Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 312478 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #900 on: June 03, 2017, 10:56:47 pm »
Wondering, just wondering about knees, haymaking, work, the meaning of life and why I have more left socks than right ones. Oh and wondering why the dogs have lots of right socks in their bed , I suppose I'll never know ,one of those great mysteries of life.....

How can you tell which is left and which is right?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #901 on: June 03, 2017, 10:58:32 pm »
A beautiful day.. Loads to do in the garden, and I had volunteered to man an information stall for Samaritans at a Volunteers event. One the way home, thinking I could fit a couple of hours in, it started to rain.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #902 on: June 04, 2017, 06:27:28 am »
Wondering, just wondering about knees, haymaking, work, the meaning of life and why I have more left socks than right ones. Oh and wondering why the dogs have lots of right socks in their bed , I suppose I'll never know ,one of those great mysteries of life.....

I've wondered about that too     ;)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #903 on: June 04, 2017, 06:55:23 am »

The answer is obvious Rupert must put his left sock on first hence it is the right ones which are missing.

I've wondered about that too     ;)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #904 on: June 04, 2017, 07:25:11 am »
You are of course assuming that I am allowed to dress myself  :innocent:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #905 on: June 04, 2017, 08:38:50 am »
Getting everything prepped for shearing this afternoon. Lads have just gone to help and friend shear, afterwards the shearers will come here, to do our flock of 70 ewes. Busy thirsty work ahead, but it needs to be done. Maybe if I have time later I will pick more elderflowers for cordial, trees are fit to bursting ATM. Thankfully I put mutton fillet in the slow cooker, making dinner after all this would not be wise. Have a good one guys! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #906 on: June 06, 2017, 08:29:40 am »
Starting to feel the end is nigh as my homebred stallion went away yesterday - on loan for a year or more but possibly long term/permanently. 

Spent half of the day waiting for transport to arrive, 10 minutes catching, loading and speaking to the folk, dashed off to buy compensation lunch for the person I had been meant to go a walk with (she ended up paying all but the coffee).  Then moved all the remaining ponies to the next field rotation, dashed from one to another for a while to ensure they'd all settled.  Got wet several times over..

Had a meeting with a Scottish Power rep about turning the wayleave into a servitude (posting on that separately).  Got all the chooks in between showers that were torrential, and found the last straggler an hour later.

Postponed delivery of cockerel to his new home which was also supposed to happen, but it already feels very quiet around here with the main man missing.  Had reports and photos of safe arrival and the field he's in has a mare and foal plus a lot of grass so he's very happy.  Not sure how happy their sheep will be but I did say he'd been grazed with tups as a foal but not since, just in case..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #907 on: June 06, 2017, 01:24:05 pm »
OK, so I'm a couple of days late posting this... I spent Sunday doing the Kilt Walk in Aberdeen... all 26 miles of it for Macmillan Cancer Care.  Exhausted, bruised and blistered, I shuffled around the evening feed before heading in for a cup of tea a hot water bottle and bed.  Even the  :goat: :goat: :goat: were looking at me suspiciously as I approached with feed.

Monday I dragged myself out of bed to feed and check the livestock and then put my feet in a bowl of Epsom salts, where they stayed until lunchtime.  By tea time I hobbled back out to do the animals again before collapsing in a heap with a blanket.

This morning my legs are starting to swell and bruise, but the two blisters formerly known as my left and right foot are almost bearing weight and I only look a little like a Tennessee Walking Horse that needs a zimmer frame today...

Having said that, I'm only £66 off the £600 total I wanted to raise for Macmillan, so whilst I'm never ever going to do this again, I'm glad I did it once!
Take a like for the kilt walk ,but not the after effects,I think it would take me a week to manage 26 miles.
More to the point how Can a donation be made ?
We must be told

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #908 on: June 07, 2017, 06:36:25 am »
Did you not get a free massage from Macmillan or Kiltwalk organisers after you finished?  I may be working at the Dundee Kiltwalk for Athletes' Angels and did the Edinburgh Marathon for Macmillan via the same company.  A gentle lower back and leg massage might help get all the fluids moving in the right direction again and bring the legs back to normal mobility levels.  Blisters sadly take their own sweet time but you have my respect for the achievement.  I'd rather work an 8-9 hour shift of 15 minute massages than do the event!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #909 on: June 08, 2017, 08:28:39 am »
Well done [member=132794]Scarlet.Dragon[/member] !! Feeling very upset past 2 days, trying to think of ways to get back with a friend. Why does it hurt so much?! :'( rain hasn't stopped today, so far, so I can't help my brother's with fencing. Assessing fields for more fencing to be done. Checking sheep and youngstock and feeding/cleaning out animals.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #910 on: June 08, 2017, 09:24:09 am »
Today our first duckling has appeared so we are very excited. We don't get to admire them long as my wife and I  are going to the lake district to celebrate our first anniversary.
 :&>

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #911 on: June 15, 2017, 01:09:05 am »
Am looking after a grandson's two puppies. A 14 week old Shitzu/ pug cross and an 11 week old Border Collie/ Kelpie cross, both at the moment scuttled up between Jim and I, so peaceful and so innocent. I am savouring the time and remembering said child and his cousin scuttled up between us eighteen years ago!!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #912 on: June 15, 2017, 06:38:08 pm »
Relaxing after seperate good calves and experiencing cheap VR... A very interesting experience indeed :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #913 on: June 15, 2017, 07:29:08 pm »
Shearing!  Need a 'cream crackered' emotiwotsit  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #914 on: June 16, 2017, 09:50:22 am »
In the kitchen since 6am sticking zillions of custard creams, empire bisciuts, icing sponges, chocolating traybakes, scoring said traybakes to plate up later
and trying to fit it all back in the fridge the way it fitted before I took it out  ;D
Reason:
Doune Gala tomorrow and the 'Brownies' (well me and Brown Owl) are doing the teas

Off for a cuppa now..... I think I deserve one  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS