Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 183194 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: bird flu
« Reply #420 on: January 10, 2017, 12:33:38 pm »
Just saying yesterday, how many LBJ's die without us knowing?  Not feeling well, sit hunched under a tuft of grass / shrubby stuff and just die there.
Don't have many wild birds round here, but now watching / monitoring them on bird feeder.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #421 on: January 10, 2017, 01:14:11 pm »
We're surrounded by pheasant shoots here, they are constantly in my garden, it seems rather pointless to me , keeping my hens in, to prevent further spread of disease, when they are still wandering everywhere.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #422 on: January 10, 2017, 01:32:08 pm »
We're surrounded by pheasant shoots here, they are constantly in my garden, it seems rather pointless to me , keeping my hens in, to prevent further spread of disease, when they are still wandering everywhere.

Isn't this the crux of the problem? You can lock your birds in but there are millions of birds out there coming to you and all you can do is disinfect every time you go in and out of your chickens.

I would like an explanation of why DEFRA are so little interested in the “other species” as in :- “... if ... the general public find dead wild waterfowl (swans, geese or ducks) or gulls, or five or more dead wild birds of other species in the same location, they should report them ”

Well,  all 15 million blackbirds in the UK could die over the course of a week and I doubt you would find 5 or more dead in “one location”. So do DEFRA know (or have good reason to believe) that such species are not prone to the virus or do thay not want the expense of checking on loads of dead dickies sent in by Joe Public, or what???

They are targeting the main carriers because whilst they are wasting time testing every dead bird that someone finds they would be taking their eye off the key players. I am sure they get calls about all species.

Their main objective is to stop the major cull of large numbers of commercial flocks which they pay compensation for. Those birds who die of disease because they have been kept inside for weeks in less than ideal conditions because people are doing their best with what they have wont be compensated.

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2017, 02:16:35 pm »

Their main objective is to stop the major cull of large numbers of commercial flocks which they pay compensation for.
You obviously missed my earlier post on this:-

"Owners are not entitled to compensation following the declaration of the Prevention Zone."
See:-
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #424 on: January 10, 2017, 02:51:07 pm »
[Those birds who die of disease because they have been kept inside for weeks in less than ideal conditions because people are doing their best with what they have

That's just nonsense. Less than ideal does not mean certain disease and death!!
The order has been in place for many weeks, no more excuses for not taking the necessary steps, building extra runs etc.

Anyone who honestly didn't have another option in order to comply with the order[/size] [/size]than to keep their birds in such condition that they die of diseases within weeks should have found them another home or dealth with them.
[/font]

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #425 on: January 10, 2017, 03:23:29 pm »

Their main objective is to stop the major cull of large numbers of commercial flocks which they pay compensation for.
You obviously missed my earlier post on this:-

"Owners are not entitled to compensation following the declaration of the Prevention Zone."
See:-
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu

What this means is that any extra costs associated with the implementation of the requirements of the prevention zone e.g. feed, bedding and materials will not be compensated. It does not mean that there would not be compensation for animals culled.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #426 on: January 10, 2017, 03:31:00 pm »
They are targeting the main carriers because whilst they are wasting time testing every dead bird that someone finds they would be taking their eye off the key players. I am sure they get calls about all species.

Actually DEFRA aren't doing the surveying at all - they are relying on 5 voluntary organisations to do the patrols  and 90% of these patrols (136 out of 151 in the report linked below) are conducted by the Wildlife and Wetlands Trust - small wonder then that it is wetland species that appear to be the  "main carriers"  see:-
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/573761/pub-survrep-w0316.pdf

While they may get calls about other species I doubt any of those callers can reach the threshold of 5 dead birds needed to trigger an investigation. So, as a piece of science their survey as far as the 'other species' is concerned is a complete piece of rubbish.
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #427 on: January 10, 2017, 03:54:13 pm »
We are in the same position Celli.

If, god forbid, we are at any point placed in a protection zone, I think they are not allowed to release game birds.

Now that would cause some trouble, me thinks!  :stir:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #428 on: January 10, 2017, 05:21:36 pm »
I am getting really stressed and frustrated with this. My girls are in their (reasonable size) pens. Food and water in the coops. The duck farm up the way started burning lots of stuff off just after this was announced. As a result i now have loads of rats. I know that if i put the girls in th polytunnel the rats will be digging in overnight even if i put all the feed away. They will shortly be followed by the foxes who have been neutered by the RSPCA and released in our area. Can you imagine the carnage? We also have numerous shoots in the area and are surrounded by game. Finally we are close to the river and the whole area (known as the Isle of Axholme) is criscrossed by dykes and drain that support water birds. Roll on March

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #429 on: January 10, 2017, 06:50:23 pm »
[Those birds who die of disease because they have been kept inside for weeks in less than ideal conditions because people are doing their best with what they have

The order has been in place for many weeks, no more excuses for not taking the necessary steps, building extra runs etc.

Anyone who honestly didn't have another option in order to comply with the orderthan to keep their birds in such condition that they die of diseases within weeks should have found them another home or dealth with them.

I don't know why you feel the need to be so aggressive.

Most people who have chickens and ducks keep them reasonably free ranging and house overnight. They are not set up to house continually for days on end. I am not suggesting anyone should keep their birds in such a way that they die of disease but I think ventilation will be a major problem for a lot of chicken houses and clearly people are having problems. That is not a judgement on whether people are complying or not.

Housing in small spaces spreads disease in all animals and that is a fact. So, yes I am sure some people will have to make some hard decisions.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #430 on: January 10, 2017, 08:01:58 pm »

Anyone who honestly didn't have another option in order to comply with the orderthan to keep their birds in such condition that they die of diseases within weeks should have found them another home or dealth with them.

Most people who have chickens and ducks keep them reasonably free ranging and house overnight. They are not set up to house continually for days on end. I am not suggesting anyone should keep their birds in such a way that they die of disease but I think ventilation will be a major problem for a lot of chicken houses and clearly people are having problems. That is not a judgement on whether people are complying or not.

Housing in small spaces spreads disease in all animals and that is a fact. So, yes I am sure some people will have to make some hard decisions.

Must be some sort of record- 29 pages of a thread till it turns a bit tetchy  :coat: :coat:
I haven't said anything but have followed everyone's trials and tribulations and opinions with my usual fascination.
Bottom line, its a pain in the bum. its inconvenient, its annoying and its made even more annoying by regular sightings of larger farm based flocks still out all over the place.
and no it isn't income threatening to us, and no I haven't dobbed anyone in, I just like to whinge, and it will end in a few weeks and we didn't all get wiped out, and nor did our hens, and we didnt experience the Armageddon that was threatened- just like swine flu, and previous bird flus and lots of other crisis that never ultimately come to a massive amount.
but we're good citizens and do what we're told, despite not having much faith that its gonna make a jot of difference in the whole scheme of things- and its just defra having to do something however pointless it might actually be
but TAS for me is lots of things, and one of them is a place to moan
its cost us money. and its miserable and my OH cried with cold the soaking wet day we spent putting all the netting up. and our newly arrived bats (2 days before the prevention zone- wish we'd seen it coming) spent 18 months in misery and now we've "rescued" them for something not a whole lot better. our chooks spend much of the winter out in the veg patch clearing up the slugs and nastys but instead are confined to the same piece of muddy ground being thrown lettuces and other greenery to try to appease them- they've started pecking each other so plenty of feather pecking spray being squirted-

so yes its rubbish and we are worried about our precious girls- but we're doing our best and we do know its only our hobby and not that important- but it is to us

larrylamb

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #431 on: January 10, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »
Hi everyone don't all jump on me but I had not heard about the bird flu and about keeping poultry in until last night about a month ago I heard a headline on the news and thought not again I have hens ducks geese and 3 rhea I can put runs on my sheds that's my job in the morning but what are you to do about the rheas they have never been housed you are supposed to feed them without birds getting at there feed and water but how.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #432 on: January 10, 2017, 09:29:53 pm »

There's nothing agressive about simply stating that what you wrote is nonsense. You just don't like hearing it, tough.
Case closed for me.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #433 on: January 10, 2017, 09:34:28 pm »
Hi everyone don't all jump on me but I had not heard about the bird flu and about keeping poultry in until last night about a month ago I heard a headline on the news and thought not again I have hens ducks geese and 3 rhea I can put runs on my sheds that's my job in the morning but what are you to do about the rheas they have never been housed you are supposed to feed them without birds getting at there feed and water but how.

Larrylamb, I bet loads of people haven't heard of it, that's one of our issues with Defra - their communication has been appalling. So we won't jump on you  ;)

I don't know anything about rhea, how are they usually fed - do they graze or do you feed them out of a bucket? Can you put something up with a few pallets and a simple cover and put water troughs under there? Do they have a shelter you could feed them in? The main thing is to stop bird droppings falling in their water and feed.

larrylamb

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #434 on: January 10, 2017, 09:47:21 pm »
My rheas feed from a container on a hen house so they don't have to bend down they are fed pellets the water is in a bucket a open bucket they never use shelter they are out 24 7 in all weather

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS