Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ash Dieback  (Read 721 times)

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
Ash Dieback
« on: October 09, 2021, 07:25:16 pm »
I any fellow woodland owners have found themselves with gaps in their woodland due to ash dieback there are subsidised trees available from the woodland trust available:

https://shop.woodlandtrust.org.uk/targeting-tree-disease-pack

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Ash Dieback
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 12:13:01 am »
This winter we intend to try coppicing or pollarding any diseased ash in the hedges.  At the moment they are just in the fairly early stages of dieback with not all affected but some quite bad but not dead.  I am hoping that the coppiced ash will grow back enough to be hedge plants although I doubt they will ever grow back into tall trees.  I haven't been able to find any information to see if anyone else has tried it.  It will be my experiment to see if it could be an alternative to felling or just leaving the dead tree standing for wildlife.
When we planted our hedges we made sure there were alternative potential tall trees at intervals so if all the ash die back then there will be something else such as an oak, beech or pine be allowed to grow to fill the gap.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 03:11:54 pm »
We had an area of woodland planted in 2010, I think all the ash has now died. Ive been going to ask if there is any help with replanting, but just has a grant allowed for a lot if hedging, so no time for Ash for a couple of years.
I have a larger tree near the sheds, in 2020 it was looking miserable, we cut it back into healthy wood, so far this year it's looking good, but long term, considering how many have died round here, I'm not hopeful  :( .
I can't help wondering if the bought in trees brought it to the area, by a local planting group who had lots of land offered for planting up, as well as ours.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 03:47:46 pm »
Ash dieback came into Britain on imported trees.  I was on the receiving end of a nasty attack from them when I mentioned the name of one of the companies involved on these pages, which is why I never buy trees from them and don't recommend their services (they must have searched social media to find anyone telling their story, then pursued me).

When I bought trees for a new area we were planting up last autumn and enquired about ash, I was told there was none available anywhere and wouldn't be for a long time to come.  There is research being done on resistant varieties; I thought some of ours might be resistant, but I think they are just slower to succumb - of course that could be a sign of resistance.  But the lack of new or resistant stock is why I'm trying the coppicing idea to see if that will keep the trees going. With coppicing, except for the stool, there will always be young wood and no old to harbour disease.  We'll see  :tree: :tree: :tree:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS