Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this a mad idea?  (Read 21153 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Is this a mad idea?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 08:06:11 am »
Coming to this a bit late but it looks like a hacker posing as small time on previous threads. Note - guest status and no previous posts
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2012, 08:18:41 am »
One thing that may surface in the future for cheap invisable stock containment are the directed ultra sound / micro waves that make things hot currently being used/ tested for crowd control rather than possibly leathal stun grenades & rubber bullets  etc.
 I saw a guy on a sky discovery weapons prog have to leg it away from a test dummy to a determined direction when exposed to a sound beam from over 200 mtrs away . Apparently they have been used in Iraq and Afghanistan to break up violent crowds & keep them apart .
This new battle field weapon may well be a fence for the future

That sound interesting - we had new stock fencing (at large cost) as animal safety was and is my top concern but after the damage the Jacob ram did to one section I would like to know of a sensible way to now protect the fencing - saying that the ram has moved to a new flock but the billy goat can give a post a good bash so I don't see sections of our fencing lasting more than a couple of years!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2012, 08:34:16 am »
Coming to this a bit late but it looks like a hacker posing as small time on previous threads. Note - guest status and no previous posts

sq, he changed to guest after i told him to sod off.

robert waddell

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 08:37:42 am »
suziequeue   possible Dan removed him  this happened before when i was banned and the other party down to guest status and his history wiped
bruckly you need longer stobs driven into the ground  another alternative is high tensile fencing that will catapult your ram back into the field    maybe just maybe you were fleeced by the fencer :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2012, 08:42:44 am »
I reported him to Dan immediately I saw that insulting post.  I suspect he may have sent him a message to behave.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 09:25:23 am »
Oh right.......sorry

I like the mental cartoon I have of naughty butty ram being catapulted from trampoline fence.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 09:57:30 am »
ECT (in people) can sometimes work, as a last ditch effort and for reasons/causes as yet unknown. I believe it may still be available very occasional as almost a "kill or cure" treatment  :-\

What if the sheep with the e-collar went for a swim....?  :o

I do see a use for standard electric fencing for temporary, supervised use e.g. strip grazing in an otherwise enclosed paddock, but I wouldn't rely on it as a lone/permanent boundary.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2012, 12:46:43 pm »
Sticking my head above the parapet now.......

I have worked in an inpatient psychiatric facility and delivered ECT. Like Yorkshire Lass said - we used it for severe cases of intractable depression where other treatments had failed or life was at stake. It was not a decision that was undertaken at all lightly even then (early 90s) and the patient was required to sign a consent form if deemed mentally capable of doing so or a legal guardian/opinion was sought (I forget the exact machinations if the patient was deemed mentally incapable).

It was delivered under a short, light general anaesthetic in an operating theatre with full resuscitation facilities and most patients made a very rapid improvement - far quicker than conventional antidepressant therapies available at the time.

These days I think these sort of cases are becoming rarer due to improved detection and treatment (both drug and talking treatments) but we certainly had some patients who would insist on ECT as it was the only thing that worked for them.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was and remains an important landmark film in illustrating the power struggles that go on in inpatient psychiatric facilities both then and now - but its depiction of ECT does not concord with the way the treatment was delivered in my experience in UK at that time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:56:12 pm by suziequeue »

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2012, 01:35:57 pm »
Try doing an dressage test on a horse that is used to the white electric tape. As the arena is marked out with white riding into corners gets marked down by the judge as horse bends away from the corner and not the bend round. They get very tense.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2012, 01:42:18 pm »
I looked into the 'invisible fence' idea when I started keeping goats again, it was used succesfully in america, collaring a few members of the herd, to clear scrub land.
I planned on using it to back (front) up sheep netting, I wouldn't use it AS an invisible fence, it wouldn't be fair if they weren't sure of the boundary. but the advance warning bleep as they got say 2-3 metres from the fence should have been enough after a few attempts. the 'shock' can be adjusted, as can the distance warning. I planned to run it along the fence posts rather than bury, then I would still be able to move it. I ended up going for a normal electric fence.
Seeing and hearing my goats cry and run when they first touch the 'standard' electric fence was heartbreaking, but it had to be done for their own sakes, or they would have to be tethered (one was cheap because they couldn't keep her in).
This is goats, don't know about sheep, or pigs, but the 'unit' on the collar looked quite clumsy.

I think the abusive 'guest' just came in to stir us up, we should ignore such idiots, they thrive on upsetting genuine people  :(

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 04:27:24 pm »
Well, I am sorry Bangbang, I tried not to make my post offensive. It was the "I can't be bothered to explain" etc. that I found patronising. Plus a slight on animals intelligence. My sheep are so bright that when a friend brought a Springer pup into the field next to them they ran to me and hid behind me.
Thank you,Dave for your support and I'm sorry you were blasted and Lill, I will remember that remark :o ;D ;D
Also, sorry to Dan and Rosemary, I'll try to bite my tongue in future :-* :-*

robert waddell

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:16 pm »
Sylvia smalltime was a poster before he was reduced to a guest
i am with you on the cant be bothered to explain  and the dumb aspect
if we don't contribute or comment when something is wrong it all becomes very boring :farmer:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 12:19:00 am »
Well, I am sorry Bangbang, I tried not to make my post offensive. It was the "I can't be bothered to explain" etc. that I found patronising. Plus a slight on animals intelligence. My sheep are so bright that when a friend brought a Springer pup into the field next to them they ran to me and hid behind me.
Thank you,Dave for your support and I'm sorry you were blasted and Lill, I will remember that remark :o ;D ;D

Sylvia, you have nothing to apologise.  I'm sure we were all shocked at st's rudeness. 

Annie, well done for reporting it so quickly.

As to the ECT, a friend of mine has had it in the last few years and said it helped her no end.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 07:05:29 am »

I'm confused. Is Smalltime now Sylvia???

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 08:24:58 am »
No, dear, I'm still me ;D I was aplogising for rising to smalltime's bait and dragging other's into the flak!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS