Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breed problems, hybrid vigour - discussion  (Read 18509 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Breed problems, hybrid vigour - discussion
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 07:29:26 pm »
In my area there are more crossbreeds for sale that any purebred puppies. Fashion I think is the answer for this. Give a pup a fancy name and people queue up to get one. Regardless of price I may add. Think on this, just how many of these pups will make good family dogs. How many will stay in good health and how many will end up in a rescue centre. We have Jake a Jack Russell who is a good all round little dog but then I trained him to not chase the cats, chickens or any other animal we have. He does get the rats and mice if we have them in the buildings. Rascal border Collie who has collie eye so hates the dark but still keen to work, always very keen to try and herd the ponies who I am sure just laugh at him, Isla collie cross lab and a lovely girl but once again trained by me. I have taken my time to make sure my dogs are well mannered, know their place and well exercised. Too many live in homes where they are shut in for hours on end. Not enough thought is given to the dogs welfare. Regardless of breeding a dog left shut in for hours on end day after day will go stir crazy. People need to understand just what they are taking on and its hard to know that if you don't know what both parents were like or their history.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 07:47:45 pm »
Off topic, but a friend of ours has been investigating doggy day care as a business option. Another operator told him of one couple who brought their puppy to day care and asked if the center owner could kep the puppy until it was housetrained  :innocent:

I just want a wee Corgi  :eyelashes:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 08:45:58 pm »
Your corgi is out there waiting, Rosemary, be patient :dog:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2015, 03:19:46 pm »
I think for a lot of working people doggy day care would be great. Means they could still have the joy of having a dog without the worry of what do we do when working.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2015, 05:26:22 pm »
The only point in breeding is if you cannot buy in something better. Other than that it's just sentiment and that's fine if you could have only one pup, but you end up bringing a pile of pointless pups into the world. If you just want a dog for the sake of having one, go rescue one.

I can't stand it when folk breed little pet fluffy, for the sake of it. Why???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2015, 06:21:22 pm »
We're lucky, we live on farms or smallholdings, children in our families can learn about nature and life very easily.

I can completely understand why a family would want a litter of pups off their much-loved bitch, kittens from their puss-cat, etc.

It's a sad state of affairs that they must be discouraged, really.  But yes, of course, they must, as must those of us who have no specific need to breed.  Sigh.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2015, 08:23:35 pm »
Sure hope that wummin in Leven is planning a litter of corgis  :eyelashes:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2015, 08:54:53 pm »
have you asked the Queen, Rosemary? She may be looking for good homes  ;D ;D

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2015, 05:58:36 am »
I think for a lot of working people doggy day care would be great. Means they could still have the joy of having a dog without the worry of what do we do when working.

Or they could spend their free time helping out at their local rescue centre, exercising, grooming, cleaning out kennels etc?

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2015, 01:40:44 pm »
*sticks oar in*

I rescue, I foster, I rehome,  I do travel runs for rehoming,  I do home checks and I have two rescues as permanent dogs (Denzel and Luca).

I also have Misty, a working cocker who is in pup to produce a successor and litter, after which she will be neutered.

Why have I bred her?   Because I wanted a Misty line girl for the future, because she is lovely and special and she is worth breeding.

Why don't I get another rescue.... because I don't want another rescue.  Because just as I own some new and some secondhand clothes, just because there are more secondhand clothes doesn't mean they are always suitable.

Will Misty's pups end up in a shelter?  No, because of their breeding and because I will track them.

Should only pedigree's or pure breds be bred?  No, because their is value in diversity.  IMHO, the KC hasn't been such a good guardian of dogs health to date.

So, shoot me, it's not inconsistent to breed a dog and do rescue work, it's a question of balance.  I love my old, blind, tortured rescues.... but I don't want another one and I have faith in Misty and the Sire's line to produce lovely puppies that i can home and keep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2015, 05:03:54 pm »
Nicely put, KC  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2015, 05:18:50 pm »
  IMHO, the KC hasn't been such a good guardian of dogs health to date.

Hear, hear!
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2015, 08:56:14 pm »
My niece lost her collie to cancer. She had a breakdown and my brother went out and bought her another collie puppy. this did help her recover. Now both her and her husband work so Archie spends his days either with my brother, the in-laws or his owners depending on shift work. He is now 6 months old, very sociable. without this family network my niece  and her husband could not have a dog. he is well loved by all. My brother who has never been a dog person says he so enjoys his company. I would never have another rescue dog after two bad experiences. this does not make me a bad person just one who could not go through any more heartbreak. I am sure there are lots of working people like my niece who would love a dog. Doggy day care would make this possible.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS