Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More crap news  (Read 34552 times)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
Re: More crap news
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2010, 09:34:23 pm »
Hi James...sorry to hear about Topsy, I know how hard it is when a pet falls ill...its a year this month that we lost our own dog, Jack, after a three month fight and many, many visits to the vet..his death was a real shock and both my wife and I missed him terribly...vowing never to have another dog because we felt so miserable...a month later we brought a rescue dog and two months after that a second rescue dog...neither could replace the one's we lost, but like all animals they are their own characters and we love them just the same...and wouldn't want to be parted from either of them. I hope things work out better for you and my thoughts and best wishes are with you and Topsy...good luck my friend.

Regards
John

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2010, 11:03:16 pm »
Good to hear Topsy is doing ok.  Whle she is not in bad pain, I would let her go on as long as she can, and enjoy your time together.

Sorry about the mumps. 

I think, like me, you have had more than your share of bad luck, and its about time it changed for the better!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2010, 09:38:02 pm »
Lastnight Topsy would not settle and this morning she was way back off colour again. So, we took her to the vet this morning and they kept her in to do a liver biopsy. They phoned us at 4.00pm and told us they were keeping her in overnight as she was very slow in coming round from the anesthetic.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2010, 10:07:19 pm »
Oh, James, I'm so sorry, looks like you are on that roller coaster.  It is awful, I know.  Hope she pulls through, but whatever happens we know you'll do your best for her.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2010, 10:10:04 pm »
Thanks Annie, you know she's been poorly since the end of January and she is still here so she must be a fighter. Fingers crossed that we can now get to the bottom of it and get her well again. Have a safe trip and enjoy. :)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2010, 02:44:13 am »
James I'm not surprised she took ages to come round as the liver metabolises the anaesthetic to remove it from the body and Topsy's liver is compromised. Try to avoid any general anesthetic for her if you can, a local would be much better.

Just a passing thought James but have you had a second opinion from a different practise for Topsy?
Sometimes a different set of eyes and a different point of view helps, and if your vet is a farm vet and not a small animal vet he may not be up to date with things.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:47:23 am by Jackie »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2010, 07:45:33 am »
Hi Jackie. The vets we use are a small animal practice and have several practices in Fife. The problem before was  they did not know what had caused the liver failure so had to treat her "blind". The first time she took unwell the vet said she only had weeks to live but then was amazed at how well she responded. Again the first time she took ill she had so much fluid inside her that they could not get near the liver in any scan to see what was going on. The wee thing has had a rubbish time of it and a few weeks ago she was doing great we were all sure she was well on the mend. Hopefully now they will know what has caused this condition and will be able to treat it accordingly.

We had been told that due to the poor state of her liver that she would be slow in coming round but that it was vital she get the biopsy before her system shut down any more. Looking forward to hopefully getting her home later on this morning.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2010, 11:14:20 am »
She is now home so we just have to wait for the results which should be in early next week.

sandy

« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2010, 05:48:21 pm »
Nice to have veryone back in the fold :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2010, 12:05:02 pm »
The results of Topsys liver biopsy have come back and showed that the vet did not get a piece of liver for them to analyse. We were warned that this could happen as she is so swollen and so her liver is not where it should be. So, we have to try again.

Found another lump on Gynty this morning so next Thursday she goes in for a mammary strip. It's never ending.

sandy

« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2010, 12:37:54 pm »
 :( you have certainly had a lot to put up with, nothing you can do but keep looking after the animals and enjoy today :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2010, 06:51:43 pm »
This is Topsy this afternoon, she goes on for surgery tomorrow as the biopsy they took did not work. So, this time they are having to knock her out and operate and as her liver is in a bad way she goes in to "high risk" category with the anesthetic but we have to do this, as much as I am worried sick for her.

sandy

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2010, 06:59:34 pm »
 :'(We all fell for you and wish you all well!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2010, 02:31:10 pm »
When the vet opened herr up this morning they discovered that the liver was full of tumours. So, we made the decision that it was better to let the wee darling go.

sandy

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2010, 03:03:33 pm »
Oh dear, I am so sorry for you both, no doubt a few tears have been shed, I too have a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes for you, so sad but at least she is out of her suffering, hope things improve.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS