Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 28766 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2020, 05:01:23 pm »
Sallyintnorth
I anticipate an apology for your rudeness!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2020, 05:04:36 pm »
Come on everybody, please chill - next you know, we'll all be fighting over toilet rolls  ::) .

One thought - do you not think that as smallholders, we're actually amongst the luckiest of people? If we are all going to be holed up for a while, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be than right here.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2020, 05:30:54 pm »
Sallyintnorth

I'm not going to apologise, hon.  I believe my response was appropriate; the sort of thing you say to a mate down the pub when they've "gone off on one". 

I am, however, going to send you a virtual hug :hug: in lieu of buying you a pint (because we can't go down the pub even if we were near enough!) because we are all stressed and a bit spikey with all of this.  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2020, 06:51:56 pm »

One thought - do you not think that as smallholders, we're actually amongst the luckiest of people? If we are all going to be holed up for a while, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be than right here.
Exactly - my life hasn't changed at all really for the time being. But I do feel sorry for folks in flats that are now being demonised for going outside for some fresh air, having to home-school their kids all of a sudden without any choice in the matter and still having to do their own job remotely... or even having to go into work or loose their jobs if they stay at home.

And as to second home owners invading the countryside - the moneyed classes always left London for their country residences in times of the plague and pestilence... nothing new here.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2020, 07:17:58 pm »
Sallyintnorth

I'm not going to apologise, hon.  I believe my response was appropriate; the sort of thing you say to a mate down the pub when they've "gone off on one". 

I am, however, going to send you a virtual hug :hug: in lieu of buying you a pint (because we can't go down the pub even if we were near enough!) because we are all stressed and a bit spikey with all of this.  :-*
I posted a legitimate and polite response. You are entitled to your views on the matter but i have no wish to engage with scatology and name calling. Goodbye.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2020, 07:48:40 pm »
I think it's a horrible shame that this has descended into squabbling.  Let's stick together and support each other please.

I have a feeling that all the people rushing off to the countryside to reduce their risk of infection had absolutely no idea that everyone else would have the same idea.  I'm sure people were just as horrified to find the crowds as local people were.

As has been said, those of us who live in the country and have land are sooo lucky at a time like this (so far anyway). We are in ivory towers.  Think what it's like for all those people shut in their flats and houses with bored screaming kids and crowded adults - and it's only just started, there's a long way to go.  They have no chance to get outside in the fresh air, so of course they would rather be out in the countryside, and if they have a plan then that's not surprising.  The same thing has happened in the Highlands and elsewhere too where there are open spaces.  It is also natural for people not to expect to be one of those struck down, so they will not have thought about overwhelming the NHS.

Please be friends you two - we can never have enough friends  :hug:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:50:14 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2020, 08:34:28 pm »
I'm with Fleecewife and it is getting ever more fractious, disturbingly, in the real world also:  I was snapped at today by my Tesco "Self-service assistant" because I hadn't quite understood Tesco's new arrangement whereby only every-other self-service station is open to maintain separation".  There I was bemused only to be told "Get back behind that line!"  rather than  "Excuse me Sir, but could you please .... ".  I could not but suggest to my Self-service assistant that she might wish to think about her manner when speaking to customers.  I'm drafting my complaint to Tesco management. 

And [member=16228]pgkevet[/member] please don't disengage.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:41:25 pm by arobwk »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2020, 10:02:59 pm »
And as to second home owners invading the countryside - the moneyed classes always left London for their country residences in times of the plague and pestilence... nothing new here.

Funny you should say that, Anke...... (see attachment)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2020, 10:19:38 pm »

Funny you should say that, Anke...... (see attachment)
Yep

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2020, 10:33:17 pm »
I feel very priveleged.   :thumbsup:
I am 76, with some health issues but hopefully nothing that will hospitalise me if i catch 'the thing' - i do get tired easily though
I have a decent pension, and have been having my groceries delivered for a month
I have a lovely house with beautiful views that I'm renovating with the majority of the trades work already done, leaving me with decoration to do that I can manage if I take it slowly.  The rest can wait.
My fence is secure for my dogs to exercise in, although I can take them down the farm road for a walk once a day.  There is some labour intensive work needed (hopefully gravel for the back garden coming tomorrow) ; (and soil and compost coming on Thursday for the raised beds hopefully)but if I take it bit by bit and sit down for a rest every half hour I can probably do a good bit of it.

I have some plants and fruit trees given to me at Christmas. and have ordered more plants - hopefully they are on their way, and my girls are very good at digging holes so I may not have to dig much to plant the trees  :innocent:

My son lives in an upper flat but he has a garden which he will be able to work in, and he is now working from home - although his engineering projects may be cancelled or postponed

My daughter is a teacher, her partner a doctor - both in the front line. They have three angry teenagers at home from unim and school  :roflanim:

We will celebrate when this nightmare is over.

Make the best of what you have my dear friends.
AND we're heading for summer!
Stay safe xxxxxx
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2020, 10:42:47 pm »
To requote Mr Pepys with an extract from Womble's recent attachment ... "I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about.  Not a care had these rogues for the health of their elders!"
With the schools closed (for the many), we now have gaggles of striplings making fair merry around the streets of Truro because they are not being controlled by their parents and they have nothing else to do. Oh great !!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:13:30 am by arobwk »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2020, 10:43:18 pm »
I think it's a horrible shame that this has descended into squabbling.  Let's stick together and support each other please.

I have a feeling that all the people rushing off to the countryside to reduce their risk of infection had absolutely no idea that everyone else would have the same idea.  I'm sure people were just as horrified to find the crowds as local people were.

As has been said, those of us who live in the country and have land are sooo lucky at a time like this (so far anyway). We are in ivory towers.  Think what it's like for all those people shut in their flats and houses with bored screaming kids and crowded adults - and it's only just started, there's a long way to go.  They have no chance to get outside in the fresh air, so of course they would rather be out in the countryside, and if they have a plan then that's not surprising.  The same thing has happened in the Highlands and elsewhere too where there are open spaces.  It is also natural for people not to expect to be one of those struck down, so they will not have thought about overwhelming the NHS.

Please be friends you two - we can never have enough friends  :hug:

In some places cars were practically bonnet to bumper. Plenty of opportunity to see everyone had the same idea, turn round and go home  :thinking:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2020, 06:41:35 am »

With the schools closed (for the many), we now have gaggles of striplings making fair merry around the streets of Truro because they are not being controlled by their parents and they have nothing else to do. Oh great !!
Do you have children?

Btw, you do not control kids that age anymore by locking the doors. By emphasising that this virus doesn't kill the young and fit, most of them won't even know they have had it, the government and medical advice has just totally lost it. Of course they will get together, what else are they going to do?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2020, 08:28:31 am »

Do you have children?

Btw, you do not control kids that age anymore by locking the doors. By emphasising that this virus doesn't kill the young and fit, most of them won't even know they have had it, the government and medical advice has just totally lost it. Of course they will get together, what else are they going to do?

If people continue to ignore the rules then we will get more restrictions like curfews.  I feel for families especially with the good weather but we are where we are.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2020, 09:23:06 am »

Do you have children?

Then they will go home and give it to their parents or grandparents who will suffer!

Even here there were lots of kids running on streets yesterday. I hope they stick to their phones and computers at home from today  :fc:

I really feel sorry for all those families who have no gardens! At least we have somewhere to go out with kids - plant seeds, feed animals, jump on a trampoline. I hope that's still allowed?
They said pet shops/animal feed suppliers are still open st least.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS