Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A farmers life for me! New tv programme  (Read 53630 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: A farmers life for me! New tv programme
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2011, 11:59:42 am »
I've been watching this, too. Gotta agree with most people's comments, especially about the 'evicted' pairs.

Hens would have been my first choice, so long as they were layers. Immediate income potential from genuine free-range cluckers, especially if they were a pretty breed that would add marketing value to the eggs. We have just six hens at the moment and they lay far more than we can consume so we sell the surplus to friends and neighbours. I'm looking at doubling the flock size shortly.

Pigs would (and did, I think) go through some of that fencing like it wasn't really there. I'm not a fan of electric fencing, especially for intelligent determined animals like pigs. Ours would make minced meat out of it. I wouldn't have thought any more than 2 or 3 on half an acre though, but at least they can plot-share with the hens.

Goats - I seriously like the idea of being able to sell goats milk and cheese but haven't looked into the legislation - no doubt it's pretty strict. I'm told they're also pretty good escape artists, which would be a problem for our neighbours.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2011, 12:05:30 pm »
Pigs would (and did, I think) go through some of that fencing like it wasn't really there. I'm not a fan of electric fencing, especially for intelligent determined animals like pigs. Ours would make minced meat out of it. I wouldn't have thought any more than 2 or 3 on half an acre though, but at least they can plot-share with the hens.

I wouldn't keep anything in with pigs - the pigs would kill the hens. Besides anything else, it's highly likely the ground would get so muddy the hens would bog down in it and be unable to escape.

Hardfeather

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2011, 05:49:48 pm »
That woman to which the pig man objected for her shouting at the pig...she keeps horses!!!!

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2011, 08:15:10 pm »
Hmm, wasn't impressed with her approach!
Lynn :)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2011, 04:21:37 pm »
Ha, we did have to laugh (again) at the programme, but I cant take it seriously, the poor contestants were given pigs they didn't even know to show in the ring, if they had been their own reared from young as you probably would it would have had a different outcome. Also the cooking part of it was bit strange, they were asked for an idea and then had to cook it, how many people do you know are both brilliantly business minded and a great chef!! Apart from the obvious ones of course, they are not going to be good at everything they are going to have to learn along the way just like everyone else. It is definitely a game show above all else, shame really as I would have like to see something useful come from this programme.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2011, 05:04:13 pm »
I really DO need a television  and a sky dish ...

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2011, 06:51:26 pm »
Hilarys mum.

Why do you need a TV and a sky dish when you obiously have a computer? You can watch things on iplayer/4oD (channel 4 on demand) etc.

??? X

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2011, 08:26:03 pm »
not in france as iplayer is limited to uk only i believe

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2011, 08:46:56 pm »
iPlayer is only for the UK - I believe its 'sold on' to the rest of the world (most parts)

TV is an addiction - I cant think why I take it, but I do.

I hope the series develops more next week as I was very disappointed with it this week.

I want carnage - pigs eating next doors crops, sheep getting stuck in electric fences and ripping them apart, goats constantly sitting next to your caravan door bleating all night (do they ever sleep!!), machinery breaking down, planners arriving asking if they are members of the caravan club and stating 'if they are not' remove caravans from field, trying to cobble something together from pallets cos it only a £ a pallet (free if the right person is on duty!), who is going to take responsibility for the gateway trashing on the way into the area cos its got 5 couples and a film crew coming through it everyday.

--- Doesn't it make you feel kind of successful when you watch it though - car crash TV - love it.

Baz

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2011, 09:33:42 pm »
Baz  I'm so glad it wasn't just me.. what a load of crap.. I wanted to see the carnage that must have ensued with that shite fencing but all we got was pig showing.. I've got pigs and that didn't do it for me. Come on let's see them make a profit from that land!!! That means seeing how they develop the plot not their showing skills.. IMHO

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2011, 09:19:44 am »
I dont understand the point of their showing pigs which were not theirs.  Showing is the showcase for breeders surely?  An expensive waste of resources and time for the contestants. (IMO)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2011, 10:33:00 am »
They were not actually showing them at a show, but they had to don white coats, use a board and stick and go in a ring in front of a guest judge to show how they handle livestock???????????? Your guess is as good as anyone elses LOL  :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2011, 11:01:33 am »
well this week they are talking sheep   hearding    shearing and selling mutton
same as last week really with sheep             should be a laugh
it is hard to explain the relevance of the pig handling/showing(in this programme)other than entertainment factor and if they have a natural ability with stock

Sandy

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2011, 11:33:12 pm »
I enjoyed it but agree that it would be hard to come up with a recipe that is both profitable and tastly if your not into chef type cooking. I can see why though, one for the programme audiance and two to show thier budgeting skills and to see who has the best business sense, and, the pig handling was to see the way they would be in control of thier livestock, you have to have a strong will with pigs otherwise they can be dangerouse!!!!!!!!! Not a bad programme but not the bestest thing on TV!!!!!

princesspiggy

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2011, 07:25:20 pm »
id love to sell fresh meat, but cooking/processing it first would take so much time and effort, unless youre multi talented or got loads of helpers, ud be knackered at end of day. my boy wants to be a chef - maybe theres the answer!!  still a few years yet to build up our stock levels!!  ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS