Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 28923 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2020, 01:47:05 pm »
I wouldn't go but by then London maybe on lockdown anyway.

That's the thing.  Locked down for three months at the smallholding and unable to work is my idea of heaven.

Locked down inside the M25 for three months is my idea of hell!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2020, 02:29:33 pm »
Crap.

Just had a call from a client in Watford - they want a three day meeting next week, and it must be face to face.

What would you do, folks?
Honestly I think they are taking the mickey. And I thought you had resigned from your job and are working your notice period? Also I think by next week you will find it impossible to get any form of public transport, airport may well be shut. Just don't do it.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2020, 03:18:00 pm »
I wouldn't go but by then London maybe on lockdown anyway.

That's the thing.  Locked down for three months at the smallholding and unable to work is my idea of heaven.

Locked down inside the M25 for three months is my idea of hell!!

With you all the way on that one.  Ask the client for their justification for f2f and their risk assessment/liability cover if, as a result of F2F either you are infected by them or vice versa.  Ask why they can't do multi-location video conferencing with appropriate etiquette to ensure everyone gets their say and it's just as effective as F2F.  Ask them to put insurance cover in place that compensates you at 3 times your day rate for as many months as necessary should you be infected as a result of the meeting and for a minimum of 12 weeks (7 days obviously as you'd need cover for the croft if you're ill)... and see if they still insist on F2F thereafter!

I liked that, a lot
Crap.

Just had a call from a client in Watford - they want a three day meeting next week, and it must be face to face.

Respectfully sent the out of touch client a few links to the current world and national situation, they may not know what is happening

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2020, 08:31:46 pm »
Fleecewife - I think I'd be positively dangerous these days if they tried to recall me back into action! Aside  from being less physically able then I was in my 20's, my brain just doesn't work like that anymore. I'm a crofter and a crafter. And how would they get around the registration aspect? I had to do an ENB back to nursing course after having my children, so would they expect the same? Its crazy!
On the subject of chinese hospitals - they may be sprouting up like mushrooms in the dark but did anyone see the one that collapsed?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2020, 08:56:33 pm »
I think that was a hotel being used as aquarantien facility and not a new rushed building.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2020, 10:10:58 pm »
Crap.

I don't understand why most busineses think meetings need to be face to face (even without any of the current issues).

I work off shore and for years we have used video conferencing daily.   Really, if I can have a flawless video meeting through a crap satellite link from a ship in the Eastern Mediterranean then 2 offices in the UK can do it.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2020, 11:31:21 am »
In other news.... a second dog from the same household in Hong Kong has tested positive.  There's no evidence that people can catch it from dogs, nor that the dogs suffer ill health as a result.  https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120460265/coronavirus-second-dog-in-hong-kong-tests-positive-for-covid19?cid=facebook.post&fbclid=IwAR3FRQGBI_4LDAg8nO3PhWl_w4HnckqLCWYVjS5CmJJ5cV-ED_cIEX0S1U0

I heard yesterday that a farmer went to the vet to collect something and was told "he would be OK as he already had immunity because his cows had it last year". Now I don't know if that is correct but it does seem to me that as it was supposed to have started by people eating infected bats then other animals might get/carry it. You can pass a cold to your ferret. People are already asking to have their dogs put down.  :(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2020, 11:45:05 am »
FFS.  All coronaviruses wander around all species all the time.  They mutate and cross from one species to another.  Every so often, a particularly virulent, pathogenic and contagious one arises that can pass from human to human and we get our pandemics. 

This one is ultra-nasty, so I guess it's no surprise it's jumping from us to our dogs and other species we are close to.  But that doesn't mean it can yet pass dog to dog, which is the only thing that would increase human's risk from it.

This news does however mean that if I ever do decide I can safely visit my folks (who are in isolation now, with my sister keeping herself and her husband as locked down as possible too so she can help them with it all), then my sister will say I can't bring my dog into their house  ::)   But Mum really loves to see the dog, so perhaps I will have to make sure Dot doesn't play with other dogs, so she's been isolated too :/  And as Dot is a complete fruit loop, I don't let other people fuss her anyway, so she won't have picked it up from other humans,
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2020, 01:18:19 pm »
I understand that dogs are in the same category as surfaces.  So do not allow others to touch your dogs and wash your hands after touching a dog.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2020, 02:30:43 pm »
Oh poor dogs and people  :'(

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2020, 02:35:59 pm »
Even trying to explain the idea of "social distancing" to a nearly two-year old lab is going to fail....

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2020, 02:52:46 pm »
I've got a 13 year old lab, I guess she'd fall into the 'do not go out, do not talk to anyone, don't do anything' category.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2020, 10:50:44 pm »
Even trying to explain the idea of "social distancing" to a nearly two-year old lab is going to fail....

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2020, 02:43:23 pm »
I have a plan!!!
 Instead of isolating at home I'm going to use the car. All airvents ae stuffed with cotton wool soaked in overproof rum. I now drive without a cAr3 1n The VV0r..l...d..

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2020, 03:39:52 pm »
Nah!  Ride a bike:  Helmet, visor, gloves, whole-body protective clothing, keeping your distance and if someone does sneeze, you can be out of there before the virus particles settle  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS