Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholding insurance with separate buildings/contents for home  (Read 1824 times)


  • Joined Aug 2018
I've been looking for smallholding insurance. I've posted here before about it I'm sure!

Greenlands have come across as pretty reasonable in comparison to some others. Their website has an FAQ sidebar, one of which is whether home buildings and contents can be included as an extra. It says yes, but: "Please note: If your home buildings and contents are insured as part of a specialist smallholding or small farm policy, then your existing sections of cover should be appropriate. However, if they are insured separately under a standalone household policy, then you might not be covered in the event of a claim. Therefore, we recommend that you contact your current provider for clarification and/or further advice."

I am reading this as if you insure your home (building and contents) separately from the smallholding side of things (outbuildings, livestock, liabilities etc) that it might not be valid? Or would inhibit your ability to claim?

Am I getting the wrong end of the stick? If I add their home insurance on to the smallholding insurance as an extra the price is pretty high; much higher than if I go for a separate provider, so I don't really want to do that.


  • Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: Smallholding insurance with separate buildings/contents for home
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 01:33:26 pm »
There have been a few suggestions here as to who offers smallholding insurance. My main concern was public liability in relation to livestock which regular household insurance does not cover. I had difficulty getting an adequate response from insurers purporting to offer a separate standalone policy. In the end I went with the NFU which included house and contents cover. Possibly more expensive but Iím comfortable now that the nagging concern at the back of my mind had been dealt with.


  • Joined Aug 2018
Re: Smallholding insurance with separate buildings/contents for home
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 11:43:02 am »
Well to follow up it seems many of the average insurers won't insure a property with land. Kind of confusing as a property is a property wherever it is; it's still made out of the same stuff. So the search continues...


  • Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Smallholding insurance with separate buildings/contents for home
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 05:25:08 pm »
NFU does it all in one package - what's the problem?


  • Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Smallholding insurance with separate buildings/contents for home
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 02:52:06 pm »
Go with a specialist insurer - if they dont send someone out to visit the property in order to give you a quote - then your going to get the wrong insurance.


Offgrid buildings/contents insurance?

Started by ricardodba (22.93)

Replies: 6
Views: 2637
Last post January 07, 2016, 06:25:37 pm
by bazzais
Land & Buildings Transaction Tax (SDLT) on a Smallholding

Started by toquark (12.31)

Replies: 2
Views: 1580
Last post September 05, 2019, 11:33:05 am
by doganjo
Smallholding insurance

Started by Stellan Vert (11.05)

Replies: 12
Views: 9783
Last post September 28, 2013, 07:19:22 pm
by littleacorn
Planning permission for a mobile home on our smallholding

Started by reddragonsanna (9.3)

Replies: 5
Views: 6624
Last post June 29, 2016, 09:24:04 pm
by greenbeast
Reclaiming VAT on new buildings

Started by AndrewMawson (7.89)

Replies: 5
Views: 2224
Last post July 04, 2017, 06:34:52 pm
by bazzais

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2023. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS