Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this a mad idea?  (Read 21024 times)

Bangbang

Re: Is this a mad idea?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 06:28:36 pm »
I posted this 'mad idea' as a stimulus for people to put there heads 'together' not bicker.
In a faint hope that someone smart might come up with a solution to 'electric fencing'.
With technology today there must be a solution! The electric fence was invented in 1936
and all that has changed since then is well NOTHING...

I don't have funding or resources to persevere alternative ideas, but posing the question might reach
someone with a level head who can.

I'd like to thank you all for your contributions to this discussion.

Who knows maybe someone who didn't post has read it and thought....
I know - there is a way that doesn't involve shocking or.......

BB

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 06:36:27 pm »
So I would ask what is wrong with electric fencing? Simple is best  ;)

I can see it going solar powered, and vegetation causing short circuits is a nuisance...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 07:27:10 pm »
I thought electric fences weren't advised with horned sheep - if that's not the case please let me know...
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 07:51:29 pm »
You could use strips, NOT netting, but you risk that the shock won't be strong enough if it just catches the horns

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 09:43:45 pm »
Fences are to designate an area of land and to keep stock in or out as the case may be.

Electric anything to control an animal is about as low as a human can get. Personally I'd like to fit electric collars on the testicles or tits of any owner using them on a dog and turn them full on until the battery runs down.

Whats wrong with good old fashion post and wire, correctly put up it will last years. It's not the next step in fence evolution it's just another bad idea.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

robert waddell

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 10:12:41 pm »
i knew this had the makings of a good old ding dong      go get em floyd :farmer:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 10:27:30 pm »
Here in Wales any sort of collar that may be able to give an electic shock if set in that mode or adapted to it is now illegal be that for cats, dogs or stock it was brought to  law by massive pressure from many animal welfare concern groups and met no opposition from the occupants of " The onion house " when they debated and passed the law.

The RSPCA type orgs also take a very dim view and a robustly strong line against electrocuting an animal into compliance and are happy to prosecute those who use them under the cruelty to animals legislation .

Me .... I'm not so squeamish and think in certain circumstances it may well be a sensible thing to use to bring an animal under control if it is done under supervision , but I'm not sure it would be the most effective solution for stock even if it was just an animal audible sound sent by radio/ infra read triggers etc. .

One thing that may surface in the future for cheap invisable stock containment are the directed ultra sound / micro waves that make things hot currently being used/ tested for crowd control rather than possibly leathal stun grenades & rubber bullets  etc.
 I saw a guy on a sky discovery weapons prog have to leg it away from a test dummy to a determined direction when exposed to a sound beam from over 200 mtrs away . Apparently they have been used in Iraq and Afghanistan to break up violent crowds & keep them apart .
This new battle field weapon may well be a fence for the future

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:35:04 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

robert waddell

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 10:30:52 pm »
did electric shock treatment work with humans :o :farmer:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 10:35:54 pm »
It appears so when used on old Sparky for most of the time .  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 10:43:04 pm »
old sparkies have curly hair       high voltage cable joiners  the current affects them     i was referring to the mentel health act where electricity was used to subdue the patient without there consent the ones throwing the switch should have been connected to the juice by there genitalia :farmer:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 10:54:46 pm »
I've read about some of the late Victorian / early Edwardian experiments along those lines .. scary stuff indeed done by even scarier so called experts of the mind.  It was called aversion theraphy or some name similar .

robert waddell

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 10:58:24 pm »
it was still caried on in the 70s and 80s :farmer:

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 11:05:49 pm »
Worth the discussion certainly and some interesting if not obvious points raised.
My two penneth would be to add that sheep will go out of their way to kill themselves without us arming them with an anklet or necklace to help them.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 11:45:09 pm »
did electric shock treatment work with humans :o :farmer:
It made my aunt very simple minded.  She became a  'poor soul' after it was done.  The story we were handed down was that she had become hysterical after losing her baby at 3 weeks and her husband running off and divorcing her so they put electrodes on her and ruined her brain.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 07:59:13 am »
i was told a story of a gundog trained with an electric collar    it ended up much like the residents in the asylums
i also know of somebody that had baby blues they ended up getting the shock treatment on a regular basis and left her in the same state as Annie's aunt
maybe this is why i question authority and think beyond the box and do my own thing :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS