Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 331907 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #1110 on: May 26, 2018, 09:19:44 pm »
Fencing.  I now have a track aroung the outside of one of the hayfields for the equines to enjoy, all done with electric.  Another permanent fence is tacked in place - the gateposts, strainers and fenceposts are all in place with the sheep netting only having the top wire stapled so far.  Tomorrow all the rest of the staples get hammered in, gates will be hung and top rails added to the fence.  This is the last cross fence to do on the property.  There is only boundary fences to redo now but nearly ? of mile to be done, hopefully this year.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #1111 on: May 26, 2018, 10:57:48 pm »
coming back on train from family up north, been on holiday for 5 days haha. Feels longer   :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #1112 on: May 27, 2018, 12:33:42 am »
Dagging.  That is all  ;D .

[member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member] , one top tip for trail cam photos at night - if you find that the photos look over-exposed, particularly at short range, try a piece of fabric over the IR LEDs (i have a ring of vetrap which works perfectly). It just helps to reduce the intensity of the flash a little  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1113 on: May 27, 2018, 02:14:26 am »
Dagging.  That is all  ;D .

[member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member] , one top tip for trail cam photos at night - if you find that the photos look over-exposed, particularly at short range, try a piece of fabric over the IR LEDs (i have a ring of vetrap which works perfectly). It just helps to reduce the intensity of the flash a little  :thumbsup: .
I'm finding that the mist leaves condensation on the lens, I am told that Rain x will solve that , to be tried.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1114 on: May 27, 2018, 01:39:00 pm »
Been a long day, I've had enough for now so its home made banana flavour ice cream, I'm going to sit in the sun, relax and watch the goats and birds at play.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1115 on: June 01, 2018, 09:41:04 pm »
Deeply upset.
The magpies have been through all the swallows nests, only 3 eggs left.
2 magpies and a hooded crow had suffered lead poisoning this evening.
An early start tomorrow, before first light to get set up, bad enough when they stole the hens eggs, but this is too far

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1116 on: June 02, 2018, 09:53:57 pm »
Waiting.........
02:30 magpie takes decoy egg. and under the covers I go , not a long wait as the known swallow egg thief appears at the steading door , PTS , and back to waiting , no one comes to look at the body . A couple of hours pass and I'm joined by the male cat trying to blow my cover , he is encouraged to "go away". A crow is at the chickens coop, I catch him in the act,I wonder what was going through his mind at the time ?
06:15 I'm settled down under the cover with an excellent view of the yard and the  birds singing and doing bird stuff is most pleasant , until casually walking across my field of view is the aforementioned cat
with a freshly caught and sadly deceased swallow  >:(    silent words said.
I remain hidden until 11:00 and the desire for the toilet, cup of tea and toast bets the better of me.
Well two down, see what tomorrow brings.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1117 on: June 03, 2018, 07:24:03 am »
It sounds like you could do with a larson trap, unless you love sitting in wait.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1118 on: June 03, 2018, 08:05:08 am »
I have a larson trap , it works well(new springs this year ) , I don't count the victims of that as they have "given themselves up" ! Its the ones that are more savvy and avoid the trap that I lie in wait for

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #1119 on: June 03, 2018, 04:45:56 pm »
aww guys really sorry to hear all this  :hug: :hug: Hope things get better soon!

Currently sorting out gardens and buildings ready for calving to commence :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #1120 on: June 03, 2018, 05:45:47 pm »
Shearing seven Soay with a pair of dressmaking scissors.
Hetavac given and crovect applied.

You'd think they would be grateful to be rid of that fleece in this hot weather but were they heck!

Welsh rarebit  for lunch and a lie down needed now!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1121 on: June 28, 2018, 07:50:57 pm »
Today I watched my hay parks getting cut by men older and fitter than myself , they will turn and make the hay as well. this is awful not being able to take part , very much mixed emotions having done it for decades myself, it seems rather odd.  :'(

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #1122 on: June 29, 2018, 06:33:57 am »
It is hard having to let the hay fairies do the work for you.  No doubt you have been a hay fairy, or other fairy, to others in your time.  Try not to fret on has beens.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1123 on: June 29, 2018, 10:38:09 am »
I walked out in to the park this morning with this weather it looks like it will very good stuff this year.years ago I used to see the old farm hands stop and watch me making hay, with the occasional comments and advice.
W
ell I've become one of them now.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #1124 on: July 04, 2018, 02:05:10 pm »
Been for a mobility assessment, bad news is good news or is it good news is bad news, I'm not sure.
Work have placed me on gardening leave today until they can locate a job for me within the company that I can do , target of end of August or else....
Not really happy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS