Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bottle Jaw - swelling under jaw  (Read 5771 times)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Bottle Jaw - swelling under jaw
« on: October 26, 2017, 08:40:42 am »
One of my lanbs has a swelling under his jaw, running all the way pretty much from ear to ear. I've had him and a couple of others by the house as they were looking a bit rough/poor. They were wormed/fluked 2 weeks ago, they get some nuts a couple of times a day, ad lib hay and there's enough grass for them too. Only thing thats changed is they had a mineral bucket on monday. He's eating and drinking fine, I gave him a shot of anti-biotic this morning.

I'm reading that bottle jaw can be caused by a mineral imbalance - could it be that he's pigged out on the bucket? I'm not convinced its fluke,TBH I've never had a problem with fluke before although I do treat them once or so a year for it - just in case..

Opinions pls

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Bottle Jaw - swelling under jaw
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:50:39 am »
It could be fluke, it could be several things, tbh no one is going to be able to reliably diagnose over the internet. If he is worth it/you can afford it involve your vet who may be able to rule things in/out with an exam and tests etc

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:33:24 am »
I agree with Me.

I wouldn't rule out fluke. They were looking poor, you fluke them then get the bottle jaw. We didn't have a fluke issue until last year. Have you had a look at NADIS for the latest update on fluke?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:45:51 am »
Thanks, I'm not really looking for an absolute diagnosis, just ideas about what it could be. I am in a high risk area for fluke but as I say, its never been a problem before and they've just been treated for fluke 2 weeks ago. If it doesn't go down or show signs of improvement I'll fluke again with a different product.

All ewes are healthy as are 47 lambs, this lamb was poor and a bit dirty but has picked up since fluking

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 11:26:18 am »
You did say several were poor making fluke more likely than if it is just the one. If they have picked up it is likely that the flukicide has worked. Flukicide resistance is serious and if you suspect it now or in the future you should investigate with your vet as it can have big implications for your flock in the future. It makes no sense to re-treat one animal for an assumed flukicide resistance problem, the treatment would likely have failed on all of them. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 11:27:12 am »
Remember different flukicides work on different ages of fluke so the effectiveness will depend on the chemical used.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 11:36:40 am »
Most vets are happy to give advice to their customers over the phone and would have made sure you bought the appropriate product. Give them a call, you are more likely to get timely accurate advice that way

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 12:09:35 pm »
Just to throw another idea in the pot. I have had a swelling on one sheeps jaw that turned out to be a wasp sting. It may be a little late for that but  my first thoughts would be to assess the lump is it hard soft  doughy etc. and then consider sticking a needle in but some might not like that idea....
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 12:31:54 pm »
I had similar last year .... fluked with Facinex .... no improvement .... then used different flukicide and swelling vanished in 2 days ............. I'm in Carmarthenshire too   lots of triclabendazole  resistance in this area.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 01:49:34 pm »
I'm pretty sure that its an allergic reaction. I've brought the lamb indoors to have a look at it and it looks like its not only the jaw, but his ears are also puffy. He's lively, eating well and apart from the jaw and ears seems happy enough.

I've had a good look in the field and they spend a lot of time under the oak tree, which has a lot of the acorn caps, but no suprisingly no acorns. With the 2 recent storms I think it must of blown a load down and the lamb has eaten to many. He shows no signs of poisoning.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 03:52:53 pm »
It may be a combination of fluke and acorn poisoning.  Both will place great strain on the liver and could cause bottle jaw.  The toxins in acorns might possibly cause a photosensitivity-type reaction leading to the swollen ears.  If fluke is a problem in your area it may be worth consulting your vet about the best product to use and when.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 04:25:52 pm »
I thought acorns could cause kidney failure in sheep and cattle. If fluke is a problem in your area I would investigate that because it can cause quick and severe losses in a large flock which will be more sharply felt in a small one.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 05:07:18 pm »
I've heard also that too many acorns, being roundish, tend not to move on through the digestive system, so block it up and no other food gets through.  Just to be aware.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 05:18:30 pm »
I had similar last year .... fluked with Facinex .... no improvement .... then used different flukicide and swelling vanished in 2 days ............. I'm in Carmarthenshire too   lots of triclabendazole  resistance in this area.

given that there is already resistance to some flukicides  and that the swelling disappeared over a period of several days ? of its own accord was the use of two flukicides warranted? Not saying one way or the other just asking :-)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 07:02:56 pm »
 As I understand it  because of the way it works Fasinex  does not always work successfully if the liver is badly damaged but Flukiver does  and is said to be gentler

under jaw swelling

Started by Did (8.9)

Replies: 8
Views: 5746
Last post May 05, 2015, 11:53:30 pm
by Fleecewife
swelling on a ram's neck

Started by Judbury Cal (8.8)

Replies: 6
Views: 1034
Last post January 31, 2022, 04:59:36 am
by Judbury Cal
in lamb ewe with a swelling face

Started by Hillview Farm (8.7)

Replies: 8
Views: 2986
Last post March 10, 2016, 09:46:35 pm
by SallyintNorth
Swelling under eyes and staggering in 3 month lambs

Started by Notasausage (8.51)

Replies: 12
Views: 3269
Last post June 13, 2017, 07:45:59 am
by twizzel
Bottle jaw again

Started by JMB (6.27)

Replies: 4
Views: 1749
Last post April 07, 2013, 08:32:59 am
by crofter 65

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2022. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS