Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this a mad idea?  (Read 21159 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Is this a mad idea?
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2012, 08:35:05 am »
oh - right - sorry  :)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:26 am »
I reported Smalltime quickly because I see this as a very friendly forum, and wouldn't want it to be compromised by small minds.  I have been accused in the past of being a 'holier than thou' and someone left apparently because of something I said (twice as I recall) then came back both times.  I am a wysiwyg, speak my mind, speak what seems to be the truth to me, but would NEVER insult or demean such as ST did, so If I step out of line I would hope someone would tell me immediately, as I STILL don't know what I did wrong on those occasions other than saying it as it is.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2012, 12:26:36 pm »
somewhere in another posting someone has a sheep which jumps any fences, maybe ths is a solution to that particular problem if the sheep is worth it, it would stop it before it got to the fence, as in the Rams and Billies that hammer the fences?
used wisely and as necessary I think it could be useful, but not as control for say a whole flock?
(Do I duck behind the wall now? :)

Quote from: suziequeue on April 05, 2012, 07:06:11 AM
sq, he changed to guest after i told him to sod off.
I think this has been a good debate, but is/was smalltime a member if it was changed to guest ?
so surprising to see that sort of thing in here  :(

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2012, 06:34:12 pm »
Quote from: suziequeue on April 05, 2012, 07:06:11 AM
sq, he changed to guest after i told him to sod off.
I think this has been a good debate, but is/was smalltime a member if it was changed to guest ?

If you choose to leave the forum and delete your account your posts remain, but your membership status is changed to 'Guest'. No-one can post without a valid account.  :)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2012, 07:30:36 pm »
I had a chat about this subject to my son, as he is involved with stuff like this, very technical and way above my head.

His views were that it can be done without pain and using satellite and colliers and noise.

I've asked him to give it some thought and he recons you can bring sheep down off the hills without having to go up and fetch them with slight adaptations and know exactly where they are at any time without going away from you PC or laptop/ipad.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2012, 09:47:50 pm »
That was on a countryside TV prog a couple of months ago .
 They said it is in the trial situation at present  but even then several people had formed a queue to get hold of it and experiment.
One company modified things so as to use a UAV to spot the animals then guide the dog to them .
 Now you can get a civil version of GPS down to a one metre square location  that could be a very very interesting development on big places especially if you can make the sounds like crunching turnip noises  etc.  ;).

But like has been said already a decent fence is a two way device it keeps thing out as well as keeping them in ..would a randy ram  stop at a noise when he can smell 40 new ewes .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2012, 07:01:27 am »
" ..would a randy ram  stop at a noise when he can smell 40 new ewes .? "

Don't know about the ram , but I have a Welsh neighbour........

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2012, 09:49:10 am »
I think you would need something like Ian Durey and the blockheads to subdue a randy Welshman.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Sandy

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2012, 11:27:03 am »
My uncle was a randy welsh man...no stopping him!

Joking apart, I read through all of this and was reminded just how bigoted some people can be, I stopped posting or asking questions when I was often shot down or saw others shot down for having their opinions.

A good debate or argument is fine and healthy, people who stomp about because they are not of the same opinion are not changing others opinions just stopping others posting their views or questions!!!

So reminds me of my first year at Uni on a Youth and Community course.....first few weeks we all said what we felt and op ions were aired and we began to see others views, then as the course went on, people stopped saying anything they were thinking for fear of being shot down, the people still had their same opinions but then less lightly to change them as they then kept them to themselves!!!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2012, 12:41:03 pm »
the chance of getting the leg over nothing will stop you in your quest    the stories i could tell not of me of others in there quest  :D :farmer:

Sandy

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2012, 12:57:22 pm »
Robert, I always knew my uncle was a lady's man but since learnt a lot more...he was a very dark  handsome man with a lot of charm and lived off his wits but his main aime was to bonk the whole female population, and his son, also with film star looks, used to have women on Abersoch Beach waiting for him to take them out to sea in his boat and "sort them out"  I am back in contact with his daughter, my cousin who was brought up by her aunty, he was interesting to say the least and the best bit is, he was born in wales but ancestors were scottish....

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2012, 02:06:32 pm »
I take it all back. Shock collars for randy Welsh men. ;D

Bangbang

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2012, 02:18:27 pm »
You should see what happened in the 1991 movie 'Wedlock'
and no. this was not the inspiration for my original post ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2012, 03:01:57 pm »
you will need to tell us what is in wedlock the last film Lillian and i went to was lemon Popsicle :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2012, 03:29:36 pm »
the chance of getting the leg over nothing will stop you in your quest    the stories i could tell not of me of others in there quest  :D :farmer:

I've always found B###er off,I've got an early start effective ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS