Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 28936 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2020, 09:39:14 am »

With the schools closed (for the many), we now have gaggles of striplings making fair merry around the streets of Truro because they are not being controlled by their parents and they have nothing else to do. Oh great !!
Do you have children?

Btw, you do not control kids that age anymore by locking the doors. By emphasising that this virus doesn't kill the young and fit, most of them won't even know they have had it, the government and medical advice has just totally lost it. Of course they will get together, what else are they going to do?
Then they will go home and give it to their parents or grandparents who will suffer!

Even here there were lots of kids running on streets yesterday. I hope they stick to their phones and computers at home from today  :fc:

I really feel sorry for all those families who have no gardens! At least we have somewhere to go out with kids - plant seeds, feed animals, jump on a trampoline. I hope that's still allowed?
They said pet shops/animal feed suppliers are still open st least.

The rule is stay inside unless shopping, getting medical treatment, one form of exercise or to/from work so they'll have to jump on the trampoline all day! But they will be worn out.  :excited:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2020, 11:02:07 am »
My ones are 5yo and 2yo so still easy to "confine " them. It must be more difficult for older kids (or rather their parents).
He was crying to go to school for mothers day though  :-[

At least the weather is nice at the moment! Wait till we have two weeks of constant rain! Then we'll have to sit inside the polytunnel lol
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2020, 06:54:44 pm »

With the schools closed (for the many), we now have gaggles of striplings making fair merry around the streets of Truro because they are not being controlled by their parents and they have nothing else to do. Oh great !!
Do you have children?

Btw, you do not control kids that age anymore by locking the doors. By emphasising that this virus doesn't kill the young and fit, most of them won't even know they have had it, the government and medical advice has just totally lost it. Of course they will get together, what else are they going to do?

I have grown up kids.  I fully understand the problem for parents keeping children occupied for days on end.  Also, if they are teenagers & old enough to be left at home (if parents have to go to work) then there's another control issue.  All very problematic.  Even so, it is not great.

I was advised today that police have been stopping various vehicles to ascertain the "essential nature" of the drivers' travel.  I'm not sure whether that is just in Cornwall or whether it's happening farther afield - anyone?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:04:39 pm by arobwk »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2020, 08:56:16 pm »
Yes, the police are doing that here in Powys, too.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2020, 07:38:07 am »
Confinement of children; My five year old is struggling, he's a gregarious sort, misses his friends and especially his granny A LOT. Yesterday morning we had a disagreement; the younger one had done his work so earned his oatcake but older one was refusing to rake the sand into the lawn and pick stones off. I held firm; do the five minutes of work and you'll get the oatcake.

After a few minutes, looked up, older son not visible in garden. Called, ran round searching and calling round the trees behind garden, play house and alerted tractor drivers working in the yard and sheds next door who started looking for him as well.
Decided he must be further afield. Put little one in car, battery flat, back in house for other keys, move car seat and youngest. Down to main road, along to nearest farm. They hadn't seen him. Drove towards granny's house, phoned ahead, she hadn't seen him but would start looking. Drove the other way and here he was walking up the lane, tailed by a concerned neighbour in a car. Half a mile from home, he'd run all the way. Called off the search and contemplated chaining him to the washing line but he's like one of those dogs that would just choke himself. He needs a six foot fence to contain him but he's been over a few of those. Not sure how to confine him. He doesn't do well inside. Wondered about taking his boots off him to slow him down but that's not really ethical. He did rake the sand and pick off the stones and get his oatcake.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2020, 11:22:14 am »
The other evening we driving around 10 at night to put the kids to sleep. Stopped on red light and saw a boy (around 12yo) crossing the road in his pyjamas (trousers and tshirt) - no coat and no bare foot! Not even socks!
We stopped to ask him if hes ok (thought maybe hes sleepwalking?). He said hes not ok. Do you wannabe go home? No. Why? Its complicated.  He walked off. We rang police. They came in several minutes while he was still walking down the same road.
Really strange. He was obviously disturbed by something and feeling cold. I dont really want to know why he run out of home with just a tshirt and no shoes on cold evening.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2020, 11:34:09 am »
Oh, there are so many potential reasons!

"Stay at home" sounds like fine advice until you actually have to do it. But tempers are bound to fray in even good relationships (Mrs Womble and I have had some really bizarre arguments over the past couple of days). I have friends who are still trying to work a full 8-hour day, but with three kids in the house who they're suddenly trying to educate at the same time. Oh, and that's before you even consider how people in abusive relationships are coping (or not!).

I think in three months time, we'll see the divorce rate rocket, and then six months after that, the birth rate!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2020, 01:46:28 pm »
Well the letter arrived, as I am at risk I am now at home for the next 12 weeks, and so is Mrs RTB who was sent home by her employer yesterday afternoon.
Thank goodness there are 300 odd acres to get lost in and avoid each other . Thank goodness like many of us we have a reasonable food reserve from the garden, but at some time the diet of eggs, goats milk cheese butter and potatoes may get a little tiresome  :-\
Life must go on jobs to be done and animals to be fed and watered.
Thing is, I get bored easily and the devil is looking for activities for me  :D

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2020, 01:49:40 pm »
Oh, there are so many potential reasons!

"Stay at home" sounds like fine advice until you actually have to do it. But tempers are bound to fray in even good relationships (Mrs Womble and I have had some really bizarre arguments over the past couple of days). I have friends who are still trying to work a full 8-hour day, but with three kids in the house who they're suddenly trying to educate at the same time. Oh, and that's before you even consider how people in abusive relationships are coping (or not!).

I think in three months time, we'll see the divorce rate rocket, and then six months after that, the birth rate!!

Very difficult and the weather too nice. Feel for you all. But I especially feel for those kids who don't live in happy homes  :(

You can apparently have sex but only with someone in the same house and you must wash your hands after touching someone's face  :o
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:21:43 pm by harmony »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2020, 03:09:25 pm »
Harmony, I suspect the main problem will be for people who've been having sex with people from different houses..... without their better half's permission!  :o

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2020, 04:23:36 pm »
Harmony, I suspect the main problem will be for people who've been having sex with people from different houses..... without their better half's permission!  :o

I didn't get how you could have sex if you weren't in the same house at the same time  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2020, 07:28:38 pm »
Well I'm miffed at the news that Prince Charles has tested positive and is isolating at Balmoral - isn't that his holiday home? And how come he can get away with it :rant:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2020, 07:50:52 pm »
Well I'm miffed at the news that Prince Charles has tested positive and is isolating at Balmoral - isn't that his holiday home? And how come he can get away with it :rant:

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2020, 09:52:12 pm »
Exactly! Who does he think he is!? Royalty???  >:(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2020, 09:37:08 pm »

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
It's NOT funny!!!  He and his advisers knew that we were being advsied to stay at home - like all those cowboys and numpties who thought it would be a good idea to get in their caravans and motorhomes or go to the beach or popular visitor spots.

TOTAL IRRESPONSIBILTY!!!! 

And he used power and position to jump the testing queue - and even though he had symptoms she was tested too - didn't need to waste a test on her either - just separate like all of your ha ha loyal (not) subjects!

'King to be' or no 'King to be' he should be treated the same as the rest of us. 

I AM RAGING!!!!!!!!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS