Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lockdown is here  (Read 648 times)

Forestlens

• Joined Jul 2020
  • North Devon
Re: Lockdown is here
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 10:01:37 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe ducks and geese can be outside, just not with access to water that wild birds use. Unless I hear otherwise that's what I'm doing with mine anyway. I currently have surplus ganders in my flock and if confined they will fight big time. The youngsters need to go in the freezer but currently there's no room due to having recently filled them up with our lamb and pork!

I think they still have to be in a netted enclosure. Extract below:

Biosecurity and preventing welfare impacts in poultry and captive birds
Advice for all captive bird and poultry keepers (including game birds, waterfowl, and pet birds)
03 November 2021

Domestic ducks and geese
If housing is a government requirement and you keep small numbers of ducks and geese, it may be possible to house them. If this measure is not possible, ducks and geese should be kept in fully netted areas or temporary netted structures, where practical. All feeding and watering should take place under cover. You should consider using wild bird deterrents to prevent contact with wild birds. Where possible, avoid keeping ducks and geese with other poultry species as they often donít show any signs of disease but can still pass it on to chickens, turkeys or other poultry species. End.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 10:51:05 am »
Mmm yes it's the "where practical" bit I'm thinking about.  I don't trust my geese with netting - they will chew it. To provide large rigid structures of wood and weldmesh will cost a fortune.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2021, 11:55:06 am »
I really can't imagine trying to keep my geese confined, their overnight pen is far too small, OK  just for overnight, fed in there at nights, I have a very small field below their hut, they will go in there, with a bucket of water. The frog pond will be covered over somehow.
We don't get migrating birds, apart from occasional flight of geese way up high.
Hens will be in. One trio lives in polytunnel since last year anyway, other trio plenty of space in their 4x6 shed with extra raised platform.
In some ways, it's good that it's over the worst part of the year weather wise. Not fit for them to be out anyway normally (Up here in the Pennines anyway)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 01:03:45 pm »
Nice that theyíve given plenty of notice. A week would have been enough. Iíll not get my hens covered by Monday especially with the forecast storm coming at the weekend.
I had got mine in and under over but teh gales last night have devastated my orchard and the tarpaulin is hanging by a thread, literally.  No one to help me put it back on for a few days so I'm glad I've only 4 hens.  They are inside a weldmesh run so nothing except teeny birds can get in anyway, but I hope one of my kids comes over tomorrow
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2021, 05:01:30 pm »
Nice that theyíve given plenty of notice. A week would have been enough. Iíll not get my hens covered by Monday especially with the forecast storm coming at the weekend.
I had got mine in and under over but teh gales last night have devastated my orchard and the tarpaulin is hanging by a thread, literally.  No one to help me put it back on for a few days so I'm glad I've only 4 hens.  They are inside a weldmesh run so nothing except teeny birds can get in anyway, but I hope one of my kids comes over tomorrow

Oh no, that's a bummer. What happened to your fruit trees?  Our windbreak fence which is one side of the goose enclosure snapped off all the deer posts in the wind - they had been there for 25 years so it was perhaps inevitable.  One tree down, and a roundy tin ex-pig now sheep shelter (big and very heavy) was flipped right over a fence, mashing it as it did so. Not much compared to others, but a nuisance just before lockdown.  I think there will be a few folk in your situation doganjo.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:28:06 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2021, 07:31:17 am »
I am glad that I have cut back on ducks but itís still a pain. The Muscovy are pretty laid back and donít seem to mind much, the crested will hate it though. the hens I keep in during the winter under lights anyway, they do much better like that.

I work a lot with commercial egg units, some of the largest and the smaller free range organic ones-their biosecurity is very good actually, as with all these things it gets harder at scale and free range units are the hardest. This is the third avian lockdown in what, 5 years? Seems likely that it will become an annual event and people should be prepared for it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2021, 10:28:40 am »
What happened to your fruit trees? 
  They're fine, Juliet - they are still only a couple of years old and most are dwarf variety - my kids and my cousin thought ahead of time that as I get older and shorter I wouldn't be able to reach the fruit on the upper branches. :roflanim:  The stakes they put in are well planted a couple of feet in.
The grass was totally flattened though.(maybe a good thing  :innocent:); and the  rhododendron and elder trees had a good pounding

The orchard is on the side of the house so was protected to an extent, the back garden is at the top of the property so took all the force of the wind.  My back fence, which was already about 20 years old, took a hit and is wobbly, but my friend Roy who did my renovations came up yesterday and propped it up.  He'll replace the rotten posts in the summer.  My neighbour behind me returned from London yesterday afternoon to find they had no fence left at all.  So I've been lucky.  Just need to replace my very useful little plastic greenhouse and my pond plants
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Humidity at lockdown

Started by lindaball1961@gmail.com (8.22)

Replies: 14
Views: 6282
Last post May 14, 2015, 10:10:51 pm
by Kimbo
Update on power cut during lockdown

Started by twizzel (8.13)

Replies: 5
Views: 1622
Last post March 26, 2014, 12:58:01 pm
by chrismahon
Hatching Eggs during lockdown

Started by Baggins11 (8.13)

Replies: 13
Views: 1434
Last post April 19, 2020, 02:29:40 pm
by Possum
Humidity in Brinsea Eco Mini after lockdown

Started by KahlanA (8.04)

Replies: 13
Views: 5714
Last post April 07, 2015, 02:32:28 pm
by Clansman

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS