Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 312495 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #615 on: March 31, 2016, 04:56:34 pm »
WBF I have done CPD intermittently due to health issues, but yes you're expected to do what you can, tho it's only associations that specify how much and usually they're the providers.. ;)

I've done seated (clothed) acupressure of the kind offered in workplaces and airports, and hot stone therapy so far.  I have another to do this year which is hopefully shoulder specific conditions, and then I am looking at beginning Sports & Remedial level training in the autumn if I can afford it - I had to give up my place last September for financial reasons, but fingers crossed this will be a business from now on and support its own costs before too long!

As for what I've been up to today, major MOT failure day here, so am sat at home waiting further news on prices and more discussions with my superb mechanic about how to handle it and keep me on the road so I can actually get to my existing cleaning job aswell as the massage clients and to the vet tomorrow with one of the cats..

I did think I'd sold a pony last weekend, the buyer was 95% sure when she left and had both experience, the right attitude and superb offroad access/pasture available on a big estate where she stays.  But sadly the 5% took over and she cancelled the second viewing which was meant to be yesterday, very late on Tuesday night after I'd gone to bed.  The pony price would have covered the car repair bill so I'm doubly gutted now, tho I suppose better she doesn't buy if she isn't 100% committed to having a pony after all. 

And no, I couldn't ride the pony into town every morning and leave it at the carpark while I work!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #616 on: April 01, 2016, 12:33:01 am »
This morning was spent at my crochet class, working on a Twiddle Muff for people with dementia then I was busy getting ready for our younger daughter and three grandchildren to arrive for a few days' visit.  :excited: :excited:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #617 on: April 01, 2016, 01:06:21 pm »
Not a good day, had the vet out dealing with a prolapsed buffalo, all well and stitched up now though. This winter has been horrific! :rant: On the plus side the weather has turned for the better and i can finally get the gardens sorted, already got seedlings in trays in the conservatory. Spring here we go! :excited:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #618 on: April 01, 2016, 05:22:48 pm »
Weather here has turned cold and wet again, so having stayed in all day for a Viking order that failed to turn up, I couldn't even get outdoors to any good effect.  I did manage to run one of the cats into the vet first thing, she's got an AB jag and has to go back in 2 weeks with a view to surgery I can't really afford, and I'm still trying to work out a plan for transport the next few days til my car is sorted out and retested, looking at Wednesday if I do without it Sunday, Monday pm and Tuesday all day.  I've a lot of work hours to pack in the later half of the week then..

Oh, did get in a hay delivery today, so bagging hay about to feeders is over for another few days - the stallion field bale isn't low enough to refill yet but will be empty long before the 2 in the other field are ready.  Found the new egg stash tho, first day of their using it now the ring feeder is full again, and I caught them out - ha!
Ellie Douglas Therapist

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #619 on: April 02, 2016, 12:55:01 am »
Spent most of the day with my daughter and grandchildren. Wonderful.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #620 on: April 04, 2016, 09:34:07 am »
Wondering if I was too hasty to be cursing this rotten rain all winter.

We don't scan the herdwicks and so far have been gifted with a 200% lambing rate from the first 28!  :thumbsup:

Oh, and every single lamb is a little lady  :excited:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #621 on: April 04, 2016, 01:01:35 pm »
Been awake since 5am, had to get up and feed lambs, then back to bed for an hour or two then back up to check on sheep due to lamb; then back to making milk and feeding animals till about 1/2 past 11am, knackered now I think I might have a sleep then I have history, biology and numbers to get through, plus a page on a certain point in history to write. After that its back out feeding all the animals, make dinner for my brothers and then help my eldest brother milk the buffalo, then its more feeding of animals with help from my youngest bro, he always helps me feed all the animals:) then maybe a book to read before going to bed.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #622 on: April 04, 2016, 03:14:45 pm »
exhausted after reading your post wbf  :wave:

apart from that setting up as self employed after 30+ years as salaried.

I need to develop my business and marketing skills as I didn't get off to a particularly good start (in terms of revenue) as on a whim I called into a fascinating native wools' / spinning /knitting shop in Colwyn Bay, which supports local smallholders and farmers.

www.thelostsheepcompany.co.uk

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:19:08 pm by Brandi »

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #623 on: April 05, 2016, 05:06:24 pm »
I've been here all day without a car still, hopefully my mechanic is progressing well..

Farrier was here to trim 8 ponies feet, due 830am so all chores were done and the ponies shut in and haltered ready to go by 815 tho he didn't arrive til nearly 9 in the end.  All done in a couple of hours and been pottering about since, doing odd jobs and, I hate to admit it, housework..  Well my idea was to get the books onto a spreadsheet as the tax year changes, so suddenly I want to sweep up, wash floors, tidy fridge top heaps, scrub the bathroom sink.. Ah well, there's still time to make a start - only it's chicken feeding/egg collecting time so perhaps later.. !
Ellie Douglas Therapist

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #624 on: April 06, 2016, 12:18:19 am »
I've been organising the replacement of rotten wood round my raised bed. I have a student who works for me once a week but he came in for an extra day as he is on holiday. He's also made a start on the bean canes.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #625 on: April 06, 2016, 08:05:59 am »
Feeding pet lambs and calves and keeping an eye on the ewe which has ringwomb. Just about to go out and check sheep. The weather looks like it is turning for the worst, so I'd better hurry!

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #626 on: April 06, 2016, 03:16:29 pm »
today I have been mostly washing and trying to keep my eyes open. Our 4 year old daughter, (who already hasn't had a good week what with ending up in A&E after cutting her finger on a custard tin that she decided to climb onto our kitchen worktop to get and try and open for a snack (note to self to buy the cartons in future!)), decided to be sick every hour from 8.30 last night till 7 this morning.

The fact that the little ones bed had to be changed 3 times was painful enough but when I went into a seldom used drawer for the "last resort" bed sheets at 2 this morning and found a mouse staring at me between a drawer full of chewed up cotton bejewelled with little black mouse nuggets I just kind of gave up and camped out on the sofa with her!

That said, the chickens, ducks and miscellaneous others (including our 10 and 2 year olds) have been impeccably behaved today. I think they have just looked at the frazzled, slightly haggard wifey in front of them and took pity on me.  Busy counting the hours till bedtime...zzzzz

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #627 on: April 06, 2016, 03:54:03 pm »

chewed up cotton bejewelled with little black mouse nuggets

I laughed harder than I should have at that one....  :roflanim:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #628 on: April 06, 2016, 03:56:12 pm »
awwww poor you [member=145816]Duckduckgoose[/member]. You're doing a brilliant job, I hope that she recovers ok and that you can have a good nights sleep! All the best :thumbsup: As for me I am having to deal with a sickly calf and trying to adopt a lamb onto a ewe. Been all go here what with a shearling giving twins and not having enough milk for them both, ewes needing lambs pulling, vet bills going up all the time what with the 3 buffalo prolapsing last winter and all the while trying to scrape through every month unscathed I am really losing sleep and am feeling angry to boot. Just can't wait till its all over. Now that lambing is coming into full swing the buff are deciding to calve, that means that I am being rushed off my feet nonstop, all the family included, didn't get to bed before 1 last night, as we had to check on the sheep and make sure all was well with them. I still have the garden to do, but that can wait. I hope everyone is doing well, rant over now ;D

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #629 on: April 06, 2016, 04:15:14 pm »
Thanks WBF, you sound hashed too! Maybe I should come for lambing holiday at yours and get some buffalo experience while i'm at it. I feel less stress in a lambing shed full of sheep than I did last night  ;D
Q - you can laugh as much as you want  :roflanim: it's the best medicine so i'm told  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS