Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of eggs  (Read 546 times)

Mikethegoat

• Joined Sep 2021
Price of eggs
« on: September 11, 2021, 03:40:46 pm »
I'm wondering if it is worth selling eggs through 3rd parties. I understand the extra legislation required, I think.
However, I've no re all idea what the mark up is.
How much would you expect to sell your eggs (organic and free range) to a shop for, per half dozen?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Price of eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 07:49:08 am »
Never done it - selling direct, 1.70 / 1/2 dozen. On a croft last week selling them for 2/ 1/2 dozen (2.20 delivered)

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 09:20:05 am »
I've never done it either, always sell direct. I guess you would have to approach your intended purchasers and see what they are willing to pay.

Prices round here are 1.20 per 6.  2 per 6 sounds quite expensive to me. They must be very special eggs!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 07:11:14 pm »
We sell  ours for 1.50 at the gate.  Sounds like prices vary around the country and your exact location. If you're on a distant island and no-one else keeps hens then you're on a winner and they cost whatever folk will pay.
How about going into an independent greengrocer and asking what they would offer for the numbers you can supply.  Our local chap actually came to me to see if I could supply him, but we have a fluctuating number of hens between 5 and 12, so sadly I couldn't.  Our eggs are so bright and tasty from totally free range hens, with access to vegetation and insects all day long. Those conditions don't go with larger scale production.
Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 09:00:33 pm »
As we are near a rural village, lots of poultry keepers, I was told 1 per half doz was the going rate, not as much as i would like, considering how much it cost to get them to POL but better than them stacking up and getting thrown away, pays for the feed and a bit more, and neighbour just picks them up when I leave them out.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 01:38:35 am »
We sell for 1.50/ half dozen on chicken eggs and 2/half dozen on duck eggs. I think we may be under selling ourselves on the ducks, but we tried them at 2.50 and didnt get much uptake. We dropped them down and we sell out almost all the time so not sure it's worth trying at the higher price again

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 08:59:00 am »
Yes it's the same here. I was selling duck and turkey eggs at 1.50 per 6 but not many people wanted them. Dropped the price of the duck to 1.20 same as the chicken and they have mysteriously become more popular. People just want cheap eggs. I could rant and rave and say well s*d ff to the supermarket then but would rather sell at a lower price than not at all.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 09:11:31 am »
People just want cheap eggs.

That's interesting, because round here people don't buy our eggs because they want them cheap but because they love the freshness and good quality of ours specifically. There are other folk who sell eggs at the door, but people come here first. They prefer ours to supermarket eggs and to other free range eggs.  So that must depend totally on where you live.  I think it helps that people can see our hens foraging as they drive past.  Nobody wants goose eggs, or our duck eggs when we had them - very conservative  ::)
We didn't get many eggs this summer I think because of the high temps and drought, or perhaps because our hens objected to our new puppy while he learnt to behave.
Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 01:33:36 pm »
I used to have a lot of quail eggs - only got one hen and one cockerel now.  Couldn't get rid of the quail eggs. People tried them once then not again - said they were too fiddly to shell.  Time is a factor as well as money I think
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 02:00:31 pm »
People just want cheap eggs.

That's interesting, because round here people don't buy our eggs because they want them cheap but because they love the freshness and good quality of ours specifically. There are other folk who sell eggs at the door, but people come here first. They prefer ours to supermarket eggs and to other free range eggs.  So that must depend totally on where you live.  I think it helps that people can see our hens foraging as they drive past.  Nobody wants goose eggs, or our duck eggs when we had them - very conservative  ::)
We didn't get many eggs this summer I think because of the high temps and drought, or perhaps because our hens objected to our new puppy while he learnt to behave.

I do get told that my eggs are superb, the best they've ever had etc etc  .... but at the same time the very people who say that don't seem to buy them that often! It's frustrating! We are a little off the beaten track for people to see the hens roaming about, although there is a footpath that borders our land. I think it is largely to do with where we live. Norfolk is a poultry heavy county and most people round here seem to have a few hens/ducks/geese. Where we live there are 3 or 4 "farm gate" egg stands along the same stretch of road - about a mile or so. We don't actually have one as we live too far from the road to be able to keep an eye on the stand. Customers come through word of mouth, a tiny bit of advertising in the church mag, and the rest are friends or work colleagues of my husband. But they mainly want chicken eggs. I cannot sell goose eggs at all and even tiny bantam eggs are passed over in favour of the more "normal" eggs.  Fortunately I load the car about once a month and drive 100 miles to see my parents who love the eggs and share them out with their friends and neighbours. So they are not wasted.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 09:18:51 pm »
I find that my eastern european customers value the quality and freshness of the eggs most.

When they give me egg boxes back from the supermarket they always seem to be the overpriced organic eggs that they buy if I don't get to them first.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 06:24:41 pm »
Selling eggs in a rural setting (with others doing the same) has always been difficult for us - when my OH worked in his office in Edinburgh (pre-Covid) we could have sold our eggs three times over for 1.80 per half dozen - the urban customers were very keen on them. Only one of our neighbours is buying from us (and insists on paying the same as the city folk!), but others seem to prefer to buy them in the supermarket or go down the road where they sell them for 1.20...

Price of duck eggs?

Started by Hillview Farm (9.81)

Replies: 17
Views: 12293
Last post May 03, 2013, 09:50:25 am
by Daisys Mum
smallholding/farm gate price for eggs

Started by bloomer (9.59)

Replies: 54
Views: 19215
Last post February 23, 2011, 05:10:45 pm
by andy harris
selling organic pasture raised eggs - price point? & other info

Started by farmers wife (9.29)

Replies: 31
Views: 9859
Last post March 27, 2015, 08:34:56 am
by Thyme
Jelly eggs / Soft shelled eggs

Started by The Woodsiders (5.94)

Replies: 3
Views: 2006
Last post September 20, 2011, 05:11:02 pm
by Miss Piggy
Price of POLs - got some!

Started by ellied (5.7)

Replies: 81
Views: 19998
Last post August 04, 2011, 04:17:23 pm
by doganjo

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS