Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help for 2 Retired Hairy Coloured Cobs - North Aberdeenshire  (Read 8784 times)

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
Help for 2 Retired Hairy Coloured Cobs - North Aberdeenshire
« on: September 28, 2016, 10:33:51 pm »
Hello,  I have 2 lovely cobs, we've been together 17 years and are my life.  Since moving to our new house 2 years ago, we have had problems with neighbours having fireworks.  2 Christmas's ago my next door neighbour had fireworks for 3 hours each night and 2 nights running.  The stress made my gelding get colic (for the fist time in his life).  Since then, any fireworks or anything that makes him stressed or anxious and even depressed he gets poorly and stops eating.  He has now been diagnosed with Kidney failure and Cushings.  We have stables and are stabled at nigh in the winter but the stables don't protect them from the noise or seeing the fireworks. 

I am sorry for the long story and I know this is a very long shot, but I wondered if there is anyone who would be able to rent us a field and inside stables for the duration of November through to January - till the fireworks season is over?  They are lovely horses, mare and gelding.  I am very happy to pay and can provide references.  The only other person I know on this site is my friend Claire from Brucklay Pygmy Goats.

I live near Cornhill  Ideally I don't want to have to travel the horses very far (due to stressing / exciting them with the journey). 

If you know of someone that could help or recommend someone, I'd be soo greatful if you could provide me with details.  If you would like more info etc, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks for reading my post. x

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Help for 2 Retired Hairy Coloured Cobs - North Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 11:27:22 am »
Good luck with your search. Surely that amount of fireworks going off each night constitutes a noise nuisance! Get your own back by getting a few cockerels for summer mornings!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 11:43:06 am »
I get this too. Last year I had to stay with Dolly until 2am. They started their firework party just after 9pm when I thought it was safe to leave the ponies and turn off the radio. Dolly was bouncing off the walls. What about a calmer.

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:56:41 pm »
Thank you both for taking the time to read my post and reply.  We did get a calmer from our vet, but we don't know when the fireworks are going to be or who will have them, especially around bonfire night as people seem to have them on different days (not just the 5th Nov).  My neighbour that had them for 3 hours 2 nights in a row was family visiting my neighbour - so a cockerel wouldn't make me feel better.  I pleaded with my neighbour to ask her family not to have them but she wasn't bothered. 

The horses have never been ok with fireworks, but up until we moved here they have never been ill because of them.  Now my gelding is poorly, we can't a ford for him to get stressed.  I am so worried we will loose him. x

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 09:04:33 pm »
I feel for you Eeyore!  I have similar issues.  It wouldn't be quite so bad if they'd have the decency to let me know a few days in advance so that I could do my best to prepare things to minimise the stress for the livestock but no, bad neighbours will be bad neighbours and I swear a couple of them take pleasure in it.

Some years back my mare was very badly injured in late October - it resulted in the insurance company writing off her leg after 12 months of treatment.  I could never prove anything but it looked like fireworks had been set off in or near her field (I found the 'casings') in her field.  From the damage it appeared she'd galloped off, fallen over and skidded under a fence as she'd sheared a layer of skin about 15 inches long and 3 inches wide from a back leg.  Fortunately it wasn't deep and there was no underlying damage... Nonetheless the skin flap had to be removed, and the open wound kept sterile for months.  Skin grafts were attempted and failed and it was around 15 months before the leg had a 'covering of skin'.  Even now, many years later it breaks open at the slightest knock.  It meant I was unable to event her as intended when she was purchased.

The fireworks start here around August and continue through until May.  Randomly.  I keep a diary to see if I can predict birthdays on top of the usual, halloween, guy fawkes, St Andrews, 12 days of Christmas, Hogmanay and New Year, Burns Night, St Valentines, St Patricks and every full moon!  Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a pattern.  The noise is horrific, and it can be any time (although they usually start somewhere between 10 and 11 and go on until around 2), it's also not limited to weekends.

It's unfortunate that fireworks are not banned other than for organised and advertised parties on specified dates.  Yes I liked them as a kid, but the difference is that those were sparklers and fizzles not the supersonic, ultra-loud  industrial things they sell these days!

I wasn't amused when I found the remains of fireworks and Chinese lanterns near the hay barn and horse shelters a couple of years ago, but apparently Environmental Health won't deal with it and neither will the police.

For the days I can predict, I leave them in the barn with the lights on inside and the floodlights outside as well as the radio on loud.  I hope that it helps to reduce the flash and noise shock for them, and as soon as I hear it I either sit watching the baby cameras or head up there if I can see them getting disturbed.

I'd love to help you out, but I don't think you'd be any better here than where you are... need to look for a more remote location I guess.  Good luck, I hope you work something out.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 10:03:15 am »
Feeling for you.   :hug:

The horses which live in the fields around my mum's place were terrified by unexpected fireworks nearby, broke out of their paddock, got on the road.  One ended up dead.   :'(

We need legislation.  Loud and big fireworks should require a license, part of which would be a requirement to give proper notice.  Perhaps even needing permission to be specifically granted apart from certain days in the year, and certain venues.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 05:45:07 pm »
Feeling for you.   :hug:

The horses which live in the fields around my mum's place were terrified by unexpected fireworks nearby, broke out of their paddock, got on the road.  One ended up dead.   :'(

We need legislation.  Loud and big fireworks should require a license, part of which would be a requirement to give proper notice.  Perhaps even needing permission to be specifically granted apart from certain days in the year, and certain venues.

I'm with you Sally, but every time a petition gets raised to parliament it gets written off as the fun police.  Every year children and animals are killed or maimed and yet our politicians think that limiting them to organised displays is overkill.  I saw on our local news today that 2 teenage boys (15 & 16) had been charged with 'reckless conduct' after posting a firework through a letterbox!
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 06:59:38 pm »
Apart from November the 5th and New Years Eve I don't think you can let fireworks off after 10pm at night. I don't know about Scotland.

We get them here and actually none of my horses are bothered luckily but if they are really loud or go on too long IMO I go round and give them a b*ll*cking.  I once rang the police as one cottage were letting them off on a right of way and the police told me about the time limit.

I would go round and ask them to come and help you with your frightened horse and maybe if they can see the effect they might take heed.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 07:36:36 am »
Bloody Hell! Find a local livery or retirement yard?

I suggest you ring the police every time you get fireworks outside the specified periods. It sounds completely unacceptable for everyone in the vicinity and clearly dangerous for nearby animals. My horses wouldn't be very bothered but my dogs would be utterly traumatised!

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 11:26:27 am »
Thanks everyone for replying and telling me your experiences.  Scarlet.Dragon, you've gone through a horrendous time - your poor horse.  Animals being traumatised and, much worse, ending up dead as a result is heartbreaking. 

I am aware of the legislation as I used work for Trading Standards, who are the department that license the sale of fireworks.  I wish they would only be sold to licensed displays only.  After all, on the 5th Nov people that let off fireworks are celebrating an act of terrorism!  A house in my village last year had fireworks at new year and the sound they made was like a sonic boom or a bomb going off - they had loads of them.  So even if I could get them inside and they couldn't see the fireworks and with a loud radio, the noise these made was unbelievable - my house shook!

My neighbour's family that let off the fireworks did let me know, but there isn't much I can do with 10 mins notice and just on the other side of my house. 

I have just ordered Zylkene as I know it works really well on my dog and it's natural so fingers crossed this will help.  I am going to ask my local farmer if he has a barn or somewhere quite that I can keep them for a few months.  My field could do with a rest too.

Have you all tried asking a local farmer if they have somewhere quieter for you horses?  It breaks my heart all these lovely animals are being traumatised and injured due to fireworks.

Something has to be done.  I don't suppose writing to our local councillor telling them about what fireworks have done to our pets would help.  Maybe the more people that did complain and put pen to paper would help?

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to my post, it means a lot to know I'm not alone, although I wish in some ways I was, as I don't want anyone else or their horses to go through this every year. x

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 04:07:04 pm »
I have been thinking about your poor horse and into my mind came ear muffs You can get them for racehorses that get upset at the noise of horses (hopefully!) behind them. A bit of extra muffling may be needed but that, combined with a close shut loose box may do the trick!
Hevxxx99, my dogs love fireworks and will ask to go outside to watch and listen. I've only ever had one that was mildly bothered and he would go under the kitchen table and shiver gently!

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 10:41:49 pm »
Hi Devonlady, thanks for replying. 

I have tried the earmuffs before.  I put one of those ear muff /fringes that show jumpers wear, on them both and I made little bags of cotton wool in tights and put them in their ears then put the muff/fringe thing on them.  It didn't help much because I think it made them anxious (probably felt it from me).  I don't think it would work here as the fireworks my neighbours had last new year were so loud I could feel the bang in my old cottage which has 2ft thick stone walls.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and offer suggestions of help, it is so lovely to be part of a community that cares greatly for the welfare of our pets. x

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 03:24:58 pm »
Bloody Hell! Find a local livery or retirement yard?

I suggest you ring the police every time you get fireworks outside the specified periods. It sounds completely unacceptable for everyone in the vicinity and clearly dangerous for nearby animals. My horses wouldn't be very bothered but my dogs would be utterly traumatised!

The 2 biggest problems around here are the local farmers (one of whom is the livery yard)... along with their friends to whom they sold a cottage a few years back.  Nothing to be said beyond it's what I've come to expect from farmers who's only concern is 'subsidy' rather than 'crop and livestock' farming!

I strongly suspect the owners of horses at the livery have absolutely no idea what is going on at the yard out of hours!!!  Or even during the week come to that matter.  On more than one occasion I've either extricated horses from the randomly distributed metalwork they call 'fencing' or helped neighbours catch loose horses headed for or already on the main road.  I've even ended up screwing up my biosecurity to get them secured with not so much as a thank you when the grooms are sent several hours later to pick them up (and no one ever bothers to offer to pooper scoop the mess they've left)!   A few years back, there was a standing joke that was that if anyone was doing any fencing they could take the old posts up to feed the horses as they were running out and had nothing else....and as for the state of the water troughs; well probably least said soonest mended on that count!!! 

The latest 'sport' the livery and farmer the other side have, is shooting high powered rifles right next to my livestock.  The livery shooter stands at the back of my goat shed (about 3 meters away which is my boundary with their land); whilst the farmer the other side has taken to lamping alongside where my horses settle for the night.  That's when he's not shining the lamp into my bedroom...  I'm spending hours outside at night trying to calm everything down, by the time it's all settled and I come back in the 'neighbours' (note my careful use of language there) are back having another round.  It feels like it's nothing short of terrorism at times.

I did phone the police non emergency at one point who helpfully suggested I had a quiet word with the individuals concerned.  If they think I'm stupid enough to approach armed men in the middle of the night to ask nicely that they stop terrorising me....  I have a feeling that I may need to get myself a firearms licence to do some pest control of my own!

Honestly, if anything was going to drive me to give up my croft and livestock it's having to put up with the behaviour of these people.  I sometimes wonder if it would be kinder for the animals if I did.  Anyway, rant over for now.  I know it's the time of year that's getting me down as much as anything else.  I just hope that karma comes back to bite these individuals in the areas that are most sensitive to them!

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 06:15:20 pm »
Oh Scarlet.Dragon, you're having a horrendous time.  Are you able to move?  I know we shouldn't let people get to us, but this must be terrifying and so worrying for you and wearing you out physically and mentally!  I hope things get better soon for you and your babies. x

Coloured cobs in NE Scotland

Started by Pony-n-trap (15.44)

Replies: 0
Views: 1806
Last post September 30, 2010, 07:15:12 pm
by Pony-n-trap
Looking for Grazing for 2 Lovely Cobs - Aberchirder Area of Aberdeenshire

Started by Eeyore (13.76)

Views: 1083
Last post August 03, 2016, 05:03:25 pm
by Eeyore
What do I need to know about cobs?

Started by SallyintNorth (8.76)

Replies: 6
Views: 429
Last post February 23, 2021, 02:15:47 pm
by SallyintNorth
Unhandled Cobs....

Started by Pony-n-trap (8.66)

Replies: 8
Views: 4782
Last post November 23, 2010, 05:45:52 pm
by Pony-n-trap
Farriery in Aberdeenshire

Started by verdifish (5.72)

Views: 1315
Last post May 22, 2014, 09:05:38 pm
by verdifish

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS