Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 29024 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2020, 06:49:18 pm »
And here's a request from Cornwall:  Do Not Come Down right now !  Thank you very much.

Cornwall has one of the lower instances of confirmed infection so far, thankfully, BUT has one of the oldest regional populations in the UK and some of the lowest numbers of intensive-care bed spaces in the UK !  I would like to think those precious I-C beds will remain available for locals and that our supermarkets are not further raided by an incoming hoard !

So, if you have a 2nd home here or a caravan or motor-home, please reconsider before you head for the A30.  "Everywhere" is shut;  there is nothing to do;  please stay at home.  Pretty please !
When Idy Amin announced that Uganda is throwing all the Asians away, the Leicester City Council sent lots of leaflets and posters to Uganda to say that theres no jobs available in Leicester, so much poverty and so. Basically they said please dont come - and what happened? Most asians from Uganda cam to Leicester! And most of them are still there lol
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2020, 07:20:17 pm »
And here's a request from Cornwall:  Do Not Come Down right now !  Thank you very much.

Cornwall has one of the lower instances of confirmed infection so far, thankfully, BUT has one of the oldest regional populations in the UK and some of the lowest numbers of intensive-care bed spaces in the UK !  I would like to think those precious I-C beds will remain available for locals and that our supermarkets are not further raided by an incoming hoard !

So, if you have a 2nd home here or a caravan or motor-home, please reconsider before you head for the A30.  "Everywhere" is shut;  there is nothing to do;  please stay at home.  Pretty please !

Been the same in the Lakes although today wasn't as bad I didn't think. Cumbria Police put out a message yesterday asking people to stay away as did many other places. They need to get a message up on those overhead motorway signs. The vast majority must have been day trippers.

Our local shops have been coping well and there has been some visitors but yesterday was like the start of the Easter Hols. Camper vans everywhere. Bikers and walkers in big groups. No bread, loo rolls, flour or pasta whereas all week it's been ok.

Mixed messages from Govt about going out haven't helped.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2020, 07:28:34 pm »
Thanks macgro7 so here's an addendum to ... And here's a request from Cornwall:  [where?]

... There are stories of fisty-cuffs over toilet rolls in the mythical place of St Austell Tesco.  Coughers have been rounded on and intimidated by angry non-coughers in an unspecified mythical Cornish supermarket.  Cornwall really doesn't exist and the western extreme of Great Britain is Devon actually - where there are already quite a few Covid-19 cases so beware. 

Personally, if I was venturing across GB right now in a westerly direction I would venture no farther than Somerset or Dorset, which I understand are real English counties with lots of uninhabited areas albeit still a bit marshy in places for camping right now.  Taking the latter into account, may I suggest one does not venture farther west than mid to upper Wessex.  Social distancing works even better at 200 miles.  Thanks much from a mythical Cornish Piskey  ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:25:56 pm by arobwk »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2020, 09:39:36 pm »

this
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2020, 09:59:56 pm »
Similar 'don't come to cornwall' message on facebook.
I'd point out the following: People that bought second homes - spent money locally , took the initiative to give themselves a bolt-hole in case of city issues etc should be considered as pre-emptive refugees.

Everyone is scared and doing what they think is best for themselves and their family.

Reality is that if/when this really bites hard then what limited ICU space will have to be shared and folk moved about to wherever there may be capacity. Frankly I'm appalled at the notion that someone would deny a free bed to a 'townie' just in case a local needed it.

Most of us are here are rural (obviously) and like most of you my nearest hospital is 30 miles away but my nearest Welsh hospital is over 100miles away. Your attitude is that since i moved to wales i shouldn't get treated 30 miles away but take my chances queueing at an over-subscribed facility way further?

I'd guess Cornish folk would rather croak than take up a free bed outside their area?
Sadly we do have the thickies and the unthinking that feel a day out shouldn't be hampered by the fact everyone else thought a sunny day up Snowdon was a good idea and younger folk believe they are safe to group not realising they'll go home and give it to less safe folk.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2020, 10:31:58 pm »
I'd point out the following: People that bought second homes - spent money locally , took the initiative to give themselves a bolt-hole in case of city issues etc should be considered as pre-emptive refugees.

Everyone is scared and doing what they think is best for themselves and their family.

Reality is that if/when this really bites hard then what limited ICU space will have to be shared and folk moved about to wherever there may be capacity. Frankly I'm appalled at the notion that someone would deny a free bed to a 'townie' just in case a local needed it.

Most of us are here are rural (obviously) and like most of you my nearest hospital is 30 miles away but my nearest Welsh hospital is over 100miles away. Your attitude is that since i moved to wales i shouldn't get treated 30 miles away but take my chances queueing at an over-subscribed facility way further?

I'd guess Cornish folk would rather croak than take up a free bed outside their area?
Sadly we do have the thickies and the unthinking that feel a day out shouldn't be hampered by the fact everyone else thought a sunny day up Snowdon was a good idea and younger folk believe they are safe to group not realising they'll go home and give it to less safe folk.

I'm biting my tongue pgkevet !!!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2020, 08:40:54 am »
This Guardian article is interesting from a smallholder perspective. Perhaps we're ahead of the curve for once!

Certainly, a friend of mine who sells poultry has been fielding many, many times more calls than usual over the past week!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2020, 08:47:54 am »
This Guardian article is interesting from a smallholder perspective. Perhaps we're ahead of the curve for once!

Certainly, a friend of mine who sells poultry has been fielding many, many times more calls than usual over the past week!
Time to disable your contact details on any of the internet/facebook etc pages you maintain...

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2020, 10:19:08 am »
Two weeks ago we were drowning in eggs.
So we put them on ebay for £10 for half a dozen (as haching eggs).
Last week someone ordered £120 worth! I had to cancel order ! We only have a dozen hens!
Never been more grateful for the chickens - at least we have plenty chicken feed - worst case scenario - we will just eat eggs lol

Keep your chickens safe though from foxes and nutters who cant find any in the butcher shops.
Plenty of people asked me for chickens too. I have to tell people (family, friends) that we dont have any
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2020, 10:40:23 am »
So hatching eggs will become POL hens by about September. Frankly I'm not sure I see the point. Plant some courgettes and Swiss chard instead!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2020, 10:52:14 am »

People did not buy "bolt holes" in case of city issues. Anyway, this isn't a city issue it's a national one. Nobody is denying anyone a bed at all and I think you get that.

People in tourist honeypots were inundated with people over the weekend. Yes, get air and exercise but don't get in your car and travel to do it. I lost count of the number of large groups I saw yesterday. 10 plus walking, cycling, scramble biking. Campervans everywhere, do doubt thinking they are self sufficient/isolated to a large degree. And they probably are but they still need fuel.

Lets not start falling out on here. Although self isolation is bound to make people grumpy  :roflanim:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2020, 11:20:33 am »
Nobody is denying anyone a bed at all and I think you get that.
That was the implication of the post I answered. Cities are also going to get hit darder than rural areas to begin with...it'll get us later....

Sadly human nature is self-preservation and greed. It's an evolutionary trait. Even sadder is that we have a high proportion of stupid people in our society incapable of thinking ahead - so they carry on denying this disease and indulging in their usual profligacy.
Globalisation, freedom of movement, open borders, cheap travel, sending our manufacturing abroad (slavery by proxy anyone?) will always result in faster spread of disease whether it's knotweed or sweet chestnut blight or lymes disease or a direct human pandemic. It wasn't long ago that Boris wrote an article in the Telegraph tellng folk that growing runner beans deprived a Kenyan of his income - an attitude that leads to no food security.

What do I know - I've been forcasting this ever since they insisted on Pet Passports..

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2020, 01:52:18 pm »

That was the implication of the post I answered. Cities are also going to get hit darder than rural areas to begin with...it'll get us later....

I live in a rural county. We have one of the highest county totals with two deaths over the weekend.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2020, 03:17:42 pm »

I'm biting my tongue pgkevet !!!!

I'm not.  Try to be less of a dick, pgkevet  :D

Of course we wouldn't deny a townie a bed.  What we are saying is that if you live somewhere with lots of hospitals and lots of beds, please stay there and don't come into areas - like Cornwall and parts of Wales - where there are very few beds.

And yes of course we would happily go to hospital in Devon, don't be such a provocative muppet!!!  Where I live, we regard Barnstaple and Exeter (both in Devon) as our local major hospitals.  But Devon is getting a lot of cases of its own, and if they don't have spare capacity when Cornwall's beds are full...

For your information, the population of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly was around 550,000 in 2015/6.  There are a total of 750 beds of all types in Cornwall's hospitals.  That's approx 1.36 beds per 1,000 people.  The national average is 2.54 per 1,000.  The national average on ICU beds is 6.6 per 100,000.  So we should have 36 in Cornwall, yes?  I can't find a validated figure but I read earlier this week that we have 10.  TEN.  And our population has a higher average age than the national average too, so will place higher demands on hospital beds for this disease.

As to you implying that the "go home" messages apply to people who have moved here and live here, that's not the case at all (in Cornwall, at least, can't speak for Wales.)  It's aimed at people deciding to book a cottage and do their isolation here instead of London; people who have a second home as a holiday home ditto. 

It's a plea to people who have a home where there is better hospital bed availability than here, to please stay there and use their local facilities.  To not come and swamp ours, leaving none for us.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2020, 03:28:35 pm »
People that bought second homes - spent money locally , took the initiative to give themselves a bolt-hole in case of city issues etc should be considered as pre-emptive refugees.

My experience is that some second home owners spend money locally and have bought the home as an intended retirement home.   But many - possibly moreso in Dorset, Devon and Dorset than Cornwall, I don't know - have bought second homes purely as holiday homes, often (in normal times!) bring provisions with them and or continue to buy things online, so use the local shops and so on very little, maybe just a family meal out on Sunday; until recently used to pay less Council Tax etc (and claim that was fair as they didn't use local services, qed), etc. 

In the current situation we would urge all of them to please stay where they are if they can, along with folks with no property here but thinking of heading this way in their campervans, booking a cottage (of those still available) etc, and leave the few beds in our hospitals to the full-time residents.

But if anyone is here from out of the area and falls ill, they will get exactly the same treatment as any local.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS