Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whats killing my sheep?  (Read 28341 times)

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Whats killing my sheep?
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2015, 08:47:01 pm »
I saw a dead wallaby on the roadside near Stocksbridge once, was told they live on the moors up their!

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2015, 09:01:17 pm »
We had a couple of similar deaths. That was our old stallion that dispatched them and a fox that stripped them.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2015, 09:49:46 pm »
We have wallabies in Haldon Forest a few miles away. Few people have seen them though, most are too noisy.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2015, 11:19:44 pm »
Their are two horses sharing the land with my sheep at the moment - you stay stalion? A kick to the head was it? Doesnt explain the marks on the neck, but they could be post death. makes me think, I did see them chasing the sheep last week.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2015, 11:37:00 pm »
Ah. . . . . you didn't mention the horses! Ive had a sheep picked up by a horse (with its teeth) and pummelled into the ground, and had plenty run over, kicked and chased about.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2015, 01:27:30 am »
for clarrity, the intact carcase was in the field where a pony and horse are currently grazing, the stripped carcase was in the lower field the horses have never had access to - hmm

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2015, 01:59:58 am »
The plot thickens or is that 'becomes clearer'
had a goose killed by a horse in our field.

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2015, 03:35:30 am »
The stripped carcase was obviously drugged from one field to the other by wild animals such as foxes and wild dogs
James

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2015, 07:53:11 am »
Saw a shetland gelding picked off the ground by the neck and then pushed into the ground by another horse once - innocuous enough, sadly there was a farm implement of some kind there and he lost an eye

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2015, 08:21:21 am »
Our old stallion used to throw them around. He would toss them again and again and then pretty much disembowel them when they died, hence why he had to be moved on.

Our others get on well with the sheep but even then we have lost a couple to trampling over the years. With such a massive weight difference between them, even a non aggressive action can result in fatality.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2015, 08:33:44 am »
I did see them chasing the sheep last week.

Facts Watson give me facts  :idea:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2015, 07:40:11 pm »
our mule tramples dogs, and for that reason never has access to our goats. she taught our highland pony to do the same, and she is just as deadly as she is so big, clumsy and silly. we cant walk the dogs amongst these two without a stick so can definitely believe they could potentially kill a sheep.
our stallion did however trample a sow - who incidentally was in season and was following him all day.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2015, 09:00:22 pm »
But the puncture wounds to the neck..?

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2015, 10:11:04 pm »
Some twisted sicko?

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2015, 09:44:32 am »
telling whether it was before or after the animal is killed is hard - could something of been dragging them to somewhere for lunch? I just cant tell without seeing the kill!

personally I've come down on the following two scenarios ;

1) Animals killed by large dog coming off the road, either left in situ or dragged abit, one in the open eaten partially by animals etc and red kite (counted 4 circling a rabbit on the road yesterday so not impossible they stripped it), the lamb near the horses was left as no scavengers wanted to disturb it, too open, exposed and near big animals, one or two tried to drag it hence bite marks, but were un able to move it.

2) Un known death of stripped animal, same fate as above, and animal in field with horse was killed by horse hoof contact and it was just a co-incidence they happened together.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS