Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog injuries  (Read 5509 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Dog injuries
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 07:38:02 pm »

the above link should take you to a video of Millie my Weimaraner.
 She hasn't had an injury , but has been very ,very ill over the last 2 weeks . She had sickness and an upset tum , which can happen to any dog now and then . One or other of my pack gets it every now and then , and I thought Millie just had that , a slight bug !! Well it went on for a few days and then got much worse very fast . The weight just fell off her , she had stopped eating completely , but was still drinking .
 Anyway it was now the weekend and I couldn't get a vet anywhere . Still trying for a vet it was now sunday , and Millie started to eat a bit .. a sausage roll at first !! anything as long as it stays down !! I was rubbing honey on her gums and teeth every hour or so all through this, so she was getting some energy, although not enough .  The roll stayed down , so after a few hours I tried another ...nearly took my hand off for it ...lol.  I tried other foods ..nothing she just turned her head away . So I bought more sausage rolls , every 3-4 hours I would give her another . I wanted each one to go through her system before the next one as she was so bad with being sick so much . Well it did the trick . The sickness eased and she started to eat some tinned food as well as the rolls.
 Wednesday now and she starts to eat well . No sickness or bad tum. Thursday she is eating a tin of dog food plus a tin of dry food plus her treats , bonio bones, marrowbone rolls, chewy sticks and digestive biscuits ...and looking for more . So she is eating twice her normal feed now , still looking for more and thank God or whoever ... putting weight back on . She has put on much more since the video, which was 3 days ago.
 She is now like a coiled spring ... going mental when she is out in the yard . She is still on stay at home duty at the moment , and I fight to get out of the door everyday when I go to the land to feed the horses. Steve , the Spaniel , is her mate and stays with her , they both normally come to the land with me . He is now on a diet as he went as fat as a pig as soon as he wasn't doing the walk every day.
 I still have no idea what it was ? none of the other dogs got a touch of it !! I just hope it isn't a sign of things to come for ole Millie , she is 10 now , and that it was just a horrible bug or something she ate while out . We will just take things as they come .
For now she continues to improve , her appetite is great , no sickness at all now and her tum is much better although a bit loose at times , but that may be the tinned food , she normally only gets dried complete food, soaked in water .
 Fingers crossed anyway ...Oh and all the time she had sickness and a very bad tum , not one accident indoors , she flew to the door everytime and waited till she was in the yard ...lovely ole girl she is ...

cheers

Russ

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Dog injuries
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 08:17:08 pm »
Hope all settles down for her Russ. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS