs is just to produce a lamb that slips out un aided and gets up and sucks, and gives the ewe lambs a good first experience, if the lamb has a good shape and meat then thats a bonus!

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 09:00:59 am »
And down x lambs sell badly live weight.

finally!

Started by Elissian (6.28)

Replies: 16
Views: 5575
Last post April 04, 2011, 10:35:53 pm
by Elissian
And Finally...

Started by Pedwardine (6.28)

Replies: 12
Views: 3663
Last post April 28, 2012, 09:43:50 am
by Emmam
And finally

Started by Bionic (6.28)

Replies: 3
Views: 1729
Last post April 16, 2013, 10:01:25 pm
by Brucklay
Finally!

Started by Greenmoor (6.28)

Replies: 4
Views: 1824
Last post April 30, 2013, 06:08:58 pm
by Greenmoor
Finally....

Started by SallyintNorth (6.28)

Replies: 15
Views: 6711
Last post September 14, 2013, 08:35:14 am
by SallyintNorth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2022. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS