Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this a mad idea?  (Read 21134 times)

robert waddell

Re: Is this a mad idea?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:53 am »
in theory this is a good idea but in practise it is domed to failure
it also has the makings of a good debate
any animal is unpredictable when given a shock fright or startled   cattle and pigs tend to go forward in these situations dogs run for there comfort zone  if a dog is lose in a cattle field and the dog gets chased by the cattle the dog runs to its master (comfort zone) that is how people get trampled
if this idea were to be manufactured i can see it being sold  but it sure ain't going to do away with fences walls or dykes :farmer:

Smalltime

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 09:00:31 am »
An invisible fence is a pretty dumb idea, I can't be bothered to explain to why, work it out. Sheep are hardly the brightest animals on earth and steers are certainly not the friendliest, especially when they get the hump or see some innocent walker with a bucket in his hand Think about it  ::)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 09:16:20 am »
does the fence have to be invisible?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 09:26:27 am »
Traditional fencing would still be needed - but I have read a lot on here about sheep rubbing on fencing, butting fencing (our Jacob ram did a lot of damage to brand new fencing etc and therefore people putting electric fencing 4 lines for sheep on the inside of this - but this is not recommended for horned sheep (I believe so we have some leaning fencing) so as a deterant it seems possible but a collar would probably not work on woolly breeds and an anklet may not stay on - how about the technology incorporated as part of their existing electronic ear tag!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:53 pm »
An invisible fence is a pretty dumb idea, I can't be bothered to explain to why, work it out. Sheep are hardly the brightest animals on earth and steers are certainly not the friendliest, especially when they get the hump or see some innocent walker with a bucket in his hand Think about it  ::)

Please do take the time to explain! If you have kept sheep for a fair time you will know that they are far from stupid but are easily panicked.  Steers are usually docile and it's not often you see a walker carrying a bucket!!!!

Smalltime

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 01:37:25 pm »
try reading through all the posts before typing - make you look less of an idiot everytime you talk to me.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 02:26:23 pm »
your out of order smalltime. thats not necessary.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 02:35:33 pm »
Bangbang,
I definitely think the idea has merits, although I am a complete novice so don't take my word for it.

The issue I have is them getting their collar/anklet caught up.

I previously had a cat who wore a collar and somehow she got one of her front legs right through the collar.  She was stuck somewhere for 4 days. By the time she crawled home the collar had 'eaten' into her armpit. The resulting vets bill was in excess of £500.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Smalltime

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 02:53:50 pm »
your out of order smalltime. thats not necessary.

You dont know the half of it. Bored of being needled. Do one.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 02:57:14 pm »
i agree, maybe u should. debate is one thing, being down right rude is another

Smalltime

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 02:59:25 pm »
I have better things to fo than relate a load of quotes. have a read.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 03:05:22 pm »
i have, obviously seeing as i was the 3rd poster on here. no one makes you post. still no reason to be rude. as you have better things to do, go do them.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 03:32:40 pm »
Guys, please!

If I understand the OP, you're suggesting the sheep carries the shocker device, yes? With a visible or invisible fence.
To be frank it churns my stomach. But that aside, my thoughts:

It's harder to change a battery on each sheep than to haul across one car battery every so often (conventional electric fence).

How would you check the battery life on every animal?

The sheep will be more prone to losing the collar/anklet/losing connection/battery draining etc.

If fence is invisible, they lose a valuable cue as to where they should/shouldn't be...sheep being mainly a "visual" animal this isn't fair. If you were training *blind* animals, then audible cues would be better. So if you were to move the invisible fence, how would they know?? If they have been trained correctly then they would effectively be hefted to that first pasture.

The shock could become associated with all sorts - like with the dog examples.

If an electric fence short circuits or goes faulty, you get scorched grass and loose stock. If a collar shorts you get a horrendously painful experience for the poor critter, if not death.

I'm out...

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 04:53:56 pm »
Smalltime, you are dam right rude and way out of line and if I wanted to hear an arsehole rant I would have FARTED. Grow up and do not belittle users on this forum.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:20:41 am by lill »

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 05:33:48 pm »
I have had many a chat on an American sheepdog forum I used to be on and the e fence is very popular and for some very effective.
There are 2 major downside as far as I can recall.

1.) Often when the animal receives it's first shock, it bolts through the boundary and is then unwilling to recross it.

2.) If the animals do learn to respect it, it can leave them to the mercy of predators as they can pass back and forth with no trouble at all, though admittedly we don't have a coyote issue here.

Personally I would always have some kind of physical barrier to at least ward off dogs etc coming IN.

Hope this helps :D

We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS