Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambivac?  (Read 779 times)

MandyB

• Joined Mar 2021
Lambivac?
« on: March 16, 2021, 08:24:40 pm »
Hi I am getting some Lambivac as advised for my goats. I understand it has a very short shelf life of 10 hours and I wondered if I should use it on my 2 alpacas as well?
Does anyone use it on alpacas and what would the dosage be as I am struggling to find advice online ?
Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Lambivac?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 06:07:25 pm »
I think your vet may be the best advice, and isn't there an Alpaca veterinary society (there is for goats).

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 09:17:58 pm »
I'm with Anke on this.  Apart from anything else you need to know if the 4 clostridial covered by Lambivac (as opposed to the 7 contained in Heptavac) are relevant risk factors for Alpaca... if not then you would not be gaining anything and could be doing harm by vaccinating them.  If Lambivac isn't licensed for Alpaca, you also couldn't legally use it without a vet prescription and if you do, and you record it in your drugs acquisition, administration and disposal holding register then it could get you into trouble if/when you get an inspection.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 10:51:57 am »
If Lambivac isn't licensed for Alpaca, you also couldn't legally use it without a vet prescription and if you do, and you record it in your drugs acquisition, administration and disposal holding register then it could get you into trouble if/when you get an inspection.

Alpacas are not classified as livestock - therefore (as far as I know) no DEFRA/APHA inspections.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 08:50:24 pm »
If Lambivac isn't licensed for Alpaca, you also couldn't legally use it without a vet prescription and if you do, and you record it in your drugs acquisition, administration and disposal holding register then it could get you into trouble if/when you get an inspection.

Alpacas are not classified as livestock - therefore (as far as I know) no DEFRA/APHA inspections.

True, however a holding register is required given that there's mention of goats as the reason for the Lambivac.  If administering any drugs on the holding, it's supposed to be in the register whether for livestock or other species in order to ensure that the totals add up in terms of what was acquired, what was used and what was disposed.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2021. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS