Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 312466 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1125 on: July 04, 2018, 06:51:15 pm »
Thanks for that SD , I got caught on CCTV falling over , my stick when flying ! and the following day I was last in the fore drill evacuation. Interview with coffee 8am.
Disability assessment arranged months ago 10am , took over an hour out of the day and told me what I already knew, on the upside I wasted the rest of the day lounging by the pool and taking the occasion dip

( yes I know it a 10ft paddling pool, But its still a pool !!  2700 ltrs )

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1126 on: July 05, 2018, 10:42:10 pm »
Well I hope the rest of you hay makers are having similar good luck this year .
I have just seen the last of the hay baled, normally euphoric at this juncture ,but just pleased , I was permitted to make the last bale , just to say I had done some of it !
I'm extremely grateful to the old boys for their hard work.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1127 on: July 06, 2018, 06:09:25 am »
After a few sleepless nights I went to the dentist.  Small cavity but suspected vertical fracture of the tooth.  As only 75% sure about the fracture I was patched up with a filling and sent home.  After a better sleepless night - too many pillows as told it would help - I am trying to decide whether to go back and have the tooth removed.  It does not hurt at the moment!

Tomorrow I drive to the other side of the country after a ram and next week I have three days at the Great Yorkshire Show.  If the tooth needs out am I better waiting a week?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #1128 on: July 06, 2018, 10:47:13 am »
my "get dragged along " pedestrian cutter

Tell me more please, [member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member] ?  We have several areas a tractor can't navigate with long grass that's too long for the cattle, and I'd love to mow it, dry it and store it rather than flail it and leave it as mulch.  We do have a scythe and I enjoy scything, but a pull-along pedestrian mower sounds interesting...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
« Reply #1129 on: July 06, 2018, 11:33:48 am »
Today i've been reading all the news about the situation for swedish farmers, one farmer has been forced to give away 68 pigs due to these two years of drought. So a lot of new smallholders in this country, so something good came out of this mess I guess. It's getting so bad here that we might be forced to ask for help from the EU.
Thank good I only have poultry and that i'm not registered as ecological (then I would be forced to produce the feed myself).

Noticed that there is no activity here today, are you all to nervous about getting your asses kicked in tomorrows game against us?  ;)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1130 on: July 06, 2018, 02:04:53 pm »
my "get dragged along " pedestrian cutter

Tell me more please, [member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member] ?  We have several areas a tractor can't navigate with long grass that's too long for the cattle, and I'd love to mow it, dry it and store it rather than flail it and leave it as mulch.  We do have a scythe and I enjoy scything, but a pull-along pedestrian mower sounds interesting...

This is what I have  https://www.chipperfield.co.uk/mtd-bm-87-35-scythe.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxqKok8SK3AIVk4XVCh1phgJ1EAQYASABEgKBfPD_BwE#   
It goes at a reasonable walking pace , easy starter and easy to maintain and has already done a lot of work.

Edited to add I modified the skids on the cutter bar to allow a higher cut and avoid running the cutter into the uneven bits of ground
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:08:02 pm by Rupert the bear »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #1131 on: July 06, 2018, 03:11:06 pm »
Interesting...  We do have an old Allen scythe here and plan to get it working one day :/.  Not sure I can bear to spend nearly £900 on the modern equivalent when we've kind of got one already.  I guess I better plan to use our new Austrian scythe for an hour a day until it's done.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1132 on: July 10, 2018, 11:06:56 pm »
The hay safely under cover  :excited: got bored so I built a wood chipper from a crate of parts ( as you do ), changed johnnie foreigners dodgy nuts and bolts for nice shiny stainless steel ones , tomorrow I'll turn the key and see if it starts  :) 

Tux

• Joined Jun 2018
  • Gwent
« Reply #1133 on: July 13, 2018, 06:56:10 am »
More of a "these past few weeks we have been mainly"  :farmer:

Learning how to drive a tractor and taking advantage of the weather to hay about 30 acres (at least half of which is of dubious quality where the land has been let go).

Putting hay in every outbuilding with a roof.

Ferrying water jacks to two thirsty horses and building a Bear Grylls style water filter to supplement their water from the adjacent natural pond (well, this hasn't been done yet but it's on the weekend to do list)!

Dog proofing the old sheep chute and pens so we don't lose the daft buggers while we're mucking about, and starting to clear over a foot of deep litter from said pens.

Playing 'whose sheep is that' and contemplating spending a weekend with a map to find all the fences and dry stone walls to be repaired across 70 odd acres.

Losing a boot in a different pond while chasing my "failed" sheepdog who decided he was actually going to be a sheepdog and disappeared from the hay field before returning with a pissed off sheep - not in his mouth I might add, thank god - giving hubby's uncle who owns said sheep to have a new funny to tell his mates down the pub.

Shopping for a new 4x4 which we can't afford as a Freelander just ain't cutting the mustard (no surprise there) - suggestions welcome!

Revising for my Veterinary Nursing Assistant anatomy and physiology exams in between shovelling deep litter, finding old feed sacks with well rotted dead sheep in (oh the smell!!) while playing 'guess the bone' and swatting away a pair of nosey collies... Sadly the exam was mainly soft tissue so guess the bone wasn't too helpful there...

Contemplating the logistics of getting a static caravan to a location so remote it has zero mains services and is so high up that it has a lightning rod. I've found a company who claims to be able to transport any static to any remote location in the EU, but I'm struggling to see how they'd manage the switchbacks on a mountain that a landrover needs a three point turn to navigate!

Feeling very proud of the hubby who's been stuck in a rut and depressed for a good few years and used his PS4 as an escape mechanism. He loved this farm when he was a kid and he's really throwing himself into getting it back up and running again, alongside his surviving uncle who's teaching us all the ins and outs. I've noticed a real difference in him these past few weeks and he's been talking about moving up there, hence looking into statics. I think the winter will be the deciding factor there but he DID say that if we built our own house that I could have the log fire I've always wanted... I'll ask him again when his feet are made of chilblains and he can't feel his fingers  ;D

Animal minds are simple, and therefore sharp. Animals never spend time dividing experience into little bits and speculating about all the bits they've missed. The whole panoply of the universe has been neatly expressed to them as things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1134 on: July 13, 2018, 07:47:13 am »
I have just had an enjoyable, though expensive, three days at the Great Yorkshire Show.  Impulse buy of a metalic spotted cowhide for the sofa bed.  Now to find a home for the boring longhorn cowhide it is replacing.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1135 on: July 13, 2018, 08:03:34 pm »
Bottled the elderberry wine, first honey arrived to make more mead.
Watched the swallows bathing in the puddle in the yard, 21 of them,what a noise !

Koojie

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #1136 on: July 13, 2018, 11:41:10 pm »
Today I bought a windscreen reflector to stop the steering wheel getting hot.  It was like saying bring on the rain now!  Then I went to see my chickens while watching thunderstorms in the distance while sitting in the sunny patch.  I don't like thunderstorms so legged it home after a short while in case I got caught in the next one!  I think the sun screen is just as good at summoning the rain as getting the car washed.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #1137 on: July 26, 2018, 05:24:29 pm »
weeding around the runner beans, they have shot up huge :) Busy with a difficult buffalo calf also, but I will prevail :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #1138 on: July 26, 2018, 06:09:32 pm »
Today I are mostly putting up electric fencing in a thunderstorm  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1139 on: July 26, 2018, 09:31:33 pm »
Today I are mostly putting up electric fencing in a thunderstorm  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Brave man

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS