Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A farmers life for me! New tv programme  (Read 53390 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: A farmers life for me! New tv programme
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 10:43:37 am »
Will be very interesting to watch and always looking to learn something new........especially if they do actually make a profit doing something  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 12:55:39 pm »
Jimmy was interviewed on Macauley & Co on Radio Scotland this morning. He said he didn't like the game show aspect of it but it was the only way the show would be taken on.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 01:17:04 pm »
He's started up his own production company, my guess is it was one of his ideas.......

Sorry, just not a fan of his  ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 06:04:36 pm »
Oh, I'm Henry VIII me, I've found this one guilty of nonsense farming before the trial.

:D
Sorry, just not a fan of his 

Gathered that  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 09:10:03 pm »
quite entertaining, I'm glad I didn't apply  ;D  same people I would have sent home just for not getting on  ::)  :&>

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 09:20:44 pm »
Yes, we voted the sisters off too!

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 09:22:13 pm »
How come they managed to have such good weather for the filming??!! Schleping around in mud and water would have been quite an ordeal for most of them I reckon!

I think next week will be quite interesting when they get hands on at the business end of the pork production
 :D

Tish

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 09:22:21 pm »
I knew from the start those two bickering sisters would be the first ones sent home, and as for the screws in the wood and expecting electricity to go through - O M G !!!

I'm sure we've all got different ideas on how we'd have done the first three days, but I'd have ordered weaners, put up the fences, dividing the plot into four, made a moveable shelter for the pigs in the first one, and one for chickens in the last one, and got some dual purpose pols to provide instant food and income, not sure about the middle two sections as yet but would swap the pigs along as they dug the ground. I'd also have worked out some method of getting water to the plot.

How would you experienced folk have done it?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 09:29:05 pm »
we don't have a smallholding its on our things to do as soon as we can list

but both my wife and I were shocked that no one did chickens, they appeared to be an obvious start although I don't know about there long term economic potential and as I understand the rules they are supposed to be making money not just feeding themselves etc...

I did like the look of the goats even if they aren't my personal favorites...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 09:37:08 pm »
I don't think chickens are that great as a small business unless you have a real niche (French free range birds) and can market it well or incorporate into a "real" farm shop with eggs. But I missed them, too! Birds in general!  :&>

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 09:44:28 pm »
I don't want to slag off TV programme as anything with an animal on TV I watch - just in case I learn something - but if they can only have the farm for a year it's a very small time frame, or am I wrong, we're still building, perfecting, buying, selling and my wee business from the land maybe brings in a bit now and again but not a living but then again we only have 5 acres - just seems a bit short term to me - but I'll watch and agreed with other posts don't like the knock out aspect
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 09:47:37 pm »
same thoughts here - are they expected to have the farm for a year, make a fortune  ;D ;D ;D and then buy their own from the profit theymade  ;D ;D ;D ??? :&>

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 09:51:59 pm »
Seemed like a pleasant watch. Got totally brassed off with the two who couldn't make a decision...............man they got me mad!

Are those electric fences enough to keep pigs in? I didn't think that they were but I suppose we will see. I'd have gone with pigs but I've got a hankering for pigs anyway.

I'll keep on watching never the less.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 10:26:00 pm »
Just tried the first 5 mins on iplayer. Unfortunately since I stopped watching telly about a year ago I have become very intolerant of the... well, "glossy" I suppose, nature of it all. So I tuned out and won't be tuning back in, but it looked like it might be interesting viewing if you don't mind the soap opera element....  :)
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2011, 10:31:10 pm »
It made more interesting viewing than I thought, but with the budget they were given to 'make a profit' it couldn't really be done. 'Free' new tractor, 'free' kit for the back - and no doubt 'free' shiny professional quality butchers/charcuterie kit next week. In real life it ain't free. Also in real life there might be no market for their product within their timescale either. And what about setup costs as in tagging etc etc.

But it's a tv show and no time for all that.

So, I too have my concerns about the fencing holding up, and - maybe a bit pedantic - since when did goats live off grass. Our b*gg@rs ate everything but. Hope that fencing is high cos they will be the first ones out of their designated area.

One other thing I wouldn't have done is plough the field top to bottom - first rain and everything will be dry at the top and soaking at the bottom (or washed down to the bottom).

I guessed someone with no stock would go, I can't see the program makers sending stock straight back, not good p.c. (and they want stock as it makes better viewing).

So. Until next week then........

:farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS