Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 312382 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #885 on: May 15, 2017, 10:13:53 pm »
Not what you need, WBF. Hope it's better soon.  :hug:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #886 on: May 21, 2017, 12:21:13 pm »
Awake at 7.00, well 6:45 to be exact. Fed calves their milk and the 2 pet lambs, milked the buffalo, brought in a cow with a prolapse, very minor, will need injection as it looks like urine infection. Cleaned who dairy/milking parlour, fed calves their cake/hay/water, checked all youngstock, all fine, watered plants in garden. Finished by 12:18 not bad at all! :) Now off to check sheep on other land, tailing a lamb born 3 days ago, should have done it earlier, just really busy... Going to book shearer for early next month, so building needs cleaning and sorting for that, garden is still in need of sorting too, planting out really. Off out later for more bamboo canes. Busy days ahead, on top of the fact the sun wakes me up at 6:30 every day, even if I go to bed at 2am  :tired: really must do somit.... :innocent: :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #887 on: May 21, 2017, 12:21:55 pm »
Not what you need, WBF. Hope it's better soon.  :hug:
Thanks MGM. Back is much better now :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #888 on: May 21, 2017, 05:45:30 pm »
Lying in wait for the egg stealing magpie and his co-conspirators the rook brothers. My spotter spent most of the time sleeping or purring  :cat:.
The warmth of the sun and the background soundtrack of swallows,skylarks,blackbirds and chickens larking about (see what I did there), and the other assorted tweeters and singers, quite soporific ........

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #889 on: May 22, 2017, 09:23:52 pm »
Making Halloumi from goats' milk and nipping outside to the garden in between the different stages, /courgettes now planted and weeding done.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #890 on: May 25, 2017, 06:39:07 am »
Shifted 3 ponies and a foal to new paddock, filled bath with water, checked the rest and fed every hungry mouth.  After breakfast decided to go for a bike ride to the vets (6-7 miles away) to return needles and collect meds, stopped for coffee on the way home as I'm quite wheezy from OSR flowers in sight of my land and need to go steady. 

Had a break online with paperwork and then out to dig early ragwort from around the edges of the newly empty paddock.  Still waiting for the sprayer but having my doubts as he has forgotten me already this year and tends to focus on big farms so I may be digging all season again.

Then moved the 6 week chicks (30 of them) by several trips with a cat basket, taking them off heat and outside into a new run, with a few minor adjustments to closing (banged screws in to tighten mesh!).  Had been hearing motor noise and thought my neighbour was out with the lawnmower but no it was the gardener out in the paddock with a strimmer hitting dockens which would have been great except there were now ponies (and foal) in there and I couldn't risk leaving strimmed grass/docken/nettles in case they ate it and got a reaction like lawn mowings, not sure if the action causes the same fermentation but better safe than sorry.  So stopped him politely and we raked every piece up that he'd cut, leaving an odd shaped docken patch but ponies are fine this morning so all's well.

Then got him to strim the front drive instead, which improves the front door approach/view for my massage clients, while I jumped in the shower and set up for my evening client - having spent 2 days solid at the cycling etape for Marie Curie in Pitlochry all weekend the couch was packed up and everything washed and needing put back on, but got the session done fine, had another check of all the moved ponies/chicks, fed up and lay down in a dark room with a few red patches on my shoulders from the sun and still heaving for breath like a steam train!

Then remembered I'd left a hose running to the bath in the (new) ponies' paddock so anyone passing by car was treated to me in my jammies and fake crocs stumbling and wheezing through what of course was now a tad muddy lower pen..  Cue footwashing in a basin in the bathroom and hopping about beetroot red wheezy and just about collapsed laughing at myself!  Took myself to bed, today should be quieter as no hay to drag about in sacks this morning, chicks are all fine, and coffee is being inhaled nicely!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #891 on: May 25, 2017, 10:47:17 am »
Yes yes that's all Very well, but what did you do after your morning coffee ?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #892 on: May 25, 2017, 01:20:24 pm »
Sitting in an office in the middle of Bradford staring longily at the sunshine outside  :(
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #893 on: May 25, 2017, 07:51:27 pm »
Sitting in an office in the middle of Bradford staring longily at the sunshine outside  :(

same thing, sitting in the truck tin can seeing everyone else enjoying the sun in summery cloths , not the heavy ppe I have to wear  :(
and tho add insult to injury late home .

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #894 on: May 26, 2017, 07:45:35 am »
Yes yes that's all Very well, but what did you do after your morning coffee ?

Went to gym for an ass kicking PT session to strengthen my wobbly legs and back - tho strangely after workout they felt more wobbly than less.  Still had 3 hours equipment cleaning to do for the gym this week so did that after, and on to afternoon massage clinic, then back home to realise the orchard tap that runs a length of 4 hoses to the 6 ponies in the long field is barely dribbling and not enough for them.  Dragged it back to the better tap (much unravelling of wet muddy pipe) which then refilled them fine but now needs the wee middle paddock bath refilling twice daily as I can't drip feed it off the same tap.

Then went to dig a deeper base for the orange mineral bucket that is my water trough for 6, and ended up ankle deep in mud digging a channel so it runs better into wee pools for more than one to drink.  Soaked, stinking and hairy (pony still losing winter coat and sweating in heat) came back and refilled middle bath as described, right to top.  Got all chickens back in for the night bar one - had tea, found and recovered last bl****y chicken.  Refilled bath as leaving hose lying in it had suctioned half the d*mn thing back out down the corridor paddock again.  Had a few good washes to remove stink of mud, went to fill in agricultural census and ended up on FB til bed o'clock!  Then lay awake cos lights and electronics aren't good for relaxation and pre sleep hormones..

Did the whole bath thing again this morning, both field, but no hay to drag at the mo and I've left chooks enough feed in respective hoppers to last a day as I'm going to have lunch with my sister and coffee with a pal on the way or way back depending how quick I can sort myself out..  My muscles are aching from the gym sesh and digging, dragging etc so a day of social is about right tho I'll do a barrow of ragwort when I get back if it's not too hot to stand up!

I have a bike ride with my neighbour planned tomorrow so it's bound to rain, after which it's back to ragwort digging cos the sprayer still hasn't called back and the bigger plants are beginning to grow up the way..  Oh and my strainer arrived so now I need to find someone to replace the one that falls over if the gate isn't tied up both ends..  Agri contractor around here is the sprayer that isn't returning messages, it's too wee a job for him to bother much.  Working holiday anyone? ;) 
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #895 on: May 26, 2017, 10:33:11 pm »
Most of today was spent outside in the garden. Herbs all planted up, including the ones that needed digging up from the bottom of the garden (yes, I know it's a stupid place to put herbs. I found that out last year.  :roflanim: ). Also had a friend round to make some more raised beds for me. The garden is beginning to look really good. Veg all growing well.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #896 on: May 27, 2017, 05:53:37 pm »
Killing the rushes ( yes really killing ) brush cutting with my 4 stroke German built brush cutter ( really is made in Germany ) much quieter than the old angry wasp , only lasted 14 years , repairable but a winter project.
Mowed the top paddock so it looks nice and avoids the weeds from flowering and seeding.
The head of security ,(the ginger tom) and myself are now going to sit in the evening sun and watch and listen to the birds.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:00:16 pm by Rupert the bear »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #897 on: May 27, 2017, 11:44:31 pm »
I was at a Food Festival, eating too much and buying lots of goodies. I managed to get some unusual herbs for my budding herb garden. Anyone grown Samphire?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #898 on: May 28, 2017, 12:04:55 pm »
I was at a Food Festival, eating too much and buying lots of goodies. I managed to get some unusual herbs for my budding herb garden. Anyone grown Samphire?
Don't think I have, no but will be trying it when I am sowing the herb patch...
Not much today actually, usual jobs/chores, trying to arrange a time for meeting a friend and trying to sell some sheep. :)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #899 on: June 03, 2017, 10:03:44 pm »
Wondering, just wondering about knees, haymaking, work, the meaning of life and why I have more left socks than right ones. Oh and wondering why the dogs have lots of right socks in their bed , I suppose I'll never know ,one of those great mysteries of life.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS