Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Antifreeze poisoning  (Read 3924 times)


  • Joined May 2012
Antifreeze poisoning
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:06:45 am »
Please be aware as the cold weather approaches.
We lost our cat Friday night, he died an agonising and horrific death quite literally screaming, yet had been relatively symptomless until it was too late. Our vets have put out a local warning. The only real symptoms are tiredness/drowsiness which in cats, is pretty normal! By the time you tattoo notice anything else, a drunk like wobbliness or excessive drinking/toileting it's too late. It's truly a ghastly ghastly end, ours died in pain and terrified. The only comfort is that it was over in less than two minutes and I was with him
Be vigilant for any out of the ordinary quietness. And if you're using antifreeze make sure any spillage is cleared up and it's stored away safely, they are drawn in by the sweet scent and it's more common than people realise. Due To the lack of obvious symptoms though, it's often Undiagnosed.
Pass the word around to anyone with cats to.
I always said I would never deny a cat it's freedom though can quite easily see why people keep theirs in.


  • Joined May 2012
Re: Antifreeze poisoning
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:17:57 am »
That should have been, start to notice


  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Antifreeze poisoning
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:27:10 am »
Too awful. So sorry to hear about your terrible experience :hug:


  • Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Antifreeze poisoning
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:30:38 am »
How nasty, your poor cat but thanks for the warning.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits


  • Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Antifreeze poisoning
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:05:53 am »
That's so so horrendous Luke.  Your poor puss and poor you  :hug:

Thank you for the timely reminder - it's not something one would normally think of.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

 Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.


  • Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Antifreeze poisoning
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 11:23:09 am »

Thanks for the warning.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing


  • Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Antifreeze poisoning
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:46:27 pm »
 :hug: so sorry to hear.

Just to warn others, ethylene glycol, the chemical which is in the antifreeze which causes crystals in the kidneys and kidney failure is also found in many winter screen washes. It has a very sweet attracting smell to animals so take care with any spillages too.


  • Joined Aug 2014
Re: Antifreeze poisoning
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 08:11:21 am »
I am so sorry, Luke to hear of your loss and in such a dreadful way. Does anti-freeze have a warning on the container, in large letters? If not, it should do!
If not, perhaps a request or demand to the companies?? I will certainly find out and, if needs be 'phone the companies involved and tell them the awful consequences of anti-freeze poisoning in animals. Not just cats but dogs and possibly wildlife too.
Another mission to accompany the fierce one I'm on now. :hug: :hug:


  • Joined May 2012
Re: Antifreeze poisoning
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 03:28:58 pm »
Thanks folks-you're a good bunch! I don't ever post much as its just me, the tree dogs n some chooks in a little house, but I do like reading and actually check back everyday!
I don't really know what the sore is with the company's, our vets said there's a campaign to have bitterents added to mask the smell and taste but time that's not enough!
He was our last mog, I in fact saved his life when he was born as he was the last and the biggest born and mum was too tire to see to him as he'd started to suffocate in his bag! He was like a dogs came on walks with the rough collies and the terriers, would stand up and knock the letterbox when he wanted in or rattle the kea when out. He was a great character, and even in his last moments was desperate to get back home which was awful. He's the last of the mogs, I find myself cat less forte first time since my parents brought me home from the hospital as a newborn! Don't think ill have another, would be too worried of something similar happening again as it was honestly the worst thing I've seen. And I'm not some tree hugger, I grew up shooting as ferreting, and around livestock, but even I was moved to vomiting after witnessing it. I've tried to spread awareness as much as possible, if someone else can e saved from seeing similar then some good has come from this.


  • Joined Feb 2014
Re: Antifreeze poisoning
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 11:06:04 pm »
Sorry to hear of your loss. Was it an accident? Its pretty common for deliberate poisoning of especially cats with antifreeze based products. If you've any doubts its worth a chat with your local police.



Started by fosse (7.63)

Replies: 5
Views: 4887
Last post April 24, 2009, 11:07:44 pm
by sandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2023. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS