Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whats so great about goats?  (Read 6784 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: Whats so great about goats?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 12:20:58 pm »
whats not to love about goats  :innocent:

they are easy to handle, to my mind they are like a cross between a dog and a sheep. They can be your best friend and sit with you for hours but still have that independent streak.
Even on the roughest day they can make me smile and laugh with their nonsense, plus there's the usual milk (cheese etc), meat and skins.
but they are so addictive, my herd started with 1 and now I have 20  ;D but I wouldn't swap them for the world and can't see myself never having a few goats about the place
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 12:55:37 pm »
One of the downsides - when your OH announces that he's just been cuddling the most beautiful girl in the work and he not talking about you but about a little spotty Anglo Nubian  ::)
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 02:15:14 pm »
Clydesdale I'm already there ::)

When he comes home and says "hello beautiful" I don't answer as I know he is talking to the cat :-\

Well MGWoM your new man sounds wonderful and I'm glad you got the chance to wear your short sleved pully  :thumbsup:

I used to milk Toggs, Anglo Nubian and Saanen, but havent handled boer or GGs. I was hoping that one of you would tell me that they are great at clearing pasture between sheep and pigs or brilliant for keeping my solitary rams company but I guess that would be geese not goats.  :(  I have just had a look on preloved and they seem to fetch far more than sheep would for castrated males at least. 140 for a pygmy wether is more than I could get for a meat ram lamb.

Looks like they will have to stay on my wish list untill I can keep them purely for pleasure as I dont want to add milking to my list of smallholding chores and my sheep give me all the meat that I need.
:goat: :love: :-\
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:33:56 pm by Buffy the eggs layer »

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 02:30:46 pm »
If you want a pair to raise for meat then I might be able to help you out - I wont be bottle feeding male kids due to time so unless they are exceptional I will be selling them at 4 days old. They are due feb - April

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 02:41:01 pm »
Oh Cuckoo!

when you say "helping"....... :-J  That's not really helping when a person would really like some but cant justify them financially is it  :innocent:

And then your gona tell me that they will be really cute wont they....? and free to a good home.....? and local, though no doubt you would probably be passing this way and offer to drop them off.......?

Ooow now look what you have done........ :thinking:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 03:15:59 pm »
Buffy Pygmy goats are always really expensive - much more so than dairy goats if you are after castrated boys
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 03:33:03 pm »
Why is that CC?

Do pygmies have a purpose other than being terribly cute?

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 04:07:56 pm »
I am afraid they wouldn't be free and probably not considered cheap at 50 for a few day old kid but the herd is CAE / CLA / Johnes tested, lambivacced, wormed and foot trimmed regularly and bred for quality and health so might offer a good start. 

They are very local and taste very good!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 04:25:41 pm »
I'm glad that they are not free Cuckoo...I would have been powerless to resist. I'm a sucker for toothless gift horses ;D

I'm guessing that you take them off in order to milk their mums then or are these the boers kids? So they need to be bottle fed to about 5 weeks ish and then fed concentrates and grass? Am I right in thinking that it costs more to raise a goat for meat than a sheep? Is that why its not viable for you cuckoo?

Do you castate them or leave them intact?

I have never located the goat farm at Seaton Ross but have come across lots of people who have worked there.I will have to google it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 04:45:24 pm »
Why is that CC?

Do pygmies have a purpose other than being terribly cute?

No, none whatsoever, is the short answer... but that answer has landed me in the bad books with a few pygmy breeders...

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 05:12:38 pm »
So do Pygmy breeders feel that the breed do have a practical purpose Anke?

Perhaps when you are that cute you dont need to have a practical purpose.....? Paris Hilton seems to have traded on that principle very successfully...... :thinking:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 06:12:08 pm »
Blasted wast of time !!
will engage you in meaningless conversation, never lie to you , never make unfulfilled promises and give unconditional love ( as long as there are carrots involved )

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 06:32:55 pm »
Hmmmmmn :thinking:  Sounds like a vegetarian I once dated Rupert  ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 07:30:40 pm »
So do Pygmy breeders feel that the breed do have a practical purpose Anke?

Perhaps when you are that cute you dont need to have a practical purpose.....? Paris Hilton seems to have traded on that principle very successfully...... :thinking:

Well I just think that to qualify as a "smallholding/farm type animal" they would have to have a purpose additional to being cute.... but it seems a lot of "smallholdings" just keep them for what exactly I cannot think of..... because - "proper" goats are as cute/friendly/people-orientated as pygmies AND give milk/meat into the bargain as well (and before anyone asks how can I eat such cuties - they should come and visit my 10 months-old wethers at the moment, horrible teenagers may be the best word to describe them (the girls can be just as bad and they try and get sex all the time  :o, but they have names, the boys don't).

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 10:07:50 am »
I think eating any of them is hard. Well it's not really the eating I find difficult I suppose, Its knowing that no matter how trusting, friendly, intelligent or characterful they are ( yeah ok and how cute). I know that I cant justify keeping them as pets. So no matter how much I would love to keep them they have to go.

My ram lambs are the the friendliest, confident, responsive, cuddly chaps that you could hope to find and continue that way into adult hood but I end up selling them or butchering them because I cant have fields full of rams who spend all their times cracking each others skulls. 

One day though I will have one of those smallholdings that has lots of cute but non productive pets and that will definitely include some pointless pygmies. :goat: :excited:

Showing goats - whats CAE

Started by goosepimple (10.76)

Replies: 24
Views: 8943
Last post September 07, 2012, 11:40:16 pm
by Penninehillbilly
Whats he up to

Started by Roxy (6.53)

Replies: 3
Views: 1374
Last post January 08, 2013, 11:12:20 pm
by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley
Great Yorkshire Show

Started by Cinderhills (6.46)

Replies: 6
Views: 2118
Last post July 17, 2010, 08:00:41 am
by Cinderhills
whats best for the kids

Started by poppy2012 (6.46)

Replies: 4
Views: 1948
Last post April 19, 2012, 12:34:36 pm
by plumseverywhere
Eeek .......whats that hole?

Started by Roxy (6.38)

Replies: 5
Views: 2658
Last post April 13, 2011, 08:02:31 pm
by Beewyched

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS