Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerels for re-homing (Central Aberdeenshire). Nice boys  (Read 344 times)

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
On behalf of a neighbour who has too many cockerels for the number of hens she keeps.  They're all nice boys looking for a new postcode.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Cockerels for re-homing (Central Aberdeenshire). Nice boys
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 08:21:30 am »
Do you know what breeds? My neighbour is after a light Sussex for his flock of about thirty hens.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 10:01:14 am »
I know she started with ex-commercials but also bought in from rare breed sales.  There are some fluffy white ones, some not so fluffy white ones, some colourful brown ones and some 'normal looking' ones.  I would sincerely doubt any of them are 'pure' as it's unlikely she knows which hens laid which eggs by which cockerels. 

However in response to my question of "which breeds", she's responded "they are a mix of bantam and Rhode Island reds."

They're aged from 7 months to 4 years.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 07:20:22 am »
unlikely to be anyone wanting to home cockerals of mixed background.   The freezer is going to be their next postcode ....   (practical comment not meant to offend)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 11:16:30 am »
unlikely to be anyone wanting to home cockerals of mixed background.   The freezer is going to be their next postcode ....   (practical comment not meant to offend)

Yup, recognise that and I have someone on hand to deal with the issue if they can't be re-homed (I thought she may want them for her ferrets and dogs but apparently she only feeds kibble). 

I advertised them here on the off chance someone may want them to raise for the table and/or just wanted a cockerel to keep their hens in order rather than for breeding. 

They're nice lads, none of them got feisty with me when I was taking care of them recently, even though they didn't know me and I was interfering in their business.  Given how many boys were in a relatively small space with relatively few females I thought that was impressive.

As an aside, I've persuaded her to part with 5 hens and a cockerel as a group if anyone is looking for a "starter".  The hens are a year old and the cockerel 2yo.  Cost would be £30 for the group.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:18:04 am by Scarlet.Dragon »

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 07:00:58 am »
Thatís very cheap! Not for me but if you put it on Facebook Aberdeenshire and Angus poultry sites Iím sure theyíll be snapped up.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 02:50:30 pm »
She's never sold any and isn't keen on parting with the hens; this was meant to be a 'last ditch' effort to save one of the boys hence the price which we've set equivalent to the 'charity rehoming' prices on the website.

Must go - Barnevelder cockerels Central Scotland

Started by HallePalomino (11.87)

Replies: 3
Views: 1024
Last post February 15, 2014, 09:24:01 pm
by HallePalomino
18 month Golden lab re-homing

Started by yorkiepud (8.77)

Replies: 7
Views: 2448
Last post September 28, 2011, 02:52:14 pm
by The Chicken Lady
Lovely Kune boar needs re-homing

Started by ChaseView (8.67)

Replies: 1
Views: 1009
Last post September 15, 2013, 08:02:25 am
by ChaseView
Lomond Brown Chickens that need re-homing; near Duns, Scottish Borders

Started by Langbank (8.39)

Replies: 2
Views: 1668
Last post February 18, 2013, 11:33:20 am
by Langbank
cream legbar chicks (boys)

Started by sam.t (6.8)

Replies: 0
Views: 1160
Last post July 10, 2011, 04:50:35 pm
by sam.t

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS