Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Senility in dogs  (Read 3910 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Senility in dogs
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:15:33 pm »
My GSD x Labrador is now 12 1/2 and showing signs of age with cataracts and weak back legs. She still enjoys life and likes to romp with OH's 4 year old guide dog and will even chase a ball if it's not too far. Today she had her annual check and, apart from being prescribed and anti-inflammatory to help with the discomfort in her hips, passed with flying colours.

The problem we have with her is that she has taken to bringing lumps of poo in from the garden and either dropping them on the floor or depositing them in the other old dog's bed, which upsets him. The vet says it sounds like senility although he admits he's never come across it before. The answer is obviously for me to clear up as soon as the dogs do anything but I'm not always here to do so.

Has anyone else come across this strange behaviour?

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Senility in dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 09:33:57 pm »
Just bought aktivait for Woody who is around 15, he's began sort of random barking and sometimes seems a wee bit muddled. Used that a few years ago for Zoe after she had a vestibular episode.

AnnS

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:53:15 pm »
Never heard of this but normally poo signifies territory has anything changed where he may think he needs to state or reclaim his territory?
________
Caroline

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:12:03 pm »
How cheeky putting poo into the other bed! Has he upset her lately   :-J  :sunshine:

Senility can come in all sorts of weird behaviours. Sometimes senile behaviour can be confusing for the animal leading to stress. I wonder if this is your girls problem. In these cases Adaptil (by collar or diffuser) can help, or zylkene tablets which works in a similar way.
Adaptil gives off the scent of maternal,pheromones where zylkene tablets help the body release the maternal pheromones. Both are supportive not drugs so can be used safely alongside medication. If these.dont help ask your vet about one of the medicines to help the blood flow to the brain which often reduces the severity of the senility. However they are medicines so will need checked for compatibility with  your girl and her other medicines first.

You have done well still having her at 12 1/2 with her breedx size,  :dog:  :love:  great work  :thumbsup: hope you can settle her behaviour, it cannot be nice for any of you  :fc:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:40:56 am »
Mmmm, lovely, poo in the bed!! 

One of my labs is 12 1/2 and does have a few odd moments now and then.  She is getting weak in her back legs, cant jump up into the truck anymore, and trots along rather than runs.  She does get very upset now if I have visitors (not very often as I am an anti social old bird!) especially if they bring a dog.  She will take herself off to the laundry room and lie there until they go.  Its her escape pad!!   I leave her be and let her do her own thing otherwise she gets really distressed.  I think as they get older, certain things start to distress them, any change in the house will knock them for six.  Have you changed, moved around anything in the house.  Even changed their bedding in their beds.  Little things seem to affect the old biddies more than the young ones. xx

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 08:58:30 am »
Our old terrier developed strange behaviours ( more the whining and random barking rather than poo gathering and redistribution) and our vet said this was evidence of / suggestive of dementia - but ackivaite from the vet did seem to have an effect and he was much calmer and happier. It made little or no difference for a friend's dog so I guess you just try it and see. Good luck.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:11:00 am »
I asked a friend who runs a dog rescue and he said he has had a few dogs do this, but doesn't believe it is a sign of going senile. Just present bringing to you and the other dog (or a snack for later). He said he had a case of one dog who caught a rabbit and dropped that into the house for him.

Hope you find a way to stop it, not the best present and hope it is not a sign of anything else
________
Caroline

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 08:23:00 pm »
Not my idea of a present and Victor isn't too impressed either. She has been known to eat the stuff but not once it's in the house.

She has taken to pacing about occasionally as well and, from the sound of things, could be going senile. Nothing has changed in the house and she gets on find with Victor, mostly by ignoring him but that's always been the case. He tends to be the odd one out but he's very self effacing and accepts his lot.

I hate it when animals get old and you know it's only a matter of time. I won't have another dog of my own as I am no longer fit enough to look after one. When we lose Daisy and Victor (who is 6 months younger than Daisy) we will be down to the one dog and, as he is my OH's guide dog, he will definitely not be mine in any way.  :(

Thanks for the advice. I will look into the Adaptil.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS