Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A farmers life for me! New tv programme  (Read 53507 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: A farmers life for me! New tv programme
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2011, 10:33:41 pm »
Was quite interesting viewing- I too thought the fencing was diabolical. If that keeps in any of those pigs long term I will be gobsmacked.

First thing I would have done would be to put up decent stock fencing. I did like some of their ideas, the sheep for dual purposes etc. I have to say I would have gone with milking goats, and looked to make cheese/yogurt/soap etc from it. But then, that's what I know.

Annie- your idea was sensible too.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2011, 11:12:07 pm »
Thanks, Beth.  I'd have had goats too, but I was a bit worried about containing them, but then I daren't give any advice to anyone on this forum any more. ::) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2011, 11:16:05 pm »
Quite entertaining I'll be amazed if the livestock stays in the pens with the rubbish fencing! I did have a chuckle at some of the stupid mistakes cause we made a few at first too... I mean why can't you run electric wire through metal stakes???  Doh ! But you soon learn. I'd have voted the girls off too, looking forward to the next one if only for the humour factor.

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2011, 11:34:52 pm »
Well I quite liked it!!!

Hubby doesn't think I'm quite such a divvy now as I was shouting at the telly, saying things like, 'That will never keep pigs/goats in!' 

If I can learn anything extra from it before I start out, that will be a bonus, and that's all I'm looking to do from it. Not to repeat the mistakes of others.

One of the comments I heard was something about working physically hard, and that was how they would win. But that isn't what it is about, that is to be admired, but it is about the profit or earning a living. Well, this programme is anyway. Not always every persons aim in smallholding.

I'll be interested in the future episodes and what I can gleen from them.

Although this forum is the best source of information and support  :love:   aww, you all know what I mean!
Lynn :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2011, 12:51:38 am »
I just loved all the animals they had chosen - all those beautiful goats   :goat: and pigs  :pig: and sheep  :sheep:. Presumably they have experts behind the scenes who won't let them be mistreated.   I thought that overall it wasn't so bad, given the fact that it's just another game show but using the animals and land as a prop.  I guessed those sisters would go, but I also wanted the 'serviced allotments' pair off too as they had done nothing except look a bit superior.  They all seemed to want to have a go and I think it's a shame that those who really want to make it work and see this as a genuine opportunity will have their efforts spoilt by the needs of 'good  ??? TV'. So rather than laughing at them as I had expected, I feel sorry for them  ::) and wish them success.
If I can stick the format, I will be watching again next week - which is of course what the programme makers want.
How would I have done it?  Pigs, chickens and cut herbs - eggs, table birds and herbs would make a quick initial income and the pigs would sell well after a while, and all would do well on that incredibly sandy soil. But we don't make a profit from our place, so my opinion is worth zilch  ;D ;D ;D  It will be interesting to see who makes a go of it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2011, 03:07:23 am »
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  Lovely to see the pigs  :pig:  :love: :pig:, sheep and goats.    Looking forward to  watching the pork production next week.

My thoughts turned to the paperwork........How would the CPH and herd numbers work?....Surely they would have been on standstill as soon as the first animals arrived?     
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Sandy

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2011, 08:18:24 am »
THey must have all done some reading up first but I was shocked how they all seemed to mess up fencing, I am sure with a good wind and some pigs pushing the lot will be flying around, not sure goats will be kept in by that bit of low electric fance, they can easily jump over. I have not read up on stuff but pigs in half and some unusual crop in the other that is quick growing so it can be cropped and pigs moved onto it so then the next crop go into the pig bit!!!!!!! Maybe thats why I have a B&B!!!!!!!!! Love goats but not sure about that fencing, is it enough?????

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40:33 am »
I dont have televison nor can I get it over here via the computer so probably shouldnt comment BUT if buying in stock did they buy in lamb/inpig/goat or barren animals.  The slightly higher costs would be compensated by the 4 month head start on meat production. 

I would have thought they would have done some research into what would sell best, and like most others would have started with free range birds - ducks, chickens and guinea fowl my personal choice.

Doganjo you have a wealth of information which I for one am always keen to read.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2011, 10:18:03 am »
I suppose fencing would have been an even bigger challenge for birds, lol. I hope we'll see some later in the series!  :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2011, 12:10:28 pm »

My thoughts turned to the paperwork........How would the CPH and herd numbers work?....Surely they would have been on standstill as soon as the first animals arrived?     
[/quote]

Presumably they would just be using the holding number of the farm, or perhaps they have acquired one just for that land for the duration of the show.  Standstill only applies to animals going off, so you can bring on whatever you want.  Animals going for slaughter are not affected by a standstill, so so far there is no problem.  If anyone leaves and the animals they have bought need to go back, then they can't do so within a week (as this is in England presumably) of the last movement on.  Any new births on the holding will require a flock/ herd number - I would assume that all plots will be considered as a single holding for the duration.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2011, 02:01:48 pm »
I'm just watching it on sky+ and it looks like it should be good entertainment.

I am sure it is the same tv programme that I had an application for but never completed.

Sandy

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2011, 03:52:18 pm »
Doganjo you have a wealth of information which I for one am always keen to read
...................I too have a lot of experience in many fields and over the years been given some good advice.........if only I could remember ;) :dunce:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2011, 04:19:51 pm »
I almost applied for this last year (before we moved to the farm). I'm glad we didn't but enjoyed watching. All seems a lot of upheaval and stress for only a years contract on a farm as the prize!

They didn't mention living in a caravan either!

I loved the curly sheep!

robert waddell

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2011, 05:47:45 pm »
i am not a great fan of jimmy(since he failed to spot the boil/abscess on his pig) i wonder if the cost of the fleet of caravans/ discovery's/ tractors /equipment etc are factored into the equation
it must have been late June at the earliest(fresh round bales of straw)    also the contestants it would not have been very good if they all had the ability to erect stock fencing probably more laughs are to come in this series with one aim MAKE JIMMY MORE MONEY

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2011, 06:29:13 pm »
the usual: clueless suited daydreamers

OI!  I resemble that remark!  ;D (well, minus the suit bit perhaps!).

I like to think though, that whilst I may be clueless, I am not naive. However, you can only begin from where you're at, and I'm sure my first attempts at many things here will be utterly laughable to those of you who have been smallholding for years.

Learning from my mistakes, and loving it!  :wave:

Womble.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS