Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A farmers life for me! New tv programme  (Read 53262 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: A farmers life for me! New tv programme
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:48 am »
Hear hear!  ;D ;D ;D :wave:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 09:23:47 am »
I've bookmarked it, but I'm already sure I'll find it the usual: clueless suited daydreamers, they've watched a telly programme or two, love the idea of no '9 to 5', no idea about what it all involves on a daily basis, arguments as to what they should do first/next, and no idea of how long it actually takes from foot in the door to the appearance of the first 'produce'.

And let me guess - she likes 'cooking' and he 'likes a bit of diy'.

To sum up - good for the tv schedulers.  ;)

And for me - I'll just love ripping it to bits!!  :D

Advance quotes from the programme? (at least one of these has got to be right): "Oh, lovely, it's a dream come true", "Eek" (mud), "Yuk" (poop), "I'm not doing that", "You hold it", "Let's name it.....", "I'm tired", "I need a hot bath"............  ;D  ;D

Ker-chink!!

::)

Oh dear - I really do need a holiday!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I was thinking exactly the same thing until I read this. Thanks for saving me the bother :bouquet:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 09:26:42 am »
Well, I'm going to give Jimmy the benefit of the doubt and watch it.  He's usually interesting watching.  He's struggled to become a farmer himself so will know the pitfalls and highs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 10:44:32 am »
I was forwarded information about how to apply for this show and would have considered it except I couldn't qualify as you had to
1. be a pair, couples, business partners, friends, family there had to be 2 of you and you had to live in a shared caravan for the duration :o
2. be prepared to totally leave your current commitments for the duration of filming and, if you won, for a year afterwards to farm the "winner's" property - included leaving any livestock so not a starter for someone with 17 ponies and 4 cats but no willing family or other volunteers to live my life while I put it all on hold and
3. they wouldn't/couldn't identify where in the country this was to be shot or where the winners farm for a year would be located either, so theoretically very difficult for anyone with any form of commitment to a current property, people, livestock, business etc..

I will be very interested to see who made it through the selection process let alone what they make of living it every day rather than in a dreamworld.  The fact it is in the format of a gameshow puts me off (one couple evicted at a time presumably ::) ) but like the sitcom that was on as a pilot recently, I'll watch anyway because my amusement at it will be a different kind from what the makers intend but it'll still be entertaining and possibly informative if I'm very lucky as I know there's a lot I don't know ;D

So, I've put it on sky+ to record the entire series and look forward to discussion on here of what goes on ;)  It'll be amusing debate for us anyway ;D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 01:41:56 pm »
Ohhhh - thanks for the info ellied, I'll have much more ammo now when I rip it to bits!!

I've spoken in the past with programme makers of this sort of thing, in my experience they wanted people with little or no background in the subject matter, it makes better viewing. I reckon you would be have been deemed too knowledgeable.

Yes, it would be good to learn something, shame these progs just skate over the informative stuff, but here's hoping (I think all I'll learn is mud/poo sticks to boots and it rains a lot. Hang on - I already know that......)  :D

And as for Jimmy (as in Jimmy's Farm), seen the progs, been there (as was local to me)........ don't get me going on that one.

You must let us know what you think if you watch it lazybee.

:farmer:

I sound like a right old grump in these posts, I'm not, honest (well, sometimes....)!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:56:39 pm by OhLaLa »

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 02:22:03 pm »
Having just read the Radio Times review, it sounds awful. The couples have 3 days to make a bare plot into a smallholding. Why? I so wish there'd be a good programme about smallholding on sometime. Something realistic with useful information. Not going to happen! :-\

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 02:52:22 pm »
No publicity is bad publicity.  Even if it only lets a few people see reality then it's been worth it.  Don't condemn it till you've watched a couple of episodes.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 03:01:46 pm »
Oh, I'm Henry VIII me, I've found this one guilty of nonsense farming before the trial.

:D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 03:03:11 pm »
I'm not holding my breath but will watch! Can't be worse than Top Gear  ;D :&>

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 03:04:30 pm »
Yeah - no eye candy now Richard's had his hair cut!

;D  ;D  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 04:18:35 pm »
I'll give it a go. I like Jimmy - he was so bonkers on Jimmy's Farm, I had huge admiration for the long-suffering Michaela too.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 08:20:08 am »
Are Jimmy and  Michaela still together?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 09:28:22 am »
I think so - they're both on the front of Radio Times this week and she's gazing lovingly at him  :love:

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 09:48:22 am »
Like Ellie we were interested in this, actually applied and went to an interview day in London (where we live). I was quite impressed with the properness of it all, but some of the other prople that turned up looked like they were auditioning for the circus - and I bet they got through (we didn't, but on reflection we thought it might be a blessing). I don't have a telly but will try to tune in on iplayer.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 10:03:13 am »
It will be interesting and make us feel like experts.Might learn something.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS