Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Telephone transfer?  (Read 4595 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Telephone transfer?
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:25:02 pm »
Has anyone transferred their telephone line to a new property without any fuss?
 We are moving to our new smallholding in 3 weeks so it seemed right to give BT plenty of notice that we would need to have a new phone number. Helpfully,so I thought, BT had recently put a leaflet through our letterbox entitled "Take the stress out of moving".

I phoned the number given this morning and, ever since, my blood pressure has been climbing higher and higher. The first person who answered seemed very helpful and everything seemed very straight forward. However, when they e-mailed the confirmation of the transfer, various vital details were incorrect.

Since then I have spent a total of two and a half hours on the phone, trying to establish whether BT knows which address I am moving from and where I am moving to. It didn't help that everyone that I spoke to was in a foreign call centre, had no idea of British geography, let alone the English language. I spent most of the time repeating myself, or asking the "assistants" to repeat themselves.

Eventually, having spoken to a supervisor, I was told that the whole system is automated. Once the details have been entered into the Homemover system, they cannot be changed. Even if they are wrong. When we moved 2 years ago it took 10 days to get a new phone line and 3 weeks to get internet access. Is it any wonder??

Sorry. End of rant. I am now half way down a very large gin and tonic and OH has peeled me off the ceiling.
But seriously, if anyone knows of a phone company who does this well, please let me know so that I can transfer my business.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Telephone transfer?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:02:52 pm »
Has anyone transferred their telephone line to a new property without any fuss?

Never, you're more likely to win the US lottery. Two years after moving my business line to our new place, BT still think we have a line at the old address. I tell them every time we don't, but no-one seems to be interested in writing it down. A single yellow sticky would help them remember next time.

Not as bad as Scottish Gas though, who once told us to report a gas meter stolen, because they'd come and taken it away and had no record of it...  :D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:03:22 pm »
Possum,
Sorry I can't help but I can commiserate. We moved 8 weeks ago and had similar problems. We were without a land line or internet for 3 week.

I hope you get things sorted
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:56:54 pm »
BT ... Bl**dy Terrible!

We've had nothing but trouble from them! So again, sympathies but no real help!
Little Blue

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:31:21 pm »
Used to be with BT , total pain. we now have everything ( TV, BROADBAND. PHONE AND LINE RENTAL ) through Sky ,no problems. unlimited internet and free phone calls to most of the world including USA and Australia as long you you hang up before the hour is up, then just redial. , the only calls you pay for are to mobiles.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:45:19 pm »
In answer to your question - Yes.

We moved to an house that had been empty for a year ( in France) last year. We called Orange on our mobile ( we used their English speaking service) - they reconnected the phone - they checked the signal to confirm we can get broadband - and gave us our phone number. The Livebox arrived in 2 days so we could get broadband . 39 Euros for broadband , unlimited international calls and all the rubbish TV we can watch.

Sorry if this adds to your frustration  :wave:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:00:30 pm »
Four years after moving 150 miles from Aberdeenshire to Clackmannanshire my old phone number still shows up on what they call their 'dashboard' - online management of my account.  Try as I might I cannot get them to remove it!   Just as well they aren't charging or I'd be flyinmg out to Mumbai to bang all their heads together ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 09:33:38 am »
My last conversation with BT,

Bad Peter sellers sound alike......." Hello Mr Howard and how are you today "  .
Me (gritting my teeth) " fine what do you want ?"
Him " We are ringing to find out why you want to leave BT "
Me " I'm leaving because you can't even get my name right, let alone my bill , my name is Douglas Howard Ault and you keep calling me Mr Howard  on the phone and on my overcharged bill, "
Him  " Oh  !  I'm so sorry about that Mr Howard and how are you today Mr Howard...."
It was at this point that I hung up.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 10:17:04 am »
Don't you just love it  ;D ;D ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:19:35 pm »
I had great fun when BT called to ask why I was leaving.
They rang, asked for me and I spent 2 minutes going to get me.
Me appeared as a doddery but pleasant old man. I did a "Grandad" in Only Fools and Horses and kept him talking for ages before I changed my voice and in my best estural English told him what I thought of BTs billing system, underhanded tariff increases and lack of their telephone number on their 4 page bill. Great fun.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:12 pm »
Yes, with Sky. I got so fed up with BT I told them to ram it. they kept on ringing so I used to leave them on hold and play some really crap music down the phone to them. They eventualy got the message.

BTw it's a load of BS they feed you about changing over telephone lines and internet and their waiting times. Essentially it's pplugging numbers into a computer to switch them over.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 11:14:23 am »
I moved home last week and had Plusnet in the old property - the move went with no hiccups or stress from them. I recommend them to anyone.

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »
When we moved to Scotland we rented in a small farm cottage surrounded by several other cottages, the BT line was cut off as the last occupant had a mental health problem (used to run around naked and police made weekly visits so very well known) There was no mobile signal either so I had to drive down a mile long lane until I got a good signal and guranteed, they would keep me on hold for ages and ages and ages..it took a long while to get through and eventualy they said we were connected but the phone line was still dead....after loads more phone calls, they had connected the wrong cottage so did connect me but what I hated the most was the time spent listening to something like Green Sleves!!!!!!

I am on BT and had a major problem and no internet, as I have a different telephone suppler thats a big mistake too but I am stuck in a contract!!!!  Both BT and the other company blamed each other....I spoke for ages and ages to some one who had a poor understanding of what I was saying and suggested I take the comp back to the shop!!!!! then I decided to get assertive and say " look, I have no internet and am paying a huge monthly sum for it, I do not care who is to blame but I am going to take it to further" he said I understand and I will see what I can do, a few min later a man with a posh English accent, reduced my bill and found the problem to be the wireless box, a new one was sent out and alls well!!!!!! I hate ringing BT as they never seem to know what the problem is!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS