Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching a goose egg??  (Read 3693 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Hatching a goose egg??
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:04:37 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering how easy it is to hatch a goose egg. Am I being completing stupid in thinking a goose egg which has been in the fridge for 3 weeks will never hatch. In the early hours of this morning I lost my two lovely geese to a fox attack. I have had them 5 years with no problems and they live outside 24/7 and we're never locked away at night. They had a large pond which they would normally sit on.

Anyway my goose had laid a few eggs so far this year and I still have one left. I know it will be fertile a they both, even though they came from different places have had offspring.

Does the fertility of the egg die, if it is placed in the fridge, or does it just halt the growing process.

Apologies if I am asking a stupid question.

Thanks for reading

Emily

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Hatching a goose egg??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 01:24:15 pm »
I think 3 weeks, even in a fridge, may be pushing it a bit, but mainly it would have needed turning regular, but depending on how you were planning on incubating it, what have you got to lose?  If it's one of their offspring you are wanting I'd give it a go.
When they are laying I suppose it could be a couple of weeks before 1st egg and starting to sit.
But you would be best getting some more as well, if it did hatch, not fair for it to be on its own.
Good luck
Sorry to hear about your geese, mine are fastened in every night,  did forget some last night, luckily all OK.
Had them attacked twice in daylight, luckily we saw wing flapping and saved them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:27:15 pm by penninehillbilly »

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Hatching a goose egg??
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 06:28:22 pm »
Pushing it, but not impossible would be my guess. Sorry about the parents

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS