Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whats killing my sheep?  (Read 28344 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Whats killing my sheep?
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2015, 01:53:21 am »
Presume everything has been OK since? hope the rest of the sheep have settled down again.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2015, 03:15:13 am »
animals were moved to rented land at a neighbours as a precaution and nothing untoward since, apart from a ram getting in and covering god knows what and when.

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2015, 07:15:48 am »
Your first pic is not doubt a wild dog like animal as they such as wolves go for the head and throat area when they kill sheep or small prey house dogs that people let roam free will chase the sheep for sport and play and make a kill but rarely ever eat anything they most always bite at he rear of the animal pull out wool and leave bite marks on the hindquarters of the animal the house dogs gang up in packs and their peers never no it unless some knows the dog and owner their at the hose at night on the porch and gone during the day or vise versa and their owners never know you gonna have to get you a gun and light and stay one nite and one one day out there in this field till you get it that is all you can do other than keep feeding it your choice not a  hard one for me.  James
James

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2015, 12:09:40 pm »
Yer because we are crawling with wolves . . . . .

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2015, 12:37:52 pm »
I think JTF is from across the pond?
Always interesting to hear from over there though  :)

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2015, 09:10:11 pm »
small update today, in the otherwise empty field, nothing in it now for 4 days - Big steamy dog poop, fresh near the gate between top and bottom fields (so dog has crossed a paddock from the road) - this leads to nowhere but another field, albeit with a lovely view - Trail cam to go up and an eye to stay open.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2015, 12:33:30 am »
Aye. . . . . thats the thing. It generally IS the obvious answer!

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2015, 08:50:08 am »
and it wasnt a small dog either judging by this poo.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2015, 08:54:30 am »
Maybe it was a Chihuahua, but had just eaten a whole sheep

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2015, 01:29:31 pm »
Isn't it a pity you can't get a gun attached to a camera which can be controlled from anywhere, so then you could shoot the dog in question. Has anyone around where you are, ideally nearest to your land, have any big dogs? Did you talk to the authorities? I would suggest finding the owner, if possible, and bill them for the sheep and request they have their dog put down. It is irresponsibility to leave a dog permanently on the loose. Are you able to get DNA tests done on dog poop, or any poop for example?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:31:04 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2015, 04:38:52 pm »
Now I am all for protecting your livestock and shooting dogs that attack sheep but how would you know it was that dog. Is it permanently on the loose? How do you know that? Just cos the owner didn't poop how do you know it wasn't with someone and on a lead? Trail cam a good idea. Good evidence needed!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2015, 04:43:18 pm »
Exactly...  :innocent:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2015, 05:41:11 pm »
I don't know why my reply hasn't come out but WBF whilst I am all for shooting sheep worriers you need to be certain you are shooting the right dog. Just cos the owner didn't poop you can't be sure that the dog poop belonged to a loose dog.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2015, 07:36:27 pm »
well the poop was a trespassing poop so thats bad enough!
No footpaths for half a mile.

The nearest neighbour has a dog, but its certainly not that, its well kept and broken to sheep. If I see a dog worrying my sheep, I would naturally deal with in line with the law, as best and as swiftly as I could depending on the circumstances at the time. The issue is being their when it happens.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2015, 08:18:19 pm »
you can't be sure that the dog poop belonged to a loose dog.

As long as it wasn't a loose poop belonging to a dog (sorry to lower the tone  ;) )
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS