Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 312393 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #930 on: June 25, 2017, 08:36:22 pm »
Had a new bull calf born, so really chuffed! :) Sorted out some sheep for market tomorrow.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #931 on: June 25, 2017, 09:34:11 pm »
Whilst still on the matter of swallows and insects, I have just come in finally for the evening, the mozzies are blanketing anyone out side , but it is quite exhilarating to have older and bolder swallows pick the wee beasties off you ( just not quick enough , bitten to pieces )

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #932 on: June 27, 2017, 03:48:58 pm »
Chasing the escaping volts from the electric fence , eventually found the short , a plastic insulator had worn through to the metal screw ! I will now fit a waterproof switch next to the fencer, Its a long long way to the mains switch, a very long way.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #933 on: June 27, 2017, 06:06:23 pm »
Got some bakming done, with all these eggs finally coming through can't cope  ;D Gatdening was mean't to be done today, but rain has been off and onish all day, so instead stayed indoors and watched a 1930's film on iplayer. Anyone remember watching ''A Love Affair'' ? brilliant :) Sorted out a little calf with a stomach upset, poor thing. Prepping for tomorrow, dad and mum are staying away for 2 days, so really nervous about that, especially as we have an animal due to calve within that time...
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #934 on: June 27, 2017, 11:25:28 pm »
Celebrating 19 years of marriage to my lovely OH.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #935 on: June 28, 2017, 11:19:43 am »
Getting wet.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #936 on: June 28, 2017, 10:05:00 pm »
Making haylage,
 the weather for Aberdeenshire perfect, sun and a breeze , get the mini round baler out,and hitch it up safe in the knowledge that it was put away cleaned and greased up ready at a moments notice. And so with the tractor fueled up  off I jolly well go to the hay field.
I line up and away I go at a decent speed, the grass feeds in perfectly and the first bale of the year is made , I pull the string for the net wrap to feed in and it keeps feeding in ! Oh bugger get off tractor and after a few checks to my utmost shame I discover that I had failed the protect the cutting knives, they have rusted and no longer sharp enough to cut the net.
Now according to the workshop book these are not designed for resharpening but replacement only, My ever so helpful dealer tells me the mounting bar need to come out and new blades riveted back in, blades are  available from Italy !.
Well I improvise and adapt ( and some of you ,you know who you are  will laugh ) after every bale is formed I feed in the net then turn off the tractor get the scissors cut the net the start up to chuck out the bale...
This is time consuming, exceedingly time consuming , finally I bale a decent amount and have wrapped it before the rain arrives . I am knackered and my knees have given up the ghost.
Time for bed and drugs !!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:33:36 pm by Rupert the bear »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #937 on: June 29, 2017, 12:30:34 am »
Hope you feel better tomoz! [member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member] 
Had a heifer calf born this morning, seperate bull calf from his mom. Treated a little week old calf for stomach upset. Just going to feed lambs, tidy kitchen and I'll be in bed having 40 winks :D parents are away these 2 days, so housecleaning falls to me, let's hope I am up to the job... Already scrubbed kitchen once, hallway, stairs, study, lounge and toilets cleaned until shining, just got to keep it this way until tomorrow night! ::)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #938 on: June 29, 2017, 09:56:10 pm »
Yes, I'm mad .
Spent the morning under the mini round baler ,( you know the one with non resharpenable knives) , with some of Mrs RTB's nail boards in an attempt to put some sort of edge on them, I am not a contortionist, but eventually got them a little better.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #939 on: June 30, 2017, 12:26:11 pm »
trying to sell calves/sheep. Nightmare and is taking all my self confidence away.... I tell you if anyone else comes to me and asks if they can buy one to breed with their cows I will scream!  :rant: Managed to do a few things around farm. Think amma come offline for a few days to rest my nerves.
Have a good one guys!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #940 on: July 01, 2017, 10:09:20 pm »
Having a wonderful time at The Wool Experience in Cheshire. Lots of woolly things to look at and crafty people to talk to. Fleeces to die for (or should I say dye for) and good food and wonderful ice cream.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #941 on: July 02, 2017, 06:31:29 am »
Pottering. After several frantic months of far too much to do and far too much xxxx hitting the fan at last there is an apparent lull in the mayhem. So picking raspberries, get on the horse for the first time in ages. Sit around drinking wine. Look at the sheep. Look at the goats. Tickle the piglets.

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #942 on: July 02, 2017, 04:46:57 pm »
Recovering from Doune and Dunblane show

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #943 on: July 02, 2017, 10:51:36 pm »
De-glazing and moving a greenhouse, up the ladder, down the ladder ,rest, up, th...
Take daily wafarin dose after all glass moved !! To damp for haylage , maybe to morrow  :fc:

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #944 on: July 03, 2017, 11:45:58 am »
nursing the sunburn from yesterday  :sunshine:

I have been working on a potato bed where you add more and more soil to build it upwards. It is mostly an experiment to see how many potatoes I can grow in about 50cm square area. :spud:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS