Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Today I have been mainly,  (Read 332822 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Today I have been mainly,
« Reply #600 on: March 06, 2016, 12:44:03 pm »
Quite right @rupertthebear. Just found out today that my remaining pure buff orpington maybe a cockerel. I already have a cockerel so if he turns out to be one then does anyone want to buy him? He is pure! Sheep still havent lambed and one buff due to calve very soon!  :excited:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #601 on: March 06, 2016, 10:26:56 pm »
resting                                                                                                                    and                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               getting                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       bored

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #602 on: March 06, 2016, 11:51:26 pm »
Tackling the goat's hooves. Feeling pleased because my hands weren't as bad as usual and I actually managed the trimming myself while the goat was held.  :excited:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #603 on: March 10, 2016, 10:04:21 pm »
making new doors for the male goats pens, in slow motion,

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #604 on: March 11, 2016, 12:18:48 am »
Cleaning out buildings and making a mental note to see my GP tomoz, on account of wondering whether I have a broken bone in my big toe joint. So busy days ahead and stiffness filled wiyh bouts of pain and that is just my foot :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #605 on: March 11, 2016, 02:14:02 pm »
Sneezing on the sofa with a baby and thinking of all the things I could be doing outside. Full of flu here  :unwell:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #606 on: March 11, 2016, 06:58:46 pm »
stacking round bales of straw, by hand and very very slowly.    knackered

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #607 on: March 24, 2016, 10:03:01 am »
Getting the ewes into the byre early this morning before the rain starts, they weren't impressed.  Having moved to a new place which has rubbish fences and many foxes I've decided to bring the girls in for lambing this year.  Doing it the day before they are due is probably not ideal but we've only been here two weeks and it's taken me that long to prep the byre!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #608 on: March 27, 2016, 09:29:46 pm »
Vacuuming (sp) with the new dirt buster,( quite surprised at the power for a battery hoover )  all the covers off switchgear , sockets and generator control box (hence a battery unit , as I had turned the power off  :thumbsup:) dust ,fluff and cobwebs all removed. Most fun is with the cobwebs almost as addictive as bubble wrap popping !

I'm easily pleased.....

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #609 on: March 27, 2016, 09:34:57 pm »
staying out of the sleet and wind as much as possible  :gloomy: keeping calves topped up with food in between nice and bad weather. Lambs growing well and moms are doting  :love: made pizza for tea  :yum:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #610 on: March 28, 2016, 03:30:50 pm »
Spent the morning rescuing lambing sheep from flooded fields after getting a massive dumping of rain overnight. No lives lost just soggy shepherds so all good in the end

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #611 on: March 29, 2016, 04:56:22 pm »
Forcing myself to go into the Co-op, the vets, the gym etc to ask if they'll put up posters for my new massage room in Cupar, sharing with an osteopath, a homeopath and a craniosacral therapist.  I feel quite grown up having a business premises with professional therapists rather than just my room at home, and hope that more people will be willing to give it a try than will drive 8 miles to a smallholding they don't know.

Everyone has been lovely about it, but it's REALLY hard when you get anxiety under stress and are useless at marketing yourself at all let alone to strangers.  But business really needs to pick up and I've already had 2 people who couldn't have come to my place, one a former client who had to give up driving for a while, the other hasn't a car at all.  A third is coming Saturday morning, so fingers crossed more will follow.

Came home from the cleaning job and this ad run to get caught up with the now fixed washing machine drainage outlet (serious flooding on Friday after a clip came off and the whole dishwasher/washer drainage pipe collapsed under the floor).  3 loads later I am nearly caught up but of course it started to rain so it's all in the bathroom and hanging on doors like December rather than on the line..  Hey ho, all in a day.  And the spinach is up in the greenhouse, along with the salad leaves and courgettes, cucs and first tom leaves.  Fingers crossed the frost doesn't get them and eating homegrown will recommence shortly!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #612 on: March 29, 2016, 05:49:42 pm »
My aunt is in the same business as you ellied, do you have to keep doing courses to be up to date on everything? I hope all goes well. Today I have had 1 ewe lamb give birth to a healthy big ewe lamb, so far so good, but the weather is starting to turn so I will be bringing them in me thinks!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #613 on: March 30, 2016, 01:22:08 am »
Picking up my new (to me) wool picker  :excited: :excited: :excited:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #614 on: March 30, 2016, 09:26:06 am »
Trying to keep my patience as the haulier bringing wood chip for the ménage knocks down two gate posts(different gates).  Decides to drive onto the wood chip ménage because he thinks it is concrete (!!!!).  Gets stuck. Gets pulled off by a helpful neighbour.  Has a flat tyre which isn't helping the traction so calls out the tyre people.  Instead of waiting he then drops his trailer in the drive and backs up the main lorry for a second attempt. I stop him and say if he leaves the trailer there and gets stuck again no one can get in and out to help him including the tyre repair guy.  He carries on. He gets stuck again.

I had the same company out 4 years ago and specifically asked (two conversations) for the lorry and wagon because that driver had been in out and dropped off with no damage in 30 mins. This guy finally left after nearly 4 hours with most of the load up the drive because I wouldn't let him anywhere near my 'concrete' ménage. Quick cup of coffee then pulled two gorgeous ewe lambs out of one of my Coloured Ryelands.

Alls well that end well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS