Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More crap news  (Read 34319 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: More crap news
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2010, 11:32:50 am »
By lastnight all bar 3 of them were being sick and 2 of the Pygmy's I was very worried about. This morning all but 3 of them ate breakfast and I am now only still worried with Harry, 1 of the Pygmy's. I am hoping that after a further 24 hours they will all be well again, we have secured the fence to stop them escaping but you know what goats can be like.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2010, 12:58:26 pm »
hope they go on ok James
our Sanaan is still a worry...
Little Blue

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2010, 07:57:58 am »
This morning or the first time in 3 days every one of them ate their breakfast so I am hoping that the worst of this is over. The ones that were most affected ate very slow which is unusual for them but at least they ate. Another great day here today which will hopefully help their spirits too.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2010, 08:12:19 am »
Sounds better James I also think better the weather the better I feel.So lets hope they are the same :D
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2010, 08:17:27 am »
Long may this nice spell continue - it makes people happier and they even smile. :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2010, 01:20:59 pm »
Keep that fine weather for Monday, James!  We will be leavng here about 11 so should be with you around 12.15.  Hope the kids can get a chance to see your animals?
Just had a thought about these damned escaping goats of yours - have you tried an electric fence?  I know they might try to jump it but if they were enticed near it so they tried it out and got a shock they might stay away from it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2010, 01:47:00 pm »
That's fine Annie, see you all then. The good weather is meant to be here for a wee while, or so they say, but who knows. It is only the smallest bit of fence they have got through so hoprfully we have that reinforced now.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2010, 06:51:15 pm »
glad to hear they've started eating James, you're right about the nicer weather...
Little Blue

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2010, 08:08:03 pm »
Its been 20c most of this afternoon in Gy
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2010, 11:22:09 pm »
Just catching up with posts.  Love your new dog - gorgeous!!

Sorry about your goats - but good to know they are getting better.  Its a worry when they get out and you do not know what they have eaten.  I was beside myself when 7 of mine got in a neighbours garden the other week.  As far as we know, just a few pansy heads were eaten, which was a relief to me!!

I am finding that all my animals are really hungry just now.  There is still no grass through, well, not here at least.  Although its been a better day today.  I think your goats are just going AWOL to find something tasty to eat.  Just an idea, but could you leave them some extra hay or something,  maybe fill them up and take their mind off escaping?  I have been managing to collect a few willow branches at lunchtime, which the goats are devouring, and hopefully keeping their mind off getting out again.

I know its easier said than done, to keep goats in once they find a way out of where they should be.  But it does sound as if yours are finding something that is not good for them to eat.  If they do it again, they may not be so lucky next time, and we don't want that!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2010, 07:08:09 am »
Thanks Roxy. You know it is very strange, and may be down to such severe weather, but we have been here 3 years and they have never eaten any of the bad stuff before. You may also be right that they finish the hay and so therefore take off hunting for more food. I thought they had access to as much hay as they wanted but you have got me thinking now.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2010, 07:38:21 am »
All goats are now back to how they should be. I have ensured that they have more than enough hay than they need and they have actually stopped straying as far on the land and are quite content to stay put. Thanks for the invaluable advice Roxy. :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2010, 11:48:42 pm »
Pleased to hear the goats are all in good health again, James!!  If they have full bellies, they tend to chew the cud and keep out of mischief.  We have no grass through yet, so I too am feeding extra hay to keep my herd happy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS